Spark plug knock or something worse?

Saharacon

Long story. 2010 Jeep irregular oil changes. Mostly a offroad toy and snow. Last winter went wheeling. Was drifting around hit rev limiter jeep shut down. Restarted with out any noticeable issues. Went home and drove around on weekends with it for 3 months no problems.

Mpg starts to drop off sharply about a month ago. Figured at 110k miles time for tune up. Found during spark plug changes cylinder 6 spark had a closed gap. Hmmm also my exhaust manifolds on both aides had missing bolt heads one right next to cylider 6.. Replaced manifolds and bolts and gaskets. Plus champion spark plugs and a new blue stream distro. Oil change with royal Purple. Go to start the jeep and a horrible metal on metal knock is heard. Very fast paced.

Shut engine down. Check plugs new plug is crushed on cylinder 6. Okay.. weird. Defective plug? Get new NGK plug for that side install try again. Knock is still there very loudly. Let jeep try to idle for a second eventually it stalls. Pulled plugs again theyre costed in fresh fuel now but nothing crushed.

About to pull valve covers and start taking a deeper dive. Any suggestions? Should I go ahead and swap all my plugs out with NGk? I heard champion was crap.

I sounds like it will be necessary to pull the head to investigate, unless there is some tiny camera which can enter via the spark plug hole. Probably foreign matter in the cylinder which hopefully has not destroyed the cylinder/piston/head.

Last edited:

Saharacon

I sounds like it will be necessary to pull the head to investigate, unless there is some tiny camera which can enter via the spark plug hole. Probably foreign matter in the cylinder which hopefully had not destroyed the cylinder/piston/head.

This is my next step this week. I just find things very odd but thats my luck. I'm hoping if there is an issue it's in the head and I can just have a new head put on and be good. I do most if not allnwork myself but I don't feel confident diving into pistons

Saharacon

Found these metal shavings behind the throttle body after removal. Tomorrow's job tsckles the manifold and valve covers.

Attachments

• 20220516_175423.jpg
    20220516_175423.jpg
    124.3 KB · Views: 14

cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door
Your piston is smacking the spark plug. You did some big damage to the head/valves and prob the piston when your over rev’d it. Prob other internal damage. Start looking for a new engine…….

Saharacon

Your piston is smacking the spark plug. You did some big damage to the head/valves and prob the piston when your over rev’d it. Prob other internal damage. Start looking for a new engine…….
Kinda what I'm leaning towards as well. These are big chunks. Oops
Head and valve demo coming up in the few couple days so I'll get a way better look at the damage. If the pistons are in good shape im thinking of trying new heads they're only 250 each side local remained. If pistons show any signs of damage time for new engine thinking I might go with jasper unless rebuilding a single cylinder is a possibility

cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door
Kinda what I'm leaning towards as well. These are big chunks. Oops
Head and valve demo coming up in the few couple days so I'll get a way better look at the damage. If the pistons are in good shape im thinking of trying new heads they're only 250 each side local remained. If pistons show any signs of damage time for new engine thinking I might go with jasper unless rebuilding a single cylinder is a possibility
Even if you dont see piston damage it doesn’t mean there isn’t rod, bearing, or crank damage below.

Saharacon

Even if you dont see piston damage it doesn’t mean there isn’t rod, bearing, or crank damage below.
Any particular way to verify? Pulling pan and inspecting with manual rotation? I have the jeep Bible but books are only good for so much before experience is needed

jeeeep

Hooked
if you're finding metal pieces, doing a full tear down is the only way to rule out any other damage.

Then you may as well do a complete rebuild, reman engine may be cheaper.

Saharacon

if you're finding metal pieces, doing a full tear down is the only way to rule out any other damage.

Then you may as well do a complete rebuild, reman engine may be cheaper.
I'm looking at 505a stroked 3.8 dude its insane all the 5.3 and 6.0 ls engines are gone. My whole ls swap plan is outta the budget now with like engine costs upwards of 8k.

Bierpower

Hooked
I'm looking at 505a stroked 3.8 dude its insane all the 5.3 and 6.0 ls engines are gone. My whole ls swap plan is outta the budget now with like engine costs upwards of 8k.
They're still out there for $4k you just need to move up to an LT.

They haven't made a production vehicle with an LS for nearly a decade. They're getting sparse.

Saharacon

They haven't made a production vehicle with an LS for nearly a decade. They're getting sparse.
Thanks I havent kept up with much been running a hvac business the past 5 years

JT@623

Hooked
Thanks I havent kept up with much been running a hvac business the past 5 years

The LT is the new LS and the way to go

sm31

Since this issue may involve the rev limiter: Are 3.8's "more" susceptible to damage than other motors if they bounce off the limiter? Some engines can hit the rev limit regularly without damage but it sounds like this is not one of them?

Since this issue may involve the rev limiter: Are 3.8's "more" susceptible to damage than other motors if they bounce off the limiter? Some engines can hit the rev limit regularly without damage but it sounds like this is not one of them?
Only if the engineers were stupid. If it is a manual transmission it is not the engineers who were stupid.

Saharacon

I'll post pics as I go along. Upper and lower intake manifold out of the way. Fuel Injection out. Zero signs of valve damage on top of head. Will need to now pull heads and inspect bottom plus pistons.

One thing I noticed. Cylinder 6 ports have tiny tiny metal shavings in them. Nothing severe fine dust maybe 1 or 2 larger chunks. Trying to up load a pic.
Also fuel Injector for Cylinder 6 has some build up on it. The other 5 were clean as a whistle.

Attachments

• 20220519_174827.jpg
    20220519_174827.jpg
    215.5 KB · Views: 15
  • 20220519_174904.jpg
    20220519_174904.jpg
    102.4 KB · Views: 14
  • 20220519_181424.jpg
    20220519_181424.jpg
    161.3 KB · Views: 14

Saharacon

From what I've heard speaking with 3 different jeep guys. One of them being from 505 performance. The 3.8 is horrible with heat. It's like it was designed to manage heat in the worst way possible. Everything just over heats and wears out. It doesn't move enough air for what it's worth. There's a HO 3.8 from 505 and 4.1l conversion that solve most if not all issues the stock 3.8 has in the jeep.

Top Bottom