Rooftop tents

rubiDave

I considered a roof top tent for about 2 seconds. Too many cons for me: weight, garage parking, expense, plus I hate sleeping in a tent. I carry a small ground tent in case of bad weather, but much prefer sleeping inder the stars.
20171021_182031.jpeg

fiend

Caught the Bug
My set up. These are from my Rubicon trip this summer. Yes, there were bears at Rubicon Springs. So close I could hear them breathing as they walked around a few feet from my tent. [emoji50]

IMG_4585.jpg IMG_4598.jpg

fiend

Caught the Bug
[emoji23] Classic. Guy I was with was packing a gatt and all set to put a cap in some bear’s ass. Thankfully cooler heads prevailed.

trailraider

Huh!!??

Me if I ever camp at Rubicon Springs:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=lAk5VOmp-H8

HA HA , I have a buddy who moved over here from Africa, I asked him why he doesn't camp here but camped over there. he said "no fucking way with all the cougars and bears" I was like..... "really you have lions and all the really bad animals.". he told me they are all behind fences in refuges(SP) and parks. I just got a chuckle out of it, as I never really thought of bears as dangerous when I camp. Not that they arn't, just used to them I guess.

GTJeeper

I had a rtt on top of the jeep for a summer. I like the tent but I hated it on the jeep. As other mentioned it’s heavy, raises the cog, and quite frankly I hated how the jeep handled with the tent on top.
I went to Lowe’s and got a small utility trailer, tore it apart and rebuilt it myself. Taught myself how to weld and came out with a good product. I put my rtt on top of it and having a two door this allows me to have extra cargo space for longer trips. I like it because I can set up camp for a couple days and take the jeep out on trails.

IMG_0581.jpg
IMG_5484.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

19YJ94

Caught the Bug
I had a rtt on top of the jeep for a summer. I like the tent but I hated it on the jeep. As other mentioned it’s heavy, raises the cog, and quite frankly I hated how the jeep handled with the tent on top.
I went to Lowe’s and got a small utility trailer, tore it apart and rebuilt it myself. Taught myself how to weld and came out with a good product. I put my rtt on top of it and having a two door this allows me to have extra cargo space for longer trips. I like it because I can set up camp for a couple days and take the jeep out on trails.

View attachment 309003
View attachment 309004

I like and thought about something lile that but it will just make my Jeep slower! 😐

So maybe a tow rig and mount the RTT over the bed. Might look into something like that.

Kirkwood1

View attachment 309003
View attachment 309004

This is a perfect solution! How does it tow? And how is getting in and out of the tent?

Overland_stormtrooper

Caught the Bug
Had a guy by me in echo park with a conqueror 310 that thing was sweet but man the price .. I did like the tent on it while it was a nylon it was just about as heavy as the canvas I got on my trailer .. the mesh was more like a one way privacy screen to ... have considered a rtt for my trailer but a platform with a air mattress works for me

Sent from my SM-G892A using WAYALIFE mobile app

GTJeeper

This is a perfect solution! How does it tow? And how is getting in and out of the tent?

Thanks! It’s around 650-700 lbs full of gear so it’s pretty light. It tows well and it’s got around 1000 miles on it or so since it’s been done, I average around 13 mpg with it which I’m happy with. It’s as capable as the Jeep is off-road and the tent is the perfect height to get in and out of. I’ve been happy with it so far, may take it down to Moab this spring...

kilomike

Love my Tepui. I agree that a trailer is the way to go. I wouldn't want this mounted to the top of my Jeep @ 120 lbs.

Attachments

• 20180522_075923.jpg
    20180522_075923.jpg
    176.5 KB · Views: 147

jjlong

My Freespirit Recreation tent is great. Just did the Rubicon Trail with it! It's normally on my Offroad trailer. FB_IMG_1535579130160.jpg FB_IMG_1535578323993.jpg

dustinfromohio

View attachment 309003
View attachment 309004

Any chance you have a build thread on this trailer?

Top Bottom