Spring issue

Kevgund

So this is a new one for me, the other day I noticed noise in the rear when I hit a bump so I looked around under my Jeep.

What I found was the rear drivers spring has shifted off the perch and is not right against my axel and track bar.

Has this happened to anyone before and if so is it driveway fixable without a lift?

Thanks in advance.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Sounds like the shocks you're running allow too much droop or more so than your springs have height when unloaded.

Kevgund

That is exactly what I was thinking, they are the Rocksport long travel shocks that come with the Metalcloak 2.5" lift.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
LOL sounds about right, I just watched that entire lift install video you did and feel inspired to try to fix this myself. Fingers crossed.
Kinda lame that your kit came with shocks that are too long but it is something that I have seen a LOT of over the last 25 years. Unfortunately, the only real fix is to install limiting straps, shorter shocks, spring retainers or taller coils.

Kevgund

Kinda lame that your kit came with shocks that are too long but it is something that I have seen a LOT of over the last 25 years. Unfortunately, the only real fix is to install limiting straps, shorter shocks, spring retainers or taller coils.
Yes exactly very lame.. I spoke with Metalcloak and they are standing by their kit. They suggested going back to the shop that installed it and getting them to look at and fix it.... not ideal because I lost trust in that shop but they did the install less than a year ago so they should stand by their work.

jeeeep

Hooked
Yes exactly very lame.. I spoke with Metalcloak and they are standing by their kit. They suggested going back to the shop that installed it and getting them to look at and fix it.... not ideal because I lost trust in that shop but they did the install less than a year ago so they should stand by their work.
when a vendor blames the install and offers no solution as to what to look for to fix the problem, it's a vendor to stay away from.

jeeeep

Hooked
will be interested to the shop's response, I'm betting they'll blame the kit.
Were there shock mount extensions in the kit? I've seen other kits with longer shocks but they included lower shock mount extensions to make the longer shocks work, the lower mounts lower to hangup on stuff but the "more shock travel" marketing sounds good.
TF had this when I was looking at kits for my JKU, luckily for me they had shitty tech support and didn't respond to my questions, I went with a kit where they responded to every question and 12 years later still answer my emails regarding their lift kit.

Top Bottom