Skid Plates

Jsouder53

Hooked
I have M.O.R.E. Skid plates for the most part. LOD bumpers and sliders.

EDIT: what RESURECTIONJK says. I should’ve clarified that I only have an engine/transmission skid plate and evap skid plate made by m.o.r.e. The rest are factory. Anymore than that is unnecessary extra weight.

Last edited:
Factory skids for me. They do their job fine and they don’t hide leaks like most skid plate systems. My gas tank skid looks like hammered crap but, it’s holding up just fine. If anything I’d run an oil pan skid and perhaps one that covers up the trans cooler lines but other than that, I’m pretty against a full on skid plate system.

CalSgt

Hooked
Factory skids for me. They do their job fine and they don’t hide leaks like most skid plate systems. My gas tank skid looks like hammered crap but, it’s holding up just fine. If anything I’d run an oil pan skid and perhaps one that covers up the trans cooler lines but other than that, I’m pretty against a full on skid plate system.
This... I added an EVO engine/trans skid and some spicer diff covers. My gas tank skid looks hammered too but it is still doing its job

dyn0mitemat

Factory skids always worked good for me for wherever they put them. They’ll look like bacon but do their job.
I went with MORE on the engine/trans skid because evo’s doesn’t fit the new ‘21 3.6L engine mounts, else I would have went with them as I had good luck with the protek skids on my JK

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Factory. I really really hate all that stupid heavy, heat trapping and hard to remove aftermarket crap that makes servicing my Jeep difficult to do. While there once was a legitimate need for aftermarket skids, like back in the 90's and earlier, that day has long gone. But then, that's just me.

Q-Ball

I added the EVO engine/transmission skid plate to my stock skids. The stock ones work fine and have taken a few pretty good shots, not to mention dragging the gas skid plate over a rock last week. My only concern with the stock skids is shearing off a mounting bolt, and I haven't so far.

Eby Creek

Next Venture Motorsports Aluminum with UHMW.

Attachments

• IMG_3912.JPG
    IMG_3912.JPG
    152 KB · Views: 20
  • IMG_3857.JPG
    IMG_3857.JPG
    136.8 KB · Views: 19
  • IMG_3908.JPG
    IMG_3908.JPG
    177.4 KB · Views: 16
  • IMG_3909.JPG
    IMG_3909.JPG
    138.4 KB · Views: 18

RCC

I agree with what Eddie says about trapping heat,mud,debris,etc.

I did buy a single skid from MORE that covers the oil pan and trans lines though. Every time I look under gladiator I see some random rock hitting that spot, so I covered it.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
I really hate oil/trans skids but have actually seen where it can be of help or at least, to protect the cooler lines from getting caught on renegade roots or other trail debris and getting torn out. That said, I have yet to install anything to protect them on my Gladiator and honestly, don't know if I ever will. After 15 years, Moby still doesn't have anything installed but then, he's just a mall crawler.

Jay Ellyou

Thanks Jeepers, like the look of the M.O.R.E products and aluminium so definitely the way to go as I am weight conscious, also good to hear your views on the factory skids, didn’t realise they were that good so will just probably protect the oil pan and trans cooler lines and maybe the FAD, I setting up for more touring so not looking to go rock crawling but still want to be confident exploring the outback

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass
I went a season on the factory skids and I dented up the oil pan, the exhaust pipe by the motor and I even had something go between the factory skids and hit the transfer case. Tons of scraps and scratches just like everyone else. Nothing was major but I went with the metalcloak full belly pan system. But it’s going to be a pain to keep them clean from mud and snow. I lifted it and still haven’t got wheels and tires for next season but hopefully I don’t hit every rock on the trails like this year LOL
You need to pick better lines it sounds like.

I really hate oil/trans skids but have actually seen where it can be of help or at least, to protect the cooler lines from getting caught on renegade roots or other trail debris and getting torn out. That said, I have yet to install anything to protect them on my Gladiator and honestly, don't know if I ever will. After 15 years, Moby still doesn't have anything installed but then, he's just a mall crawler.
42" tires are the obvious solution. No need for skid plates! 😃

Top Bottom