Should your steering wheels move?

Daniel Partida

Hello, my name is Daniel and first time posting on a thread. Have a 2017 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon, 3 inch lift with new front king 2.0 coilovers. Issue I'm having is abit of what feels like wandering on the freeway, kinda feels like the its slightly moving side to side here and there, would say more in small bumps on the freeway. Full steersmarts links up front, and real question I have is when I rock the jeep side to side I've noticed I see my steering wheel move maybe close to a inch of movement. I've asked a friend of mine if it does that on his jeep and his steering wheel didnt move....any ideas? Something normal? Kinda stumped...help!

JT@623

Hooked
Start with tire pressure. Then check castor angles. I haven’t a heard a whole lot of good about steer smart stuff.

Upvote 0

Daniel Partida

Tire pressure is about 28 or 29psi, new Rockjock track bar. Tried different Castro angles but it's around 5° right now and still getting a little wandering. I've tried up to 7 and still the same wandering feeling. Upgraded the track bar bracket to beef up the frame side also and see no flex from the steering box. My best guess is some how I'm getting alittle bumpsteer where it moves the jeep and feels like wandering, but not positive. Already put over 1000 into tracking this issue down. Just want it to track straight. Switched also the upper axle bushings to new Trail Forged ones. Bigger 9/16 grade 8 bolts on the control arms to take any slack there...

Upvote 0

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
...real question I have is when I rock the jeep side to side I've noticed I see my steering wheel move maybe close to a inch of movement.
As in, if you grab the rain gutter on your roof or roll bar if your topless and rock your Jeep side to side? If so, your steering wheel should not rotate.

Upvote 0

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Tire pressure is about 28 or 29psi, new Rockjock track bar. Tried different Castro angles but it's around 5° right now and still getting a little wandering. I've tried up to 7 and still the same wandering feeling. Upgraded the track bar bracket to beef up the frame side also and see no flex from the steering box. My best guess is some how I'm getting alittle bumpsteer where it moves the jeep and feels like wandering, but not positive. Already put over 1000 into tracking this issue down. Just want it to track straight. Switched also the upper axle bushings to new Trail Forged ones. Bigger 9/16 grade 8 bolts on the control arms to take any slack there...
I'm sorry to hear you've spent so much money on what sounds like a lot of useless stuff. Also, whoever sold you on the idea that 9/16 grade 8 bolts are somehow better than 10.9 factory bolts is an idiot.

If I could guess, you have more than 3" of actual lift, maybe a lot more and that would put your front track bar and drag link in a steep angle. Up and down movement or even rocking your Jeep side to side could cause them to move enough to cause your steering wheel to rotate. The solution to that is to install a track bar relocation bracket and drag link flip to help correct their geometry back to a much flatter stock position.

That said, I do NOT think that is what is causing your wandering issue. Assuming you really are running 5-7 deg of positive caster, that should keep you tracking straight. What is your toe set at? Have you checked your ball joints with a dial indicator?

Upvote 0

Daniel Partida

Thanks for the input, yeah jeep has draglink flip kit and track bar bracket on the axle...new synergy adjustable ball joints, retorqued by a shop when they installed the new track bar. Also tried both track bar holes on the bracket and still have movement to the steering wheel. It's a real head scratcher for sure...but all ideas welcome.

Upvote 0

WJCO

Meme King
I just did the Jeep shake test that I didn't know existed until today. Steering wheel doesn't move. I'm guessing that you've got something really loose. Post some pics of your Jeep.

Upvote 0

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Thanks for the input, yeah jeep has draglink flip kit and track bar bracket on the axle...
Are you SURE the track bar and drag link are parallel?

Also, being that you have a JK, have you made sure that there is ZERO movement of the pitman arm on the sector shaft. In park, have someone turn the steering wheel to the left and right a bit while you look at this point. If the pitman arm moves on the splines of the shaft, that is your problem.

Upvote 0

Daniel Partida

Here's some pics of the front end, and according to the shop the track bar aligns on the top bolt hole of the track bar, like in the pics

Attachments

• 20230802_161944.jpg
    20230802_161944.jpg
    253.7 KB · Views: 25
  • 20230802_161931.jpg
    20230802_161931.jpg
    228.1 KB · Views: 25
  • 20230802_161911.jpg
    20230802_161911.jpg
    240.9 KB · Views: 25
  • 20230802_161901.jpg
    20230802_161901.jpg
    247.5 KB · Views: 23
  • 20230802_161837.jpg
    20230802_161837.jpg
    233.3 KB · Views: 25
Upvote 0

Daniel Partida

Ok so sector shaft does have alittle play and could hear clunking also when the jeep is off and someone is turning the wheel back and fourth, not much but does show some play...would that be new steering box?

Upvote 0

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Here's some pics of the front end, and according to the shop the track bar aligns on the top bolt hole of the track bar, like in the pics
Okay, hard to say for sure looking at the pics but it could be everything is on, assuming all the parts are from the same manufacturer.

Have you tried driving your Jeep with the steering stabilizer removed? Just to see if it makes a difference?

Upvote 0

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Ok so sector shaft does have alittle play and could hear clunking also when the jeep is off and someone is turning the wheel back and fourth, not much but does show some play...would that be new steering box?
Not necessarily. Could be something as simple as someone had been playing with the adjuster thinking that would help. So long as the physical pitman arm is NOT shifting around between the nut and shaft, you should be okay there.

Upvote 0

Daniel Partida

Havent tried removing the stabalizer yet but could try that. But what's moving and has play is the steering box shaft itself I'm sure play internal in the steering box not on the pitman arm. Although does move the entire pitman arm and shaft abit with the play it has...I'm sure theres no way to remove that play other than new box right?

Upvote 0

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Havent tried removing the stabalizer yet but could try that. But what's moving and has play is the steering box shaft itself I'm sure play internal in the steering box not on the pitman arm. Although does move the entire pitman arm and shaft abit with the play it has...I'm sure theres no way to remove that play other than new box right?
If you're certain that there is looseness within the steering gear, there is an adjuster on top of it that will allow you to tighten things up. Typically, it's something you should NOT play with being that it can cause problems like what you're experiencing now and if I could guess, IF that turns out to fix things for you, that's what happened before.

Upvote 0

Daniel Partida

Gotcha, yeah play is left to right and clunks also not by much but could definitely hear it and see movement side to side of the shaft itself... I guess I could try adjusting it by 1/8th of a turn and see if theres still that same play or if it got better...if not I'm sure ima need to end up replacing the steering box itself.

Upvote 0

WJCO

Meme King
How many miles on the Jeep? That gearbox really shouldn't have been messed with before.

Upvote 0
Top Bottom