Rockhard4x4 cage

hinrichs

Caught the Bug
I would suggest a dremmel or similar tool with a grinding disk or something to grind them down a little if you want to clean it up. If they had a good welder on hand using tig it should look so much better than what you have there. I am not good at welding myself, well my welds never look great but i know if i showed my friend this he would say the same

rtguy1

I would suggest a dremmel or similar tool with a grinding disk or something to grind them down a little if you want to clean it up. If they had a good welder on hand using tig it should look so much better than what you have there. I am not good at welding myself, well my welds never look great but i know if i showed my friend this he would say the same

i thought about grinding them but i really dont want to remove any material. this is an option but prob a last resort. the piece i posted pics of will be getting replaced. i talked to dave earlier at northridge4x4 to let him know about the issue. its gonna get resolved one way or another. the rest of the cage is not so bad, but could use a little beautification before powdercoat:yup:

hinrichs

Caught the Bug
could you possibly post pics of some of the better welds on the cage? I probably wont be ordering one for some time but wouldnt hurt to see what it looks like before ordering and possibly being unhappy with it.

rtguy1

could you possibly post pics of some of the better welds on the cage? I probably wont be ordering one for some time but wouldnt hurt to see what it looks like before ordering and possibly being unhappy with it.

i can this weekend. the rest of my cage is in my dads garage. its much closer to the powdercoat shop. I will be taking it after work one morning and didnt wanna leave it in my ride while at work overnight. i'll get some more pics of the rest of the cage tomorrow. its a big difference from the piece i posted pics of. still not like evo or psc welds but they are not in that price range either.

rtguy1

Received an email from James at Rockhard.

"I agree with you about the welds. And if there is a noise in the tube lets fix this. I am sorry about this. I will be sending you a replacement rear center section for your 2 door. Is the rear bar ok?"

Sounds like they stand behind their products and I will be receiving a new rear section. Hopefully someone just had a rough night on the town:rock:

I will update further when I receive said new rear section.

that is great that they stand by their product! their cage is on my list and to know that they are willing to assist if their customers are not happy is good to hear.

andrew -

On the topic of the PSC cage. Mine was noisy and rattled a little. then I wielded the front windshield brackets to the cage to keep the movement down and to also help support the windshield. no more noise from the cage after that. I was running a soft top the whole time also.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member

"I agree with you about the welds. And if there is a noise in the tube lets fix this. I am sorry about this. I will be sending you a replacement rear center section for your 2 door. Is the rear bar ok?"

Sounds like they stand behind their products and I will be receiving a new rear section. Hopefully someone just had a rough night on the town:rock:

Glad to hear it. I've always had great customer service from Rock Hard in the past and glad to see they are still at it :thumb:

Saharaunlmtd

Caught the Bug
Glad to hear it. I've always had great customer service from Rock Hard in the past and glad to see they are still at it :thumb:

X2 on Rockhard's customer service. I bought a scratch n dent set of sliders that turned out to be missing lots of specialty hardware. I contacted them and told them the truth and offered to pay shipping and for the hardware but they got me everything free of charge v

JHP81

so are they not going to send you the rest with "better" welds?
i mean, it's no brainer that they should send the rear section since it has faults but the welds look like ass(and they agree) for the amount of $ paid IMO.

Last edited:

rubicrawl

Ordered a full cage for my 2door forever ago. Rockhard sent me the front cage but managed to leave out the rear sections. It took two weeks for the first half to arrive, and another two for the rear sections. I opened the front up and was not impressed with the quality. The welds are poor with spatter all over. It was acceptable, but nothing like a poison spyder or evo weld. I finally opened the rear pieces today and will be seeking a replacement of the rear center bars from rockhard. The welds are really bad, and to top it off it sounds like there is a marble in one of the tubes:cheesy: upon accel and decel it is gonna roll around in there. It's not a tiny piece of metal in there either, it large and loud. There is no way to access it as it is completely sealed. I thought about drilling a hole and shooting some spray foam in there then plug welding it, but I'm gonna talk to rockhard first. Just wanted to give everyone a heads up on this as for what to expect. From what I have heard today I'm not the only one who has had is issue. Jake at evo said his was similar with a chunk in the dash bar. It wound roll around upon turning....lol Here's a few crappy pics of a the welds that are poor and in some cases incomplete. This is the rear center bar only shown. Maybe I'm just used to higher quality products and welds, like the ones all over my rig from evo.:idontknow:

View attachment 22973 View attachment 22972 View attachment 22971 View attachment 22970 View attachment 22969

Wow I just saw your pics can't believe the welds I ordered my rock hard cage from 4x4 groupbuy.com for like 40 bucks cheaper and I got the whole thing at once like 2 weeks later and the welds weren't the prettiest but not close to yours I get my cage back this Thursday from powder coating the powder coater was going to grind down so really sharp parts that they left when they welded it together ill post pics when it's all done this week keep you posted

Philip *AZ*

Banned
I was going to say since your Jeep is already at EVO se if they can grind off the junk and do it right, but you are getting new stuff. Happy to hear that too, cause those pics looked bad on my iPhone. looking at them now on a desk top I was like :eek:

StrizzyChris

Wow I just saw your pics can't believe the welds I ordered my rock hard cage from 4x4 groupbuy.com for like 40 bucks cheaper and I got the whole thing at once like 2 weeks later and the welds weren't the prettiest but not close to yours I get my cage back this Thursday from powder coating the powder coater was going to grind down so really sharp parts that they left when they welded it together ill post pics when it's all done this week keep you posted

Dang hearing all this sucks...I was leaning towards this, because everyone's praise for ease of install. now Im gonna have to really look at two or three rock-hard cages in person before I make my purchase...if their quality control is this bad, then I may go with another company.

Philip *AZ*

Banned
Im sure he got a Friday cage. I would still buy from them. I am sure that someone is going to get their ass chewed for letting that cage go. If EVO let something like that come out of their shop I am sure there would be words. Rockhard made it right by replacing the unsatisfactory part. Doesnt sound like the made a big deal of it either. Dude saw unacceptable work and fixed the issue. Sounds like a company I would not mind doing biz with..:twocents:

Skirmish

Yeah, it's crazy that it got sent like that. Rock Hard has been making cages for a long time. I've seen a few installed and never saw a bad weld. I'm starting to feel better about my welds. Maybe it was bring your kid to work day and the welder's kid has no skills.

rtguy1

The front cage pieces are acceptable. Nothing like the rear section. All the pics posted were from the same rear center bar section that is getting replaced. They grind the welds to clean em up, but it still needs a bit of tlc to go on my rig. The quality matches the price point. The rear didn't look to have any grinding done to it at all. I would still buy another cage from them at this point. I got a killer deal for all three sections. The psc cage would have cost more just for the front. It will be nice once I play around with it and have it powdercoated.

Top Bottom