sizing question

tinkering1

This may have been answered before but I haven't found it if so. I've seen several times someone write that you shouldn't take actual size into account, but only the size stamped on the tire. Why is that?

meep97

You should only use the size that is stamped on the sidewalls when referring to things such as lifts. In example, when they say they recommend 35x12.50 tires or something is only rated for 35x12.50 tires. Also, if someone asks what tire size you have you should say what is stamped on the sidewall.

You should only use actual tire size (with wheel and tire mounted and full weight on the tire) when referring to calculations. In example, setting your speedometer or any technical stuff.

jeffd

I never understood that either as you can have 10 different brand tires all marked say 315/70-17 and all will have a different actual size. Seems like the lift companies would be safer stating actual tire size. You can have a 2" difference say from actual 35" to actual 33" so what is it going to be?

tinkering1

yeah, I've been looking at going with Mickey Thompson.....MTZ I think in a 35x12.5x17. The actual size is something like 34.6 and I'm wondering if I can get away with it without changing the gears cuz the wheels and tires will break me for awhile. I've got the 32" Sahara stock tires now on my sport that I "bargained for" in the sale, but they look awful small since I put the Rubicon express 2.5" lift on a couple weeks ago. I'm concerned with going 35 then finding out I need to change drive shafts or something else that may cost big. I'm on a pretty limited budget but I really prefer the 35 to the 33.

Cajun JK

I'm asking the same questions you are. I have a sport S with 3.73 gears and want to put 285/70r17's on it. I am also concerned if they will mess with the power band and if I need to change gears out jumping to a 33 inch tire. I was looking at a gear chart and it showed jumping up in size needed also going to a 4.?? gear. To much to think about. I'm gonna follow your thread and see what info you come up with.

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass
I'm asking the same questions you are. I have a sport S with 3.73 gears and want to put 285/70r17's on it. I am also concerned if they will mess with the power band and if I need to change gears out jumping to a 33 inch tire. I was looking at a gear chart and it showed jumping up in size needed also going to a 4.?? gear. To much to think about. I'm gonna follow your thread and see what info you come up with.

As Lon as you calibrate your speedo you will be fine. I run 3.73's with 35's and it is fine. The 3.6L's power is in the top end. The higher the rpm the better it performs.

I have 35's on my 2012 4 door with 3.21's. You'll be fine!

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
As mentioned, when manufacturers of lift kits talk about what size tire you can run, they are referring to what is stamped on the sidewall and NOT the actual measurement. An advertise inch sized tire will ALWAYS be smaller than what is listed. When it comes to metric tires, you will have to convert what they measure up to and then apply it to what a comparable inch sized tire will be close to. A 315 does NOT = a 35" tire as a 35" tire will really be about 33".

Top Bottom