Steering Wheel Wobble

jrr0189

So, I have been chasing a problem with my steering wheel wobbling at speeds between 55 mph and 60 mph. It is not the death wobble that I have experienced several times when I had bad ball joints. I have a 2009 Jeep JK with 176,000 miles, a 2.5" lift, and 285/70/17 BFG KO2 tires. I replaced the shocks with Rancho 9500XL about 30,000 miles ago, and about 15,000 miles ago, I replaced the ball joints with Teraflex HD and the steering stabilizer with Rancho, and in the last couple of months, I have replaced the tie rods, drag link, and wheel hubs. I have had the tires rotated and balanced. After I had worked the tie rods, drag link, and wheel hub, I had it realigned. After doing all this I still feel a light wobble in the steering wheel at those speeds. I seeking any advice what else may be the problem. What else may I need to look at to help solve this problem?

I would check your track bar which is usually the culprit. Either the joints have failed causing lateral play or the holes in the brackets have opened up.

Have someone get in the Jeep while it’s on the ground and on its own weight and turn the steering wheel back and forth. Having the Jeep running will make this easier. Watch the front components while they do this and should make loose parts easy to see, especially the track bar on both ends.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Personally, I have found that a speed related wobble in the steering wheel is almost always a tire balancing issue or a wheel that is out of round. Even if you got your tires balanced, I would have them balanced again. There have been times in the past where it's taken up to 3 times before the shop got it right. I would also recommend having them use tape on weights. If this has been going on a while, your tread could be scalloped as well and that won't help anything.

Personally, I have found that a speed related wobble in the steering wheel is almost always a tire balancing issue or a wheel that is out of round. Even if you got your tires balanced, I would have them balanced again. There have been times in the past where it's taken up to 3 times before the shop got it right. I would also recommend having them use tape on weights. If this has been going on a while, your tread could be scalloped as well and that won't help anything.
I would check your track bar which is usually the culprit. Either the joints have failed causing lateral play or the holes in the brackets have opened up.

Have someone get in the Jeep while it’s on the ground and on its own weight and turn the steering wheel back and forth. Having the Jeep running will make this easier. Watch the front components while they do this and should make loose parts easy to see, especially the track bar on both ends.
This and this. I just had this battle with my Jeep, and while it was mostly the ball joints which I replaced with Synergy, I also had my 35 inch Nittos balanced twice at Discount Tire until they were spot on - and indeed with tape weights I should add. After replacing the ball joints it was very minimal and only between 50 and 60 MPH much like yours.

On top of all that, I had already replaced the trackbar and even put the steering stabilizer back to stock which dramatically reduced the loose feeling and bump steer. I had a Rancho stabilizer before and found it too flighty for my liking, but am still running Rancho shocks that still ride great since my Jeep is my daily.

jrr0189

Thanks! I wondered if the tire could still be unbalanced even if it had already been balanced. It is my daily, but I do not drive many miles, so I wondered if the compound is also getting old.

My tires were balanced for one rotation and then 3000 miles later, I already had that very slight steering wheel wobble. After rotation again, it went away.

Im sure when I get that one specific configuration of tire rotation, I will have that little wobble back.

Thanks! I wondered if the tire could still be unbalanced even if it had already been balanced. It is my daily, but I do not drive many miles, so I wondered if the compound is also getting old.
Check the date code on the side of the tire. If they reach 5 years, it is a good idea to replace the tires.

jrr0189

Thanks, y’all. I will look at the track bar and have the tires Rebalanced. Could the control arms be a culprit? Since I have not changed those.

jrr0189

Okay, I have not been able to get my tire balanced due to the schedule, but it has gotten worse, and the death wobble is back, so that I will inspect everything again. I have found some information about teraflex ball joints failing after 10,000 miles, so I’m curious if they have worn out prematurely due to the tie rods/ drag link going bad and bigger tires. Have any of yall seen ball joints fail easily?

Okay, I have not been able to get my tire balanced due to the schedule, but it has gotten worse, and the death wobble is back, so that I will inspect everything again. I have found some information about teraflex ball joints failing after 10,000 miles, so I’m curious if they have worn out prematurely due to the tie rods/ drag link going bad and bigger tires. Have any of yall seen ball joints fail easily?
Ball joints are a wear and tear item so they can absolutely fail early given certain facts such as tire size and wheel offset that puts greater stress on them. Certainly a good thing to check when going through the front end.

jeeeep

Hooked
It is a 2009.I bought it used and it has had a lift since I bought the Jeep. It has 2.5 in rough country leveling kit.

have you checked that the bolts on the steering box are tight?

Does the pitman arm look like a dropped pitman arm? look for wear/play on the pitman arm to steering box connection as well as the drag link.

jrr0189

Have you checked that the bolts on the steering box are tight?

Does the pitman arm look like a dropped pitman arm? look for wear/play on the pitman arm to steering box connection as well as the drag link
I have not looked at the steering box, I have noticed slop in the steering wheel. That is why I changed out the drag link that connects to the pitman arm, but It still is loose at the steering wheel.

Last edited:

Hammmerhead

I dont drive mine a lot, but when it sits a while in the winter it takes a good bit for the tires smooth out, especially if I have them in the 24-26lb range. You might try airing them up to 32-35 and just see what happens. Other than that, check all your bushings for the track and upper/lower arms. Although, It could be something as simple as slinging your weights off a rim.

jeeeep

Hooked
I have not looked at the steering box, I have noticed slop in the steering wheel. That is why I changed out the drag link that connects to the pitman arm, but It still is loose at the steering wheel.
dropped pitman arm or stock?
Have you had someone steer while you watch the pitman arm for movement?
If it's been doing this since you bought it, and you've replaced quite a bit, I'd be looking at the trackbar for wallowed out holes or the pitman arm for play.

jrr0189

I have not changed the pitman arm, so it is stock. I have been chasing the problem over the last couple of years by replacing all the parts, but the death wobble trickle its way back. I will look at the steering box, the track bar and the pitman arm. Being my luck it is a mix of all those.

jrr0189

I have not changed the pitman arm, so it is stock. I have been chasing the problem over the last couple of years by replacing all the parts, but the death wobble trickle its way back. I will look at the steering box, the track bar and the pitman arm. Being my luck it is a mix of all those.
Well, the weather in north Texas got very cold, and the wobble has gotten worse. I can't even go past 50 miles per hour without the death wobble showing up. I don't know if the problem has gotten worse or if the weather has an impact on the air pressure or bushing, making he problem even more noticeable. I am going to lift the jeep an inspect all parts this weekend to make sure everything is okay.

Top Bottom