Roof Rack + Snorkel = Overland?

Is Mel constructing an Overland stroller :thinking:

734011_569995856354383_575173460_n.jpg

:cheesy: Honestly, that's about what it looks like - too funny!!

Overland!!!

Overland and Overlanding! are big hype over this side of the pond and I am convinced "Overland" is a British invention, I believe we had to come up with a phrase that carried a little mystique about what you actually do. You see telling someone your going camping for the weekend to Devon in your Landrover really isn't that impressive so to satisfy the English snob factor we had to come up with a terminology that implies your a little grander than you really are ( are you with me so far, sounds familiar eh what old sport) due to a serious absence of wilderness in the UK we like to play tart up your offroader and make it like a camper van. (check this site out www.neneoverland.co.uk).

Lets talk Roof Tent, this is the result of another British invention, the tent in a suitcase, opinion was that there was no market for it but when the inventor realised his wife didn't like camping too near to nature, you know all those nasty crawly things that you find in Devon, he quickly adapted it to fit the roof of a vehicle. Then he realised wifey couldn't vault up to the roof tent so he put in a ladder and supports to hold up the lid/bottom when the tent is open! Now, I'm not the sharpest knife in the drawer but it seems a little odd to put fixed supports and a ladder under something that is attached to something else that has suspension, surely when weight is applied to the part with suspension then the part with fixed supports will do something uncomfortable? It was you guys, I believe, that coined the phrase "When this trucks a rocking, don't come knocking" perhaps it could be adapted for the roof tent?
Yet another thought occurs to me, in the middle of the night when you get the call of nature what do you do? that ladder is a serious risk for me, I'm always half asleep!
What happens if someone steals your ladder?
What happens if a drunk driver takes out your supports? I really don't think they have thought this through at all!

Anyway rant over and I'm sure that "overlanding" is a great thing to do, what ever it is and just for the record my wife and I "offroad" or we take a "road trip" which always includes some off roading and wild camping and our extensive range of equipment can be seen in our album "Wayalife Scotland" and i make no apology for stealing your name because when we bought our Jeep the Wayalife came with it for free.
regards, Robert and Teresa
PS. we love the website, the movies, the techy stuff, the articles, just great keep it coming.:standing wave:

Overland and Overlanding! are big hype over this side of the pond and I am convinced "Overland" is a British invention, I believe we had to come up with a phrase that carried a little mystique about what you actually do. You see telling someone your going camping for the weekend to Devon in your Landrover really isn't that impressive so to satisfy the English snob factor we had to come up with a terminology that implies your a little grander than you really are ( are you with me so far, sounds familiar eh what old sport) due to a serious absence of wilderness in the UK we like to play tart up your offroader and make it like a camper van. (check this site out www.neneoverland.co.uk).

Lets talk Roof Tent, this is the result of another British invention, the tent in a suitcase, opinion was that there was no market for it but when the inventor realised his wife didn't like camping too near to nature, you know all those nasty crawly things that you find in Devon, he quickly adapted it to fit the roof of a vehicle. Then he realised wifey couldn't vault up to the roof tent so he put in a ladder and supports to hold up the lid/bottom when the tent is open! Now, I'm not the sharpest knife in the drawer but it seems a little odd to put fixed supports and a ladder under something that is attached to something else that has suspension, surely when weight is applied to the part with suspension then the part with fixed supports will do something uncomfortable? It was you guys, I believe, that coined the phrase "When this trucks a rocking, don't come knocking" perhaps it could be adapted for the roof tent?
Yet another thought occurs to me, in the middle of the night when you get the call of nature what do you do? that ladder is a serious risk for me, I'm always half asleep!
What happens if a drunk driver takes out your supports? I really don't think they have thought this through at all!

Anyway rant over and I'm sure that "overlanding" is a great thing to do, what ever it is and just for the record my wife and I "offroad" or we take a "road trip" which always includes some off roading and wild camping and our extensive range of equipment can be seen in our album "Wayalife Scotland" and i make no apology for stealing your name because when we bought our Jeep the Wayalife came with it for free.
PS. we love the website, the movies, the techy stuff, the articles, just great keep it coming.:standing wave:
Then we Americanized it htc transfer 793.jpg

That is GREAT! This thread never disappoints! :thumb:

American overland Vehicles

Then we Americanized it View attachment 24130

You could be on to something there nice, neat compact rig but tell me? the spare wheels, they seem to be different tires and different sizes, are they just ballast or are you also carrying spares for your buddies and if not these reasons, do you anticipate getting that many punctures on a trip. never seen that many spares on a vehicle before! mind you I once had 15 punctures on a 16 mile cycle ride so I guess you have to be prepared for the worst, in my case I just threw the thing in the hedge bottom and walked home and fetched with the car later that day, why, because I didn't have enough patches in my repair kit, I wasn't prepared see!

You could be on to something there nice, neat compact rig but tell me? the spare wheels, they seem to be different tires and different sizes, are they just ballast or are you also carrying spares for your buddies and if not these reasons, do you anticipate getting that many punctures on a trip. never seen that many spares on a vehicle before! mind you I once had 15 punctures on a 16 mile cycle ride so I guess you have to be prepared for the worst, in my case I just threw the thing in the hedge bottom and walked home and fetched with the car later that day, why, because I didn't have enough patches in my repair kit, I wasn't prepared see!
LOL I was on a service call (inner city Harrisburg PA). I went to get parts from my van and low and behold that thing was sitting there. I'm kinda new to the whole jeepin Wayalife but remembered this thread and had to get a pic. I'm thinking he gets a bunch of scrap tires for free and just changes them out as they blow.

LOL I was on a service call (inner city Harrisburg PA). I went to get parts from my van and low and behold that thing was sitting there. I'm kinda new to the whole jeepin Wayalife but remembered this thread and had to get a pic. I'm thinking he gets a bunch of scrap tires for free and just changes them out as they blow.

Ha, laughs on me, I thought this was your rig and I was trying to be diplomatic and not offend!!!

This is an amazingly long and hilarious thread lol.

To add my unimportant opinion...

I have an overland-built Jeep...

...because it doesn't have the stronger components necessary to Rock Crawl with any sort of confidence. Although I have a few enhancements that make running light trails, muddy trails, trails to camp on, etc. a bit easier (mainly more aggressive tires, added cargo space, fuel bladder, shocks etc.)...I feel like if I tried to get up some of the stuff in CO or MOAB, something would break. I mean, I'm still running a D30 front.

So...I'd say that a rig capable of rock crawling is def. capable of overlanding (based on my silly self generated definitions), just probably not the other way around (but maybe someone with no rocks doesn't need a rig for rock crawling)

:thankyou:

Last edited:
So...I'd say that a rig capable of rock crawling is def. capable of overlanding (based on my silly self generated definitions), just probably not the other way around (but maybe someone with no rocks doesn't need a rig for rock crawling)

:thankyou:

Hell yeah, I think ur absolutely right...it depends on the land you are going over!

For instance I am currently living in South Orange County, and my modifications include a great pair of Nike tenni's...because I can walk everywhere and much faster than if I were to drive through the parking-lot they call the I-5! :yup:

Hell yeah, I think ur absolutely right...it depends on the land you are going over!

For instance I am currently living in South Orange County, and my modifications include a great pair of Nike tenni's...because I can walk everywhere and much faster than if I were to drive through the parking-lot they call the I-5! :yup:

Can we also add the 55 FWY to that list!?!?!?!

Top Bottom