Rust Prevention

jwolfejt

Caught the Bug
So I have been using this stuff (https://www.amazon.com/Blaster-128-...refix=pb+blaster+surface+shield,aps,73&sr=8-5) PB Blaster Surface Shield for the past year (and fluidfilm prior) and it seems to work well... I was told that every year that I should wash it off and re-apply. Is there anything better out there ? Friend of mine recommended cosmoline (the stuff that they used to coat old military jeeps and weapons with.. I had a old WASR AK back in the day that had this stuff on it and it was a pain to get it off but seemed to keep the rifle pristine). Anyone have any advice/suggestions ?

So I have been using this stuff (https://www.amazon.com/Blaster-128-SS-Surface-Shield-1-Gal/dp/B09HGL5R58/ref=sr_1_5?crid=2VNOTJXY8J1SZ&keywords=pb+blaster+surface+shield&qid=1704667218&sprefix=pb+blaster+surface+shield,aps,73&sr=8-5) PB Blaster Surface Shield for the past year (and fluidfilm prior) and it seems to work well... I was told that every year that I should wash it off and re-apply. Is there anything better out there ? Friend of mine recommended cosmoline (the stuff that they used to coat old military jeeps and weapons with.. I had a old WASR AK back in the day that had this stuff on it and it was a pain to get it off but seemed to keep the rifle pristine). Anyone have any advice/suggestions ?
Lanolin (sheep-based) products are known to work well (Lanotec is a popular brand) The main drawback is that it smells like a sheep.

NPC 6060⁸42

Fluid film is lanolin based. It comes in two flavors clear and black with the black being specifically for undercarriages. I started using it last year seems ok. Ive not tried the PB blaster but it looks similar. How do you like it? Reviews on Amazon say its better than fluid film. Might have to try it next year. I just bought a bunch of spray cans but it looks like the better idea is to get a wool wax sprayer and attachments to get inside frame rails and other hard to reach areas. Id imagine a lift would be handy too.

jwolfejt

Caught the Bug
Fluid film is lanolin based. It comes in two flavors clear and black with the black being specifically for undercarriages. I started using it last year seems ok. Ive not tried the PB blaster but it looks similar. How do you like it? Reviews on Amazon say its better than fluid film. Might have to try it next year. I just bought a bunch of spray cans but it looks like the better idea is to get a wool wax sprayer and attachments to get inside frame rails and other hard to reach areas. Id imagine a lift would be handy too.
Honestly PB Blaster Surface shield seems about the same as fluid film to me. Maybe it lasts a little longer 🤷‍♂️ the hardest part about it is applying it - its absolutely terrible to apply with the aersol cans - the heads keep getting gunked up and clog so i was able to just get the frame rails on the new gladiator I got - but that was my primary concern - i'll wash it and re-apply when we get a decent day. I highly recommend the 1gallon bucket and the wand with a air compressor works way way better - there are also other attachments you can get to get in-between body panels/doors etc.

jwolfejt

Caught the Bug
Lanolin (sheep-based) products are known to work well (Lanotec is a popular brand) The main drawback is that it smells like a sheep.
Yeah i think its the same stuff as fluid film/pb blaster surface shield... they all have that same smell to them.

NPC 6060⁸42

My grandfather used to wash his tractors with kerosene then put lanolin all over to prevent rust or at least slow its progression I guess what’s old is new again. Though I won’t be washing my Gladiator with kerosene.

Top Bottom