Stock arms and aftermarket front driveshaft?

bthomas

Can it be done for the front only? I know I'll need them for the rear when the time comes, but I'd rather not replace the fronts unless I need to. I've got a 2012 2dr auto, my 2.5in lift gave me about 3.5 +/- of actual lift. I'm pretty happy with how it rides and drives. I had AEV geo brackets on for a while and honestly couldn't tell a nickels difference in how it drove, other than I hit them a lot on rocks, so I took them back off. So, can a guy run a 1310 shaft up front with stock arms, or do I need adjustable LCA's for sure, in case of vibes? I've searched all over and can't find a definite answer. Thanks!

Last edited:
Your control arms will have NO bearing on whether or not you can run an after market drive shaft up front - ONLY the rear.

Your control arms will have NO bearing on whether or not you can run an after market drive shaft up front - ONLY the rear.

Thanks Eddie! I had a hunch that was the case. I would think that with stock arms and a lift, you'd have a good pinion angle, but suffer in caster. I'll put some good JJ arms as the stockers start to fail.

Billy

Last edited:
Thanks Eddie! I had a hunch that was the case. I would think that with stock arms and a lift, you'd have a good pinion angle, but suffer in caster. I'll put some good JJ arms as the stockers start to fail.

Billy

By chance do you know what your caster/pinon angles are at?

FWIW, I am scheduled for gears at Off Road Evolution in a couple of week and while they are at it, I am having them change the front driveshaft to a 1350 Reel. I am running stock arms with caster right around 4.5*. From what I have heard from a few members here, keeping the caster less than 5, which keeps the pinion greater than 1, will keep the driveline vibe free.

By chance do you know what your caster/pinon angles are at?

FWIW, I am scheduled for gears at Off Road Evolution in a couple of week and while they are at it, I am having them change the front driveshaft to a 1350 Reel. I am running stock arms with caster right around 4.5*. From what I have heard from a few members here, keeping the caster less than 5, which keeps the pinion greater than 1, will keep the driveline vibe free.

I have never checked it myself, or had it on a rack. It should still be whatever stock is. If yours is 4.5 with stock arms/axles I'm sure mine would be the same.

I would think they would be close, however, every Jeep is slightly different. Also, I am running AEV drop brackets.

There is a write up here on WAL outlining how to check your angles yourself. Probably worth the time just to check.

I would think they would be close, however, every Jeep is slightly different. Also, I am running AEV drop brackets.

There is a write up here on WAL outlining how to check your angles yourself. Probably worth the time just to check.

I'll take a look for the write up, thanks! I have an angle finder at my disposal and have never made the time to look...
Life sure has been in the way of Jeep stuff the last few months!

FWIW, I have a harbor freight digital angle finder, after using the garage floor to set zero and putting it on top of the top ball joint, I read 3.6-3.8 degrees. (Can't get the meter to read the same twice!) and after measuring between the back side of the front spring perches my lift is only 2 5/8 after adding weight.

Last edited:
Top Bottom