Rust

cinnur

Hello All,

Just spotted paint bubbles on my both my door edges on the bottom edge and the bottom edges of the doors just starting up the sides. I have over 32000 plus miles, but the Wrangler is not even two years old yet. So when I see something like this, rust is what comes to mind behind those bubbles! Searching, this does not appear uncommon for the doors.
Is there any other locations I should check for such problems developing?
A bit dark right now, but looking things over I can see a bit of surface rust underneath, but will have to review during the day.
Is anyone else seeing this so soon, and what suggestions on how best to deal with preventing this from getting worse?

Have Fun!

Ddays

Hooked
Hello All,

Just spotted paint bubbles on my both my door edges on the bottom edge and the bottom edges of the doors just starting up the sides. I have over 32000 plus miles, but the Wrangler is not even two years old yet. So when I see something like this, rust is what comes to mind behind those bubbles! Searching, this does not appear uncommon for the doors.
Is there any other locations I should check for such problems developing?
A bit dark right now, but looking things over I can see a bit of surface rust underneath, but will have to review during the day.
Is anyone else seeing this so soon, and what suggestions on how best to deal with preventing this from getting worse?

Have Fun!

There's a silent recall on this - it's fairly common. I believe it's dissimilar metals that causes it. My JL has it on all 4 doors. Take it to the dealers collision center to have them look at it. The mechanic shop can't do anything with that so they'll just refer you there.

Devils advocate, when you take your doors off, you don't set them on the ground right? I know thats a dumb question but I've seen people just scoot them across concrete, makes me cringe.

cinnur

There's a silent recall on this - it's fairly common. I believe it's dissimilar metals that causes it. My JL has it on all 4 doors. Take it to the dealers collision center to have them look at it. The mechanic shop can't do anything with that so they'll just refer you there.
Thanks, I was thinking to check with the dealer on this item.

cinnur

Contacted the dealer today and though it is not an offical recall, they are aware of the problem and when someone runs into it they will fix it when asked.

Ddays

Hooked
Contacted the dealer today and though it is not an offical recall, they are aware of the problem and when someone runs into it they will fix it when asked.
yup, thats what I was told as well. I'm not taking mine in until the wheeling trips are over this Fall. Mine's white so it really doesn't show up much unless you're close. Glad you're getting taken care of

cinnur

Went to the dealer yesterday for review of the door problem. The dealer stated that the 2018 JL exhibited this now known problem and the 2019 JL and forward were replaced with aluminum doors to supposedly cure this problem, my Wrangler is the second 2019 that this particular dealer has seen this problem appear. Pictures were taken to be submitted towards warranty approval of repair. I was also informed that the doors are no longer repaired, but replaced, once warranty approved.

Ddays

Hooked
Went to the dealer yesterday for review of the door problem. The dealer stated that the 2018 JL exhibited this now known problem and the 2019 JL and forward were replaced with aluminum doors to supposedly cure this problem, my Wrangler is the second 2019 that this particular dealer has seen this problem appear. Pictures were taken to be submitted towards warranty approval of repair. I was also informed that the doors are no longer repaired, but replaced, once warranty approved.
Be awesome if half doors were an option for replacement.

Jkratt

The dealer probably will trash the old doors. Ask if you can have them and make half doors out of them.

cinnur

The dealer probably will trash the old doors. Ask if you can have them and make half doors out of them.
That had not crossed my mind, but maybe I will inquire.
That would mean I still need to get the doors fixed on my own, and the problem might resurface.
Might you suggest how I properly turn them into half doors if they were to give me them to me, which I doubt they would?

Jkratt

Dealers rarely send stuff back to the manufacture. It really is just to costly. Individual dealers simply throw the parts in the trash away once the manufacture agrees it’s a defect for replacement. I really have now idea how to make them into half doors. I can remember somebody on the site did it with pictures.

cinnur

Since I did not wish to give up my JL during the winter months, I finally am moving forward with getting this problem fixed. It turns out, though I was told differently, that the doors are not replaced, but repaired. That does not really surprise me, it would seem to me not to make financial sense to replace. What did catch my attention is that this problem is not just on the doors, but also the hood, and per the body shop, on some rare occasions also the tailgate. The body shop did not find any problems on the tailgate, but the hood also has the paint bubble problem.
Anyone reading this might wish to check their JL at these locations for this problem.

cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door
Just reviving this thread. Just noticed today that on the bottom of my doors are starting to bubble. Gonna reach out to my local dealer and see what they wanna do about it. They don’t have a body shop attached but my dealer does. Gonna see if my dealer can do the work then just bill them maybe?

Ddays

Hooked
Just reviving this thread. Just noticed today that on the bottom of my doors are starting to bubble. Gonna reach out to my local dealer and see what they wanna do about it. They don’t have a body shop attached but my dealer does. Gonna see if my dealer can do the work then just bill them maybe?

I never did take mine in way back but I do have an appt to have all 4 doors, hood, and my tailgate looked at by my dealership. Said they're booked out til August on these & can only do 3 or 4 a month because how much work it is.

Still boggles my mind that some grownup that understands metallurgy didn't raise their hand & wonder why they did metal to metal on the doors and hinges before painting. SMH...

cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door
I never did take mine in way back but I do have an appt to have all 4 doors, hood, and my tailgate looked at by my dealership. Said they're booked out til August on these & can only do 3 or 4 a month because how much work it is.

Still boggles my mind that some grownup that understands metallurgy didn't raise their hand & wonder why they did metal to metal on the doors and hinges before painting. SMH...
Did they say what they do? I assume just sand it down and respray and blend the paint

cinnur

Did they say what they do? I assume just sand it down and respray and blend the paint
When I had it done, they told me they disassembled all the parts, cleaned them up, and repainted everything, including the parts not visible.
They only thing they could not get correct when completed was the door alignment. Since the repair of the doors, particular the passenger side door has more wind sound generated when driving. I tried to readjust myself, and took it back to them, and still no luck. I still plan to take it somewhere else because it does get annoying.

Is this primarily a rust-belt state issue or something that we should all be alarmed about?

Ddays

Hooked
Did they say what they do? I assume just sand it down and respray and blend the paint depe the corrosion is too bad then they replace the doors.

it all depends how bad the corrosion is. If it’s minor they repair. If there’s too much corrosion they replace the doors.
Is this primarily a rust-belt state issue or something that we should all be alarmed about?

This is an anywhere issue. The corrosion isn't caused by salt, it's a galvanic corrosion issue. If the doors and hinges had been painted before assembly then, generally speaking, this doesn't happen.

Top Bottom