Rock Lights - Walmart Platinum Burner Installation Write-Up

07JKSahara

I ran the Walmart lights for awhile but have recently switched to LED's. Here is a what I am running now if you're looking for other possiblities. They are called Eagle Eye's they are basically a bolt with a nut and and LED as the head. I've been pretty impressed with them but the Walmart lights worked well too. The reason I switched, besides for green :), was they Walmart lights get really really hot and started to yellow.

Product on ebay:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/6X-3W-Eagle...l get the 3w? Is 10w going to be too bright?

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass
Bumping this, I can't find the non LED burners at any Walmart, so I'm going to go led.

Petey- I see they have 3w and 10w of the eagle eyes. If you did it again, would you still get the 3w? Is 10w going to be too bright?

The Walmart led lights aren't very good. I would look online or at another Walmart.

07JKSahara

The Walmart led lights aren't very good. I would look online or at another Walmart.

Sorry, should clarify. I'm going to do the eagle eye LEDs that crippledpetey posted. Im doing white, but have to admit this green was pretty cool in person. I couldn't even find the halogen burners on Walmart online...

MIURA

I've been wanting some rock lights for a while now so I'm gonna go ahead and do this mod, thanks Eddie!

I just have one quick question. I'm currently running my KC windshield 55W spot lights to my battery and to a Daystar switch with no relays. I also have my winch wired to my battery (to my understanding this shouldn't be an issue since I barely use it). Now my question is, When I add these will I need to run a relay for the KC windshield lights AND the rock lights? Or is it time to invest in an SPOD and forget all about relays? I don't wanna set my Jeep on fire due to some $18 Walmart lights..

DWiggles

Caught the Bug
Bumping this, I can't find the non LED burners at any Walmart, so I'm going to go led.

Petey- I see they have 3w and 10w of the eagle eyes. If you did it again, would you still get the 3w? Is 10w going to be too bright?

Eddie used Optronics Brand lights, Part number QH88CD. the part number can be seen clearly on the box in the first pic. They are available all over the place, including Walmart. :thinking:

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=optronics+QH88CD

Last edited:

DWiggles

Caught the Bug
Wow. Did you happen to look at the date on that post? 4 months ago and I still get the "original" let me google that.... Went another route, not available at Walmart, thanks for the help.

haha my bad, saw the last post was from today. :doh: lol just trying to help someone out. :thumb:

07JKSahara

haha my bad, saw the last post was from today. :doh: lol just trying to help someone out. :thumb:

It's all good. To the other post, I'd say you should use relays. It's pretty cheap insurance, but I don't think the sPod is the best on the market. Search DIY or Switch pros and you might be happier with one of those. That said, the rock lights don't pull a ton of power, so relays might not be necessary but better safe than sorry imo.

MIURA

It's all good. To the other post, I'd say you should use relays. It's pretty cheap insurance, but I don't think the sPod is the best on the market. Search DIY or Switch pros and you might be happier with one of those. That said, the rock lights don't pull a ton of power, so relays might not be necessary but better safe than sorry imo.

better safe than sorry for sure! I'll do some research on the different options available, thanks :beer:

Tylerself17

Great mod, did it myself earlier! My question is, can I purchase a sealant that would keep out the water and mud of those red dirt Oklahoma trails? And also I'd really love to see pictures of where people mounted their rear lights on 4 door JKU's! Thanks

robertoloco

I installed the walmart burners in the location in the write up.The first time out climbing some rocks the front tire must have came in contact with it because the light bracket was all bent and glass lens was busted.Anybody else have this problem?

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass
I installed the walmart burners in the location in the write up.The first time out climbing some rocks the front tire must have came in contact with it because the light bracket was all bent and glass lens was busted.Anybody else have this problem?

Yes. Move the light up higher.

chipper

Where is everybody running the wire to connect these lights together , for the front? Under the jeep somewhere or in the engine compartment ? And anyway you could give a quick description? Thanks

robertoloco

Thanks OverlanderJK.:doh:As for chipper,I ran the single wire to the driver side light.I ran the wire. up and took of the plastic tabs that hold the top of grill on,tucked wire under top of grill then reinstalled plastic tabs.On the passenger side is where I made my lights connect together.From there I undid the three bolts that hold top (I want to say fender)and ran wires under their.Make sure your wire is free and not pinched,then reinstall bolts.As for running wires into cab,I think it explains it very well in the write up.

chipper

Thanks OverlanderJK.:doh:As for chipper,I ran the single wire to the driver side light.I ran the wire. up and took of the plastic tabs that hold the top of grill on,tucked wire under top of grill then reinstalled plastic tabs.On the passenger side is where I made my lights connect together.From there I undid the three bolts that hold top (I want to say fender)and ran wires under their.Make sure your wire is free and not pinched,then reinstall bolts.As for running wires into cab,I think it explains it very well in the write up.

Awesome. Thanks.

rescuediver90

Walmart Burner Installation!

Wow what a great install and fantastic write up. Just completed it last night in about 2 hours. I have to say quite impressive and such a great concept. I hope to run two more lights on the same switch going to the rears. Anyone know if that is do-able by splicing into the same power wire?

highoctane

Caught the Bug
Wow what a great install and fantastic write up. Just completed it last night in about 2 hours. I have to say quite impressive and such a great concept. I hope to run two more lights on the same switch going to the rears. Anyone know if that is do-able by splicing into the same power wire?

You just have to be careful to not overload the wiring or switch. A relay to trigger the lights would be the safest bet.

samtuck11

Installed my burners last week before our trip this past weekend. Didn't expect to use them but we got caught on the trial at night. With the stock plastic front bumper still I expected that to block a lot of
The light but man for only $18 these burners were impressive! ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1456410814.321487.jpg

This is the only good picture I have with them. But has anyone tried running two more sets of the burners? Maybe in the middle and a set in the rear, if so can you just splice them into the same switch or do you need 3 separate switches? I'm worried it will be too much draw from the one wire to the battery and fuse.

Top Bottom