Ride Quality Questions

NME

Hey everyone, so I know that the shocks and springs play a huge (maybe the largest) part in the ride quality of the rig, but is there any other component that can be added/upgraded that might help? I don't hate my ride, I just know it can be better, and I have some plush coils coming soon which will improve it (so I am told, currently running skyjacker springs; came with the Jeep) but just wondering if I should look into any other parts?

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
How much air you run I. Your tires make a HUGE difference too.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE

boardsurfer

So if I am running 37" MT's what PSI would you run them at? Or does the manufacturer of the tire matter as well?

The load range will matter more than the manufacturer I think, but it's free to test and see what suits you. My 37s are load range E, I have them at 28psi and the ride is pretty nice. The ride will start to feel spongey if you go too low. If you find a set that are load C, you'd likely want something a little higher. If you had your tires balanced and installed by a shop, dont be surprised if they are set to something crazy like 40 psi. You'll feel every pebble in the road.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
So if I am running 37" MT's what PSI would you run them at? Or does the manufacturer of the tire matter as well?

As mentioned, the load range will make a difference. load range C will be softer and E will be a lot harder. Overall, I prefer to run at about 26-30 max.

NME

The load range will matter more than the manufacturer I think, but it's free to test and see what suits you. My 37s are load range E, I have them at 28psi and the ride is pretty nice. The ride will start to feel spongey if you go too low. If you find a set that are load C, you'd likely want something a little higher. If you had your tires balanced and installed by a shop, dont be surprised if they are set to something crazy like 40 psi. You'll feel every pebble in the road.

Thanks for all the info. I did have them installed at a shop pretty recently so I will check the load range and the PSI tomorrow. Thanks again.

NME

As mentioned, the load range will make a difference. load range C will be softer and E will be a lot harder. Overall, I prefer to run at about 26-30 max.

Thanks for the info. I'll check my PSI tomorrow and set it within that range to see what feels good. Thanks again.

NME

Also, talking about ride quality, I am replacing my ball joints as soon as they get here in the mail. I am replacing them because of death wobble and crap handling, and the fact I haven't replaced them in like 50k miles. Yes, I did do the basic check, lifted the Jeep and the tire rocks back and forth. So it isn't a question of whether or not they need replaced. However, I just realized I have never upgraded or replaced the track bar on my Jeep and its a stock Rubi track bar. If I am still getting a lot of vibration or wobble in the steering line, could that be the next thing I need to replace? I read that wobble and vibration is a sign of a worn out track bar but because the ball joints are so jacked its hard to tell if it the track bar is bad.

Edit: In case anyone hasn't noticed, there have been a lot of problems with my Jeep piling up over the last couple years that have gone unchecked. Just trying to get a hold on all of them now.

Last edited:

JKbrick

Use the chalk test method on your psi issue, plus with the jeep on its own weight have someone turn the steering wheel back and forth. Watch the ends of the track bar for play

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

Ddays

Hooked
Google "Chalk test"

It's an easy way to verify the psi that gives you the full tread coverage for the tire contact patch. Depending on the load range as others have mentioned, you'll probably end up in the 24-28psi range

bmkrinne

Also, check your unit bearings. Front tires rocking back and forth could mean worn unit bearings.

With the tire off the ground, have someone rock the tire back and forth as you watch the tire/ wheel relative to the knuckle. Movement bad!

NME

Google "Chalk test"

It's an easy way to verify the psi that gives you the full tread coverage for the tire contact patch. Depending on the load range as others have mentioned, you'll probably end up in the 24-28psi range

Yeah I did that this morning, and I ended up at 28PSI feeling perfect. Thanks for the info

NME

Also, check your unit bearings. Front tires rocking back and forth could mean worn unit bearings.

With the tire off the ground, have someone rock the tire back and forth as you watch the tire/