School me on radios please

RCC

I am completely ignorant when it comes to radio communication.

I have a Midland GMRS radio in my Gladiator now. Reading Eddie’s New Years run thread I see PCI and Rugged Radios are required, I can’t make the trip out west but I would like have the right equipment for future runs.

Can someone educate me on what works better?

Is there a radio that talks to both?

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass
I’m pretty sure there is a thread asking this same question with all the info. Someone better at the search bar than me can link it.

TrailHunter

Hooked
HAM talks to both (depending on the brand) but its illegal to do so. GMRS radios will not work with Race Radios. A $30 Baofeng HAM handheld can talk to race radios, GMRS and HAM... but you need a HAM license and you are only supposed to use HAM frequencies. So if you think government agents are patrolling the desert... buy a race radio.

JT@623

Hooked
I bought the PCI hand held ones they programmed the two frequencies Eddie posted plus I get all there channels as well and you basically run on there license. But I did get the license just so the radio police don’t come after me.

RCC

I am trying to see if I understand this. Take this radio for example- Link

GMRS operates between 462 and 467 MHz

BE154615-7430-4799-BC75-D47A439B0972.jpeg

Race Radios operate on VHF frequencies.

The sample radio lists this-

6D29AFC6-E503-4B6B-ABF2-0F3BAC01E509.jpeg

So would this radio communicate with both?

TrailHunter

Hooked
  • CB – Citizens Band, operates on 40 channels in the 27 Mhz frequencies, No license required. Capped at 4 watts of power.
  • MURS – Multiple Use Radio Service, Operates on 5 channels around 152 Mhz, No License required, capped at 2 watts of power
  • FRS – Family Radio Service, Operates on 15 channels around 462 Mhz at 2 watts, and 7 channels around 467 Mhz at half a watt, No License required.
  • GMRS – General Mobile Radio Services, Operates on 22 channels around 462 and 467 Mhz, capped at 5 watts, half a watt, and 50 watts depending on the channel, License Required
  • Ham Radio – Amateur Radio Service, Operates all over the place, capped at 1500 watts, License Required.
  • PLMR – Private Land Mobile Radio (Commercial Frequencies), Operates near MURS and FRS. A Commercial license is required to transmit not only on that frequency, but also in that geographical region! This is what “Race Radios” operate on.

RCC

• CB – Citizens Band, operates on 40 channels in the 27 Mhz frequencies, No license required. Capped at 4 watts of power.
  • MURS – Multiple Use Radio Service, Operates on 5 channels around 152 Mhz, No License required, capped at 2 watts of power
  • FRS – Family Radio Service, Operates on 15 channels around 462 Mhz at 2 watts, and 7 channels around 467 Mhz at half a watt, No License required.
  • GMRS – General Mobile Radio Services, Operates on 22 channels around 462 and 467 Mhz, capped at 5 watts, half a watt, and 50 watts depending on the channel, License Required
  • Ham Radio – Amateur Radio Service, Operates all over the place, capped at 1500 watts, License Required.
  • PLMR – Private Land Mobile Radio (Commercial Frequencies), Operates near MURS and FRS. A Commercial license is required to transmit not only on that frequency, but also in that geographical region! This is what “Race Radios” operate on.

??

kbp810

Caught the Bug
HAM talks to both (depending on the brand) but its illegal to do so. GMRS radios will not work with Race Radios. A $30 Baofeng HAM handheld can talk to race radios, GMRS and HAM... but you need a HAM license and you are only supposed to use HAM frequencies. So if you think government agents are patrolling the desert... buy a race radio.
Just an FYI note on this... very recently the FCC has started putting pressure on the Chinese radios (and others) to block non-type certified bands. Even the good ol' ever popular cheap Baofeng handhelds are now shipping with GMRS transmitting blocked. I'm sure there's probably a quick/easy mod to enable it again (like the common mars cap mod where you remove a shunt from the circuit board to remove the block); but the era of the cheap and easy one-stop-shop radios appears to be coming to an end.

TrailHunter

Hooked
I understand that. I’m asking if the radio in the link in my 3rd post will talk to both.
Sorry... missed the Link... I think it does... You have to look at the "Frequency Receive Range" and the "Frequency Transmit Range".... some radios will only receive... this radio looks like it does both in that Frequency range.... and GMRS is UHF

TrailHunter

Hooked
"FCC Approval
The DB-750X is Part 90 certified for commercial use. CE & FCC Part 90 certified."

GMRS requires FCC Part 95.... so I think its illegal to transmit with the DB-750X for GMRS. However its 100% legal to Receive (listen) to anything you want.

RCC

"FCC Approval
The DB-750X is Part 90 certified for commercial use. CE & FCC Part 90 certified."

GMRS requires FCC Part 95.... so I think its illegal to transmit with the DB-750X for GMRS. However its 100% legal to Receive (listen) to anything you want.

I have the GMRS license.

TrailHunter

Hooked
I have the GMRS license.
You are licensed... as I am... to use FCC Part 95 radios for GMRS only. We are Not "Allowed" to use a FCC Part 90 radios for HAM.... Nor is a licensed HAM user allowed to use a Part 90 HAM Radio with GMRS frequencies. This is just the Law according to the FCC.

sunnysideup

I'm seeing a crazy difficult maze...lol. I currently only use a CB because the club in the area I belong to only uses CB. The other club uses GMRS. I have been thinking on having both, buy the GMRS license and hopefully be able to communicate with both groups. For our family trips...we are all going GMRS... mostly for the greater range.

Top Bottom