Steel Vs. Aluminum

-AINOKEA-

Hooked
I'm sorry, the glare is blocking the view of my screen, what is that you wrote there about aluminum? ;)

View attachment 359552

Seriously OP, I mounted these right after I had the wheels powder coated clear. I took them from my loading dock to the powder coater before they even got the chance to get dusty. If this is the look you're looking to keep, this is the only way to do it IMHO.

Damn I shoulda had this done on my machete rings before I installed them. I’ve never heard of clear powder coat.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE

fiend

Caught the Bug
No matter what the rings are going to look like shit. IMG_4703.jpg

2nd.gunman

Caught the Bug
It really depends on where you are and the grade of aluminium. I’ve made some brackets etc out of 5005 and 5083 for my jeep and they been on there for years without issue. I only sand with 600 in the orbital and then give them a quick coat of wax before fitting and never touch them again.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

Ddays

Hooked
My favorite.
But make sure you ceramic coat or some other preventative polish and maintain the shine on them. Ask me how I know....

Edit***
I see your second paragraph now. I wish I did that to mine!!!

I learned the hard way too. My old set of Chamber Pros turned to shit even with me constantly after them. I ended up having them PC'd black and they live on the JL now.

No matter what the rings are going to look like shit. View attachment 359556

Very true - the rings I left alone because of this. ^^ I use a file to knock off the ragged pieces and gouges, but otherwise I just keep these cleaned up.

fiend

Caught the Bug
Not many rocks to cause scratches like that around these parts. Lol.

Yeah, the rings serve double duty in the rocks. Plenty of them here in California.

I learned the hard way too. My old set of Chamber Pros turned to shit even with me constantly after them. I ended up having them PC'd black and they live on the JL now.

Very true - the rings I left alone because of this. ^^ I use a file to knock off the ragged pieces and gouges, but otherwise I just keep these cleaned up.

When I first got mine, I asked the powder coat guy about clear or silver. He advised that it would yellow over time so I went with his recommendation to powder coated the rings gun metal gray and the wheels black. There’s still some of the Gun metal left amongst the scrapes and gouges. Thankfully I don’t have to deal with the salt and moisture you guys have on the East Coast. I left that behind years ago.

That's the sign of a happy Jeep [emoji2]

Haha. Let’s just say she ain’t a caged and depressed mall crawler pining to be free. [emoji23]

We gotta get yours up and running again!

Ddays

Hooked
When I first got mine, I asked the powder coat guy about clear or silver. He advised that it would yellow over time so I went with his recommendation to powder coated the rings gun metal gray and the wheels black. There’s still some of the Gun metal left amongst the scrapes and gouges. Thankfully I don’t have to deal with the salt and moisture you guys have on the East Coast. I left that behind years ago.

I always thought the same about the yellowing, but when I asked the PC guy about that, he said that what he uses does not. I actually made him swear to that in front of the garage owner who's a buddy of mine. Fingers crossed. We're at one year and they still look brand new.

Top Bottom