Sound Upgrade Question

reelsilly

Hey all. I'm looking to upgrade or "better" the sound quality in my rig. I have a 2012 sport and everything is factory sound. I've read where some folks have done polyfiber in the sound bar, some even did the polyfiber in the dash as well. Before I go stuffing crap in my dash and sound bar, I'm wondering if anyone has done anything different?

I see that Qtec has a product called the Boom Mat that claims to pretty much do the same as the polyfiber. Does anyone use these? Here's a link to them.
http://www.quadratec.com/products/12021_1127.htm

Eventually I will get the hidden kicker sub for under the seat but as of now, I want to get what I have right, or sounding better I should say.

I did poly in the dash, sound bar, and sub enclosure and it made a major improvement. I also spent like $100 on the upgraded kicker speakers for the dash and bar which were better than the premium alpines, but not by a ton.

I did the poly-fill on my soundbar, and even some on the stock sub. I didn't even think to do it in the dash speakers. I can definitely tell a difference, it's still not the best stereo in the world, but it sounds alot cleaner than it did previously, and now I can actually hear it if we have the top off and going freeway speeds.

Boom mat is good stuff but for a cheaper alternative there is a product I used called 'peel and seal' sold at big box hardware stores.

Boom mat is good stuff but for a cheaper alternative there is a product I used called 'peel and seal' sold at big box hardware stores.

Yup, it's a bituminous waterproofing flashing / membrane usually used to seal around soffits / eaves / openings.

Hey all. I'm looking to upgrade or "better" the sound quality in my rig. I have a 2012 sport and everything is factory sound. I've read where some folks have done polyfiber in the sound bar, some even did the polyfiber in the dash as well. Before I go stuffing crap in my dash and sound bar, I'm wondering if anyone has done anything different?

I see that Qtec has a product called the Boom Mat that claims to pretty much do the same as the polyfiber. Does anyone use these? Here's a link to them.
http://www.quadratec.com/products/12021_1127.htm

Eventually I will get the hidden kicker sub for under the seat but as of now, I want to get what I have right, or sounding better I should say.

Replacing the head with an aftermarket unit is fairly easy and will make a huge difference. Crutchfield has good prices and a lot of great information. From my experience the speakers are not the problem. I had the '11 with the 7-speaker system.

Does your stereo sound better when using your phone, CD or another source for input?

I did poly in the dash, sound bar, and sub enclosure and it made a major improvement. I also spent like $100 on the upgraded kicker speakers for the dash and bar which were better than the premium alpines, but not by a ton.

Kind of been looking at this route as well. Do not want to spend the coin on the 9 speaker Alpine upgrade (and don't like how the subwoofer is in the cargo area floor).

Actually to me the standard 8 speaker system sounds pretty good. But, I figure down the road could get the Kickers Sub woofer that mounts behind the seat, and/or get the kickers upgraded speakers.

Our 2012s have 2 ohm factory speakers. The kicker upgrade are 4ohm, so if you go that route and don't upgrade the head unit you essentially cut power to the speakers in half.

There is a very thorough write up on another forum by rubiconss which helped make my decision. I did the following which looks OEM and sounds great.

Upgraded sound bar to Infiniti 6032si
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B002C8AFEE/ref=cm_sw_r_other_awd_dIy7wbK4SQ3VJ

Upgraded subwoofer to Pioneer TS-SW2002D2 https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00JQTU434/ref=cm_sw_r_other_awd_Swy7wbJGFPZWH

Swapped capacitors in tweeters (I would do this last should you decide you need it)

Added a Mosconi Pico 2 amp behind the OEM head unit which solely powers the sub. This amp is literally about the size of your palm and is very clean. No amps on the floor for me.

I poly filled the sound bar and the sub enclosure. I also used some roofing material called peel and seal to line the sub enclosure. An alternative to the costly dynamat.

Top Bottom