Rock and a hard spot

Oreo_penguin536

I know there are a lot of gun guys here and I need some help! I’m looking into buying my first AR and I’m dead locked between the Sig m400 elite and the m&p sport 2. Does anyone have any HANDS ON experience with either of those platforms? It’s going to be a sport carbine competition/home defense rig.
I’m not a new shooter but I am new to the AR platform and just don’t have the knowledge to make a good decision.

Be advised I know absolute jack s*** about their components so bare with me.

Plus for Sport 2 is the price point and it comes with sling mounts.
I would need to add a holograph/red dot combo sight, off camber iron sights( 45degree cant), new front rail (thing that goes around the barrel with attachment rails, right?)
Est. Price- $890-950 OTD

Plus for the Elite is it feels lighter, comes with a Romeo red dot and it feels “right”, plus it looks damn sexy. But holy hell I literally bought my truck for the cash I’d drop on this thing out the door.
I would need to add sling mounts, an off camber iron sight set up (the 45degree cant sights) at the time of purchase. I might buy a different holographic/red dot combo to replace the Romeo.
Est. Price- $1600 OTD.

I’m looking for something that I can keep and use for years without worrying about reliability. I’m not going to go Barbie girl and throw a bunch of useless junk on it for plinking, only stuff I’ll use and train/compete with. With that being said I’d like to keep the option open to nerd out for when I have a midlife crisis[emoji23].

I have zero experience with Sig and minimal with S&W mainly because I’ve never needed to contact them with anything for my pistol however I’ve been reading equal things on both guns, good and bad.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

SLO

Short answer is to go with the Sig M400. No comparison, in my opinion. There are other AR’s I’d look at first personally but if you have narrowed down to those two, Sig and don’t look back. You’ll end up spending at least that $600 difference over time to get the M&P to the point the Sig starts at and you still won’t have as good a rifle. The Sig comes with better furniture (grip, stock, hand guard, etc). The one thing I’m not sure on is the barrel. Also, the Romeo is a great starter red dot for what you are doing. I’d leave it alone and add the 45 degree mount if you want.

Oreo_penguin536

Short answer is to go with the Sig M400. No comparison, in my opinion. There are other AR’s I’d look at first personally but if you have narrowed down to those two, Sig and don’t look back. You’ll end up spending at least that $600 difference over time to get the M&P to the point the Sig starts at and you still won’t have as good a rifle. The Sig comes with better furniture (grip, stock, hand guard, etc). The one thing I’m not sure on is the barrel. Also, the Romeo is a great starter red dot for what you are doing. I’d leave it alone and add the 45 degree mount if you want.

From what I’ve read the barrel is some type of nitrate? Not sure what all that means.

If you have other suggestions by all means, please, shoot some out there I’m all ears. The reasons why it’s narrowed down to those 2 specifically is
1: they are both at the store I shop at and the only 2 I like out of a radical arms and a palmetto. Though they do have a 224 vaylkari for $900.
2: I’m scared to shop anywhere else in fear of getting taken for a ride. I trust the owners at this shop with my daughters life.

SLO

The nitrate is just a coating. The barrel quality and tolerances (accuracy) could be different between the two...I just done know enough. If i had to guess, I’d guess Sig is more accurate but that’s purely a guess based on the reputation of some of their other platforms.

If you want to shop at that store and trust them, you won’t go wrong with the Sig. For a factory built AR, I like Bravo Company, LWRC and Noveske. But, if they don’t have those, get the Sig and then build an AR for your next one because you will get another eventually.

Oreo_penguin536

The nitrate is just a coating. The barrel quality and tolerances (accuracy) could be different between the two...I just done know enough. If i had to guess, I’d guess Sig is more accurate but that’s purely a guess based on the reputation of some of their other platforms.

If you want to shop at that store and trust them, you won’t go wrong with the Sig. For a factory built AR, I like Bravo Company, LWRC and Noveske. But, if they don’t have those, get the Sig and then build an AR for your next one because you will get another eventually.

Anything else I should ask/look for? Sig has a 1:7 twist which I hear is good for heavier ammo.

SLO

I like 1:7 twist for 223/556. I wouldn’t get too set on ammo grain until you do some test shots. I’d pick up 5 different boxes of readily available ammo and do 5 shot groups at 50 yards (with a red dot) or 100 yards with a scope. That should give you a good idea of what ammo it likes.

Can’t think of anything else right off the bat. My only concern is that rifle is $1495 list and I see places selling for $1100 to $1200. That is with the Romeo. I don’t understand why it is $1600

Oreo_penguin536

I like 1:7 twist for 223/556. I wouldn’t get too set on ammo grain until you do some test shots. I’d pick up 5 different boxes of readily available ammo and do 5 shot groups at 50 yards (with a red dot) or 100 yards with a scope. That should give you a good idea of what ammo it likes.

Can’t think of anything else right off the bat. My only concern is that rifle is $1495 list and I see places selling for $1100 to $1200. That is with the Romeo. I don’t understand why it is $1600

Oh, no you’re right, It is listed at 1300. I was guesstimating after the sling mounts, off camber sights (85$ per sight unless I go super cheap) and a mag or 2 the price would go up to around 1600.

Top Bottom