Running Carpetless in a JKU

Wethy

So that it's clear, I have owned and still own Jeeps without carpeting. I had bedlined my old CJ7 and have bedlined the CJ5 that I have now. I will most likely bedline my Jeepster Commando as well but when it comes to the JK which has really good carpeting designed with heat shielding, I prefer to keep it installed. On Moby, a Jeep that's over 10 years old now, has been caught in downpours and has had it's floor pans completely flooded crossing rivers, I still have his factory carpeting installed. All you have to do is pull the drain plugs, prop up the carpeting a bit and leave your doors and/or top off to let it air out and dry. Hell, it would take a lot less time and effort to remove the carpeting and reinstall it than it would be to prep the tub to have it bedlined.

There is a place for bedlining but only if it's the "better" option. On a JK, it is not or at least, not to me.
I was always on the fence about it but i cant see myself putting in the effort for that. If anything i would cut holes in the carpet where the drain plugs are so i eouldnt have to lift it. And just use floor mats over it.

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using WAYALIFE mobile app

black pearl

Hooked
Out of curiosity, are the ones feeling the heat difference running automatics, without carpet? Mine is a manual, and I didn't notice a heat difference. I also don't run doors during the summer, maybe that's why. I'm just wondering if that's the contributor, to the heat difference.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

Mcollins443

I have a 2012 manual and I've been running carpetless for a few months now. It gets a little warm to the touch but not bad enough to notice even with the top and doors on. It is a little louder but it doesn't bother me. My top leaks and I got tired of my carpet always being wet. I eventually want to bedline the tub.

KYRubi

I just used plastic wiring cover , it's looking clean. View attachment 268676 View attachment 268677 View attachment 268678

Sent from my Pixel XL using WAYALIFE mobile app

This is what I did too. I think it looks a lot better than just the wires and I haven't had any problems with anything getting caught on them. I am going to be talking to a guy this evening about some ideas to actually hide them though.

608C3ED4-E8F0-4FE5-B528-6D440086F7A2_zpsawdomf2b.jpg

CBE09B5F-4FD5-4DCB-89DC-9537C89D9673_zpsyugh8k2r.jpg

3C106831-980B-43E5-BB3E-576A0BB62B92_zpsrqqybl6z.jpg

8440B884-FE20-4300-99A6-33AB45D02448_zpskgeupxsd.jpg

AllAmericanInfidel

Caught the Bug
I've been looking at Bedrug's Bedtred linning. It replaces the carpet with a rubbery surface. Anyone using this?

I've run the bed tred on my last rig, and again on my current rig. I would highly recommend it over running carpetless or spray in bed liner, both of which I also did for over a year. There is a noticeable difference in the floor temps, especially on long trips. In addition, it just looks cleaner than running carpetless. When I ran with no carpet, I used the factory slush mats. They slid around a bunch and ended up scratching the floor up a bunch too. The floor can get very slippery when wet, and that mixed with the mats moving around was not fun.
With the Bedtred, it goes in like carpet, provides sound deadening and insulation, and gives my rig a more finished look. I even drilled holes to run factory slush mats using the clips from the factory carpet, so they are nice and secure also.

IMG_1077.jpg
IMG_1078.jpg

Last edited:

tgoss

I've run the bed tred on my last rig, and again on my current rig. I would highly recommend it over running carpetless or spray in bed liner, both of which I also did for over a year. There is a noticeable difference in the floor temps, especially on long trips. In addition, it just looks cleaner than running carpetless. When I ran with no carpet, I used the factory slush mats. They slid around a bunch and ended up scratching the floor up a bunch too. The floor can get very slippery when wet, and that mixed with the mats moving around was not fun.
With the Bedtred, it goes in like carpet, provides sound deadening and insulation, and gives my rig a more finished look. I even drilled holes to run factory slush mats using the clips from the factory carpet, so they are nice and secure also. Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

Thank you for the feedback... I think I'm going to do this very soon.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
With the Bedtred, it goes in like carpet, provides sound deadening and insulation, and gives my rig a more finished look. I even drilled holes to run factory slush mats using the clips from the factory carpet, so they are nice and secure also.

Now this is something that interests me. Thank you for posting up.

WJCO

Meme King

View attachment 268933
View attachment 268934

We're still debating doing herculiner on our JK. What is the benefit to the bed rug once it gets wet? Curious.

tgoss

We're still debating doing herculiner on our JK. What is the benefit to the bed rug once it gets wet? Curious.

For me the big benefit of the bed tred (there is a difference between the bedrug) is that you can remove it being that it's not a permanent application like bedlining, it does actually help insulate so it helps with heat and sound and my biggest thing is that it covers the floor and wiring making it appear as factory as possible.

