Shocks?

Will2597

Going to get the MC true duel rate lift for my 2016 jk sport s 2 door and leaning to opt for fox 2.0 shocks..... how are they comparable to the rocksport that is offered? I have a full size front steel bumper with a wrench and eventually going to get a rear bumper with either the tire carrier combo with it or opt to get them separately. Bumper with a new smittybelt pivot hd for the rear door.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Going to get the MC true duel rate lift for my 2016 jk sport s 2 door and leaning to opt for fox 2.0 shocks..... how are they comparable to the rocksport that is offered? I have a full size front steel bumper with a wrench and eventually going to get a rear bumper with either the tire carrier combo with it or opt to get them separately. Bumper with a new smittybelt pivot hd for the rear door.
Sorry, I have no experience with their Rocksport shocks. As far as Fox goes, will you be doing a lot of hard and fast driving across the desert? If so, they are a good choice to go with being that they will resist fade much better. If not, you will be spending a lot more money on something you don't really need AND if anything, you will find that your ride is firmer. If that's something you like as a daily driver, then maybe you will want them.

Upvote 0

Will2597

Sorry, I have no experience with their Rocksport shocks. As far as Fox goes, will you be doing a lot of hard and fast driving across the desert? If so, they are a good choice to go with being that they will resist fade much better. If not, you will be spending a lot more money on something you don't really need AND if anything, you will find that your ride is firmer. If that's something you like as a daily driver, then maybe you will want them.
Okay thank you. Won't be in desert just overland and in back woods and mountains. Didn't know if it would help any at all offsetting some of the weight distribution of the bumbers and other add on is all.

Upvote 0

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Okay thank you. Won't be in desert just overland and in back woods and mountains. Didn't know if it would help any at all offsetting some of the weight distribution of the bumbers and other add on is all.
A majority of ride quality comes from your springs. Shocks just do what they sound like, help absorb bumps in the road. They will not do anything to help accommodate weight.

Upvote 0

Will2597

A majority of ride quality comes from your springs. Shocks just do what they sound like, help absorb bumps in the road. They will not do anything to help accommodate weight.
That's what I thought. Just wanted to ask. Didn't know if with the added weight and off road didn't know if it would help absorb it better than the others.

Upvote 0

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
That's what I thought. Just wanted to ask. Didn't know if with the added weight and off road didn't know if it would help absorb it better than the others.
When it comes to managing weight, coils and their spring rate is what will do all the work. If you need more assistance, I would look into airbags.

With that said, you really aren't working with that much extra weight or at least, based on what you just posted.

Upvote 0

JT@623

Hooked
I have the rocksport shocks and like them They work for me but I’m old and drive slow

Upvote 0

Will2597

I do an hour min interstate driving a day... doubt that means anything but I was going to go with the rocksport unless there are any other recommendations. They sound like good shocks from what I read this far looking into them on different places.

Upvote 0

JT@623

Hooked
I do an hour min interstate driving a day... doubt that means anything but I was going to go with the rocksport unless there are any other recommendations. They sound like good shocks from what I read this far looking into them on different places.
They do ride good out on interstate.

Upvote 0

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Honestly, if it were me, I personally would run a set of Rancho 9000's.

Upvote 0

Will2597

I was thinking about adding this to my order or do you think it is not needed? Just came across it.

Upvote 0

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
I was thinking about adding this to my order or do you think it is not needed? Just came across it.

Guess it depends on how much lift you’re running and how much bow are you seeing in your springs.

Upvote 0

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Just the 2.5 mc tdr lift. Do not have it on yet. I am buying everything as I go to put it on all at once.
If you’re not experiencing spring bow to the point where they are making contact with your rear track bar, I wouldn’t bother with them.

Upvote 0

ccjeep89

I have always had
great luck and ride out of Bilstein. I am currently running 5100 series on my YJ and also on my wife's LJ.

Upvote 0

chrisisnapping

Just the 2.5 mc tdr lift. Do not have it on yet. I am buying everything as I go to put it on all at once.
i have this lift with the rocksport shocks (as well as a set of core 4x4 control arms) on a 2dr with steel bumper/winch/skids.

It performs well off road, and on road it's fairly comfortable, but i definitely feel the road much more than your typical grocery-getter. I don't commute via driving and while the jk is my DD - my miles are mostly driving 300+ mile round trips to "local" offroad parks.

if I were to redo it, I would do it the same way - as it fits my needs of being a reliable DD and a fun offroader at a relatively affordable price.

Upvote 0

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
i have this lift with the rocksport shocks (as well as a set of core 4x4 control arms) on a 2dr with steel bumper/winch/skids.

It performs well off road, and on road it's fairly comfortable, but i definitely feel the road much more than your typical grocery-getter. I don't commute via driving and while the jk is my DD - my miles are mostly driving 300+ mile round trips to "local" offroad parks.

if I were to redo it, I would do it the same way - as it fits my needs of being a reliable DD and a fun offroader at a relatively affordable price.
Over the last 20+ years, I have installed and tested out more suspension systems and made by more companies than I can even remember. And, what I can tell you is that there is ZERO reason to settle on comfort especially when BETTER rides can be had for less than what you paid for this kit. But then, that's just me.

Upvote 0
Top Bottom