Safe to run no steering stabilizer at all?

Whiskeyjack

From most of my research it seems the consensus is that you don't *need* a stabilizer at all if your alignment is dialed in, and some say that the stock one is fine for most cases.

However, I replaced the stock one a while back with a shitty dual stabilizer thinking it would fix my problem, but it only masked them.

Now I've got everything working right, but the dual stabilizer is basically trashed so I took it off. I drove it around the block and everything felt fine, aside from a bit more feedback in the steering wheel.

I was doing to pick up the single teraflex unit that replaces the stock one, only I don't have the tie rod bracket anymore.

So I guess...can I just run without a stabilizer? Is it safe at highway speeds? Can I get a new tie rod bracket?

Whiskeyjack

Thanks guys. I have a short highway trip coming up in a couple days and I wanted to be sure that if I hit a bump or a pothole I wouldn't flip the Jeep or something.

fiend

Caught the Bug
If you “need” a stabilizer it will become evident pretty quickly as you drive around.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE

jdofmemi

I've been 2 years without one on my Jeep.

When I had my Toyota I went over 150,000 miles without one, and no sway bar either.

If your going to hit a pothole and flip your Jeep, a steering stabilizer would not stop it from happening.

benatc1

Hooked
I ran no stabalizer on my 12 and 16 for probably 2 years and never had an issue, but the front end was dialed. on my JL, well now that's a different story

Sent from my HD1905 using WAYALIFE mobile app

Last edited:

QuicksilverJK

Caught the Bug
If you have previous experience with death wobble you are probably just a bit gun shy. This is completely understandable, I know I was the first few (hundred [emoji6]) trips as I breached the 70mph threshold. But like everyone is saying with it dialed in I never again needed one, and regularly well exceed those speeds. I now run PSC assist on mine but did have nothing at all for quite a while.

Whiskeyjack

If you have previous experience with death wobble you are probably just a bit gun shy. This is completely understandable, I know I was the first few (hundred [emoji6]) trips as I breached the 70mph threshold. But like everyone is saying with it dialed in I never again needed one, and regularly well exceed those speeds. I now run PSC assist on mine but did have nothing at all for quite a while.

I've had some DW issues, a wheel falling off issue, other weird steering issues. Now I'm just paranoid.

Top Bottom