VeruGE*144

Caught the Bug

I have bedrug for about 2 years now. It's made out of synthetic material so oppose to factory carpet it won't mold, stain and most importantly won't stink. It very easy to just pop it out and pressure wash it, vacuum or however you want to clean it. I also poked some holes in it and reused the clips for factory floor mats ( no necessary). Also as mentioned cuts down on heat and noise which I like a lot. Once I went through the mud/water pit that was deeper than expected and I had water up to my ankles in the cab, after I cleaned them they look brand new again. I also have a leak on my passenger side every time it rains and get like an 1" of water on the floor, I just take the carpet out and shake it out, it dries up very quickly.
Bedrug comes in two sections, front and rear in the cab is one section and right around back and underneath rear seats the second section starts that covers the cargo area ( I only run the front section for now). Also bedrug claims you can spill battery acid on it and after a wash it wont leave a mark.
You also might want to look into Bedtread if you are considering bedliner as it will look almost identical, much easier installation than bedliner and can be removed if desired (literally just grab and pull out)
I personally like to have some kind of carpet on the floor, just looks much cleaner to me.

Edit: here's a video from them
https://youtu.be/sDIbS2Av_b0

Last edited:

quertyman

One thing that I've noticed is that the jeep world seems to be completely unaware of is spray in insulations. People in the car audio world have been using this stuff along with the sound deadening sheets that you see (dynamat, damplifier etc) to knock down rattles road noise and panel flex. Check out the product called spectrum by secondskinaudio. Ive been looking to order a bunch of this stuff and then rolling bedliner over it for the best of both worlds. Better sound insulation than bedrug or dynamat with less weight and you can still wash the floor out without removing anything.

AllAmericanInfidel

Caught the Bug

Both the spray in bed liners I have done and the Bedtred do not get slick when wet. With the Bedtred specifically, it is less abrasive to the touch. I also had an issue with the spray in liner fading, both noticeable in about a year (Herculiner being one of them). As much as I run with the doors off here in the sun, there is no noticeable fading on the Bedtred. I ran it in Crystal as well, and had zero issues with wear or fading. The big advantage to me is that it's easy to clean. There were times with the spray in liner that I just couldn't get mud and dirt off it, regardless of scrubbing. The texture of the Bedtred has not trapped any dirt, and is really easy to wipe clean. Then, the obvious is, I can just pull it out if I wanted to and run factory carpet again without any effort. I liked it so much that it was one of the first purchases I made for this rig.

KYRubi

I've run carpet, no carpet, Bedtred, and Line-X Premium. From reading this thread, I think my opinion goes against some of the others, but I would like to give it. Take it or leave it as your situation has to be different than mine since you are not me.

Carpet

Pros:
Nice looking
Hides wiring
Good sound insulation
Good temperature insulation
Comes with Jeep so cost effective

Cons
Difficult to get mud and water out
Stinks when wet for a while
Mildew issues from water
Difficult to get to drain plugs

No Carpet

Pros:
Easy to clean
Easy to get to drain plugs
Doesn't hold water
Doesn't stink
Free to remove

Cons:
Poor sound insulation
Poor heat insulation
Doesn't hide wiring
Scratches fairly easily and can lead to rust
Floor mats slide around

Bedtred

Pros:
Looks good
Hides wiring
Good sound insulation
Good heat insulation
Waterproof

Cons:
Traps water on top and underneath
Difficult to get to drain plugs
Water underneath can stink
May have to remove to clean thoroughly and then reinstall
Somewhat expensive

Line-X Premium

Pros:
Looks good
Good sound insulation
Good heat insulation
Waterproof
Easy to get to drain plugs
Doesn't scratch
Doesn't fade
Easy to clean

Cons:
Doesn't hide wiring
Permanent
Expensive
If floor mats are used they slide around

My opinion:

Since I live in KY where we have lots of weather that provides us everything from hot and dry, to hot and wet, to cold and wet, to cold and dry, I prefer the Line-X Premium. The reasons are that I don't have to deal with getting water underneath it like carpet or Bedtred and it smelling awful, or having to remove it because of water sitting on top of it. Another reason is when wheeling here, you get mud inside. The only other option that I've tried that is as easy to clean up the mud is running nothing. The carpet was a mess, and I had to remove the Bedtred, pressure wash it, let it dry, and then reinstall it. As long as I have the drain plugs in and my Mopar slush mats, the sound and heat with the Line-X are very similar to the carpet or Bedtred options. The mats do slide around a little, but it isn't very bad since the Line-X has a texture making it an acceptable compromise for me. The Line-X doesn't hide the wiring, but I put it into some split loom, so it doesn't look bad. It's another acceptable compromise for me.

Last edited:

buckweil

LOL!! You'll forgive me but the TJ with a 4.0L is noisier than shit. The OP has a JK and trust me, there is a sound difference as well as a stupid heat difference without the carpeting in. Not exactly the same thing but I personally still wouldn't run a TJ without the carpeting and didn't back when I owned one. But, that's just me.
Maybe it's just the fact I'm used to the noise lol. I know he asked about a jk I just like to be part of the cool kids 😂

ramrod

Spray in liner

I am thinking about ripping out all my carpet and having Line X spray the floor of my jeep. Also thinking about having them spray the hard top.

Has anyone done this before? Looking for pros and cons.

07 JKU Rubi

Top Bottom