Roof Rack + Snorkel = Overland?

Next thing we know, soft tops will be illegal. Shouldn't give them any ideas.

So Gibbo or Yeahright (our Aussie Crew), how about your doors? Most states here in the U.S. don't care if we have doors on, or doors off on our jeeps. What about in the land down under, are you allowed to run with doorsoff?

I know recently an importer/dealer here had a charity run along the beach in Victoria, and they went doors off. I don't know if they got special permission or what was the go, but yeah other than that doors off a big no no.

So keeping on the subject of this thread, I guess it's ok to build an overlander in Australia, but not a rock crawler. See how lucky you are to live in the land of the free.

So, on a more serious note... I want to put a snorkel on my new JK so I can play in the mud and water with less fear... I know there are other components that would also need to be addressed (transfer case, and lockers???) but I was hoping someone could help me list which need to have lines placed to avoid unwanted crap invading them:)

So, on a more serious note... I want to put a snorkel on my new JK so I can play in the mud and water with less fear... I know there are other components that would also need to be addressed (transfer case, and lockers???) but I was hoping someone could help me list which need to have lines placed to avoid unwanted crap invading them:)

Sounds like you are off to a good start! The snorkel is easy, pick a manufacturer. Basically anything that has a breather tube needs to have it extended, and that can be as long as you want. I grew up mudding in Louisiana, and played in really deep water, I actually ran breather lines at least as high as my bed rails. Other than that, you may want to look at sealing the electronics/fuse box/etc. from mud and water. Heck, I even upgraded the window washer system to a switched electrical bilge pump with about a 5 gallon water supply running water lines directly on to the wiper blades for "constant on" water supply to windshield when needed.

Haven't done snorkel research, but I like the (Rugged Ridge?) design that replaces your cowl on the passenger side so that you don't have to do any cutting of the body/hood. I heard the install is a bit involved, but at least it is a reversible snorkel that won't necessitate replacing body panels if you decide to remove it...

I had no idea of the crazy regulations you had to deal with until you started posting! :icon_crazy: I guess I had always thought of Australia as very like minded with the United States when it came to vehicles......only they are all right hand drive vehicles! That really sucks to hear.
I wouldn't believe everything you read.

so if needed you can get parts easily, for example, overland or " tourers" as they are called over here in Australia, are usually Nissan Patrols or Toyota Landcruisers, and one of the reasons for this is there is heaps of them. If needed nearly every farm or station ( ranch) has one that you may be able to get parts off.
Maybe in a few more years there'll be broken down Jeeps all over the out back as well, but some how I don't think so. I guess we are pretty screwed for parts out there.

Yes I did it. i started an overland/expedition thread. With all fun aside. We dont have a thread on here that highlights exploration/adventure/and travel. Instead you see more of a meet at the trail head, we will post pics of our 4 hour trail run.

So I've decided to switch my build type from "unknown" to "overlander"

First step: Roof Rack

ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1357946540.296472.jpg
Check

Step two: sleeping

Now, I know a lot of overlanders go with the tent. I myself prefer to sleep under the stars. Thus, I decided to just throw a sleeping bag on top.
ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1357946564.572646.jpg

Step three: Snorkel

No self-respecting overlander goes anywhere without the magical snorkel. I am not exactly sure what benefit it provides, but I know I need one.

ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1357946585.009030.jpg

Still working out the details of the install and the build itself.

Let me know if you need a write up.

:cheesy:

View attachment 12005
Check

Now, I know a lot of overlanders go with the tent. I myself prefer to sleep under the stars. Thus, I decided to just throw a sleeping bag on top.
View attachment 12006

No self-respecting overlander goes anywhere without the magical snorkel. I am not exactly sure what benefit it provides, but I know I need one.

View attachment 12007

What brand snorkel and did you see a big increase in power and MPG? Looks nice brother! Your rig is really starting to come together. :cheesy:

View attachment 12005
Check

View attachment 12006

View attachment 12007

That snorkel is fkn epic!!! Lmao:D

Sent from my DROID RAZR using WAYALIFE mobile app

Eddie will pry need a write up so he can FINALLY turn Moby into a true over lander like he has always dreamed of!!😂

Top Bottom