Savage JK Build

SavageMonkey

I would like to preface the following by stating that I am a complete novice with a mechanical ability of a preschooler!!! In fact, I believe a preschooler has more mechanical abilities than I possess.... (Hi... I'm Eric and I am not mechanically inclined...) OK Step 1- CHECK!!! Admitting the problem is the first step in recovery!!!

I have been reading the threads and have to say that each one is unique and amazing in their own right. I am trying to suck up as much informations from the forums as possible, to make the best informed decisions on my JK build. I thank you all who have previously posted and share your knowledge and skill with the less adept (ME!!)

That said, what I believed would be a sprint to building a killer JK is looking to me like a marathon. So I am asking the WAL Community for assistance in my build. I have the ability to work as much over time at my job as I want and plan on killing it this winter. I figure 12-16 hours a week (which I can get and do no problem) will get me an extra $9k by April.

My question is where do I begin first? Tires, Lift Kit, Body Amour, Bumpers, Lights...... For a novice it becomes extremely overwhelming fast!!!! Do I focus on the smaller items and work up or start big and work down?

THANKS!!!!

olram30

Not That Kind of Engineer
I would buy quality parts. Me, I'd go with skids, rock rails, recovery gear first. Drive it around and enjoy it..then decide what you need next, what size of tires you desire? Get a quality lift based around your tire size.
Some other good advice is to buy once and cry once. I've seen people buy lift,tires, winches and other stuff and just replace them within a few months.
Good luck with your build.

Last edited:
^^x2

If you can find some local Jeepers who have different lifts to see what you like not only to the eye but comfort and on road and trail. This will help yo figure out what you want.

I spent $1000 on a lift just to get one and in 6 moths completely reworked it. Had someone given me the above advice SWMBO would be so upset.

Good luck and do your research.

R/
Will

JKWrang

X3

Build around your needs. If youre new to wheeling a Jeep go out and test your stock rig on some trails. See what you want to do with your rig and where you want it to go.

Lookup my thread "popping the cherry" and see my response to jeeping the first time in a personal vehicle.

Thats the first "mod" id recommend. Then like was said above.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using WAYALIFE mobile app

MR.Ty

Token East Coast Guy
I would buy quality parts. Me, I'd go with skids, rock rails, recovery gear first. Drive it around and enjoy it..then decide what you need next, what size of tires you desire? Get a quality lift based around your tire size.
Some other good advice is to buy once and cry once. I've seen people buy lift,tires, winches and other stuff and just replace them within a few months.
Good luck with your build.

X4 On this.

I made a few mistakes on my old Jeep, that could have been avioded. Look out for the next Rausch Creek run and go with what you have. Then see what you need. :yup:
Rausch also offers a offroading 101 course that you may want to look into to help you learn a bit more. :thumb:

SavageMonkey

Guys- Thanks for all the information... I will definitely take everything into account and do my research... I'm looking forward to the process and the more I follow the threads the more I'm realizing I just might be able to accomplish some of the work myself...

@M_Savage- I'm pretty sure you can't go wrong with two Savages in the group!

SavageMonkey

***CB RADIO HELP***

So one of my first mods is to put a CB Radio in my JK. I already purchased my Firestik II antenna, cables and materials for fabbing a mount for attaching it to the break light (until I get my tire carrier and need a different option). But I don't want a bulky radio taking up much needed space and also giving some criminal cause to bust my window to pilfer it.

I want my rig looking clean with nothing to see at a glance from a passerby looking through my window. I've seen Eddies write up on his Tuffy overhead CB storage unit which looks good but before I pull the trigger on that; are there any specifics I should look for in a radio other than size consider?

I saw a review on the following unit on YouTube:

Cobra 75 WX- it looks like a decent unit. I don't even mind buying an extra speaker to mount by the A Pillar for better sound and I like how it's just one mic with no box.

There is also an Australian made unit:

GME TX 3100- I like this unit because of the compact nature of it and the accessories package that can be purchased to mount to the windshield via suction cup mount and remove when not in use.

There is also a Uniden model that is a clone to the TX 3100 and I would suspect is manufactured by GME.

My kids love the openness of the JK with the top off and that is one of my considerations for looking at these three units along with security considerations. I enjoy it too and if I can purchase a CB that I can easily store when not in use then I am leaning towards that.

Any input on these units I mentioned or on any setups anyone is currently using with any pros/cons... Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Wethy

From what ive seen of installs for this looks like it would fit your needs ive seen pictures of the power unit mounted under the glove box and then a hole drilled in the plastic for the mic input. Probly the best way to do it if you want to be able to "hide" your unit then you can remove the mic when not needed. I recently installed a Cb in my jeep I did so by mounting mine above the mirror like most do. That being said it was pretty easy to hide all the wires even for me. The prying eyes arent too big of a deal where I live but just some food fpr thought. Also of you do g9 with a conventional style CB you could always wire it to a cigarette lighter for ease of removal

Sent from my SGH-I337M using WAYALIFE mobile app

Attachments

• 1412432649146.jpg
    1412432649146.jpg
    52.4 KB · Views: 113

07JKSahara

Just a note, I've seen some really slick installs of an external speaker hidden in the roll bar behind the drivers left ear. It's cool for the driver, but if everyone wants to hear the chatter might be tough. I'll post some pics if you want to go that direction. Super clean install because you literally can't tell anything is there.

If you want any ideas or Input on the third brake light that's where mine is mounted. Great place, except... Be careful of trees overhead as the antenna could possible rip out the magnesium of the tire carrier.

SavageMonkey

Just a note, I've seen some really slick installs of an external speaker hidden in the roll bar behind the drivers left ear. It's cool for the driver, but if everyone wants to hear the chatter might be tough. I'll post some pics if you want to go that direction. Super clean install because you literally can't tell anything is there.

If you want any ideas or Input on the third brake light that's where mine is mounted. Great place, except... Be careful of trees overhead as the antenna could possible rip out the magnesium of the tire carrier.

The external speakers I saw at the Pilot Truck Stop Gas Station were 7 watts each and super slim and only $12. I pulled off the velcro liner on the roll bar yesterday to get a better look at the foam. I think I might actually be able to hallow out the interior so it sits in a small pocket with no rattle while being able to uphold the integrity of the stryo. I think even mounting a second external speaker on the B Pillar passenger side to enhance the sound might solve that solution.
If I went this route I would look at the hand held all in one units to make it look totally stock.

As far as the 3rd break light mount; I'm planning on running mine on the lower of the two screw placements. I have a piece of aluminum angle that I'm going to cut and fit as a mount. I saw what appeared to be an angle iron bracket being marketed online and figured I could do that with little assistance. I also picked up a spring for the base of the antenna to counter any major overhead impediments.

My only issue is wiring whatever unit I get and I've solved that by asking my brother to assist me.

If you have links to those pics or could post them I would appreciate it. Definitely interested to see what's out there and how they look.

SavageMonkey

From what ive seen of installs for this looks like it would fit your needs ive seen pictures of the power unit mounted under the glove box and then a hole drilled in the plastic for the mic input. Probly the best way to do it if you want to be able to "hide" your unit then you can remove the mic when not needed. I recently installed a Cb in my jeep I did so by mounting mine above the mirror like most do. That being said it was pretty easy to hide all the wires even for me. The prying eyes arent too big of a deal where I live but just some food fpr thought. Also of you do g9 with a conventional style CB you could always wire it to a cigarette lighter for ease of removal

Sent from my SGH-I337M using WAYALIFE mobile app

I have seen this setup in a lot of rigs. I do like the look but am not 100% sold. Is there any major differences it the unit you are running compared the the basic models on the market? Do I need anything more than 40 channels and a ton of switches and knobs I'll need a PHD to operate?

SavageMonkey

If you want small uniden makes a very affordable compact unit.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00004VXNF?pc_redir=1411840553&robot_redir=1

Or go with the cobra 75 you're talking about. A lot of people run that as well.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B0000...412434930&sr=8-2-spell&pi=AC_SX110_SY165_QL70

I have not run either so I can't tell you which is better.

Thanks! I'll be doing a ton more research over the weekend. Hope to have one pick out by Sunday night...

I have a Uniden Bearcat 980. I molded mine into the dash (its a lot of work to fit it in there, but from a glance no one notices its a CB if the mic is removed) Its been a great CB. I've used it a bunch of times on the road and trail. I have a second one that Im installing in the wifes new Jeep. I'm molding her's into the glove box though. We bought her a lock box for under the drivers seat to replace the glove box.
The 980 has a lot of options including a built in SWR meter. I brought an external SWR meter just to check and see how good it was working, mostly because I didn't trust the internal one... needless to say that was a waste of $30 bucks. I got the same exact reading from both... which was damn near perfect...

They can be had on Amazon for $128. http://www.amazon.com/Uniden-BEARCAT-Sideband-WeatherBand-980SSB/dp/B007B5ZAES

Oh and whatever you do... do not key the mic without the Antenna and associated wiring complete. ;)

SavageMonkey

DK-

I saw your setup last night after our discussion and like the way it looks. I have an appointment this week at the car audio shop for a new head unit with blue tooth and navigation and am going to see if working a CB into the dash is something they can do. Radio Shack (or "The Shack" as they are now known for the "Cool Factor") by my house is having a Fire Sale on CB radios and they have several options as well. I'll have to get the model numbers and do a bit of research on what's better if I go that route. Did you have to install external speakers or was the CB speaker enough?

DK-

I saw your setup last night after our discussion and like the way it looks. I have an appointment this week at the car audio shop for a new head unit with blue tooth and navigation and am going to see if working a CB into the dash is something they can do. Radio Shack (or "The Shack" as they are now known for the "Cool Factor") by my house is having a Fire Sale on CB radios and they have several options as well. I'll have to get the model numbers and do a bit of research on what's better if I go that route. Did you have to install external speakers or was the CB speaker enough?

Its a lot of custom work to install it into a dash. Make sure that shop can do actual custom work... ask for pictures of other work they have done molding factory parts. There are very few shops that can do it right, but some can. As an example I only know 2 in the Boston area that can be trusted to do that kind of work. Get a quote (firm price) not an estimate, and be prepared for them to give you a quote that will probably be over a grand.
However if you are having a double din Nav unit installed the CB won't fit with the radio without some serious molding and dash rebuilding. I'm going to mold the CB into the Willy's glove box instead, as the wife wants to keep the factory HU.

You do need an external speaker, however depending on the HU you buy, you might be able to pipe the CB audio right into the HU and hear it that way. If you purchase a smaller style CB you can mold that into the center console glovebox. You just need a smaller CB.

SavageMonkey

Sounds like my initial idea of the Cobra 75 with the external speakers molded into the driver/passenger B-pillars is looking better and better. The unit received (4 1/2 ☆'s) on Amazon and the install looks to be something I can handle on my own. I'm definitely not looking to drop hundreds on a custom fit.

SavageMonkey

The first upgrade I made was my CB radio. I ended up going with the Uniden Pro 510xl. I was able to pick it up a local "The Shack" formerly known as "Radio Shack" for $30 because they are phasing them out for lack of sales. I also purchased a Firestick II Tunable Antenna. I ended up mounting the CB above the mirror after seeing another thread and it worked out pretty good. If anyone wants to see it let me know and I'll post some pics tomorrow.

I also just ordered a bunch of parts that will keep me satisfied till mid 2015.

- Set of five 37" Nitto Trail Grapplers
- Pro Comp Series 97 Wheels 17"
- LoD shorty signature series rear bumper generation 4 tire carrier
- LoD shorty signature series stinger front bumper
- LoD signature series bolt on rock sliders (Which will be welded on)
- Bilstein Shocks front/rear
- Bushwacker TPO Flat Fenders

I had an internal battle in regards to the tires. I literally went back and forth 3 times between the 35's and 37's I called three places before I could locate 37's as they apparently are on a 90 day back order. But in the end I believe I chose the right size. Especially after reading the tire thread regarding 35's vs 37's.

The last thing I want is "Tire Envy!!!"

Last edited:
Top Bottom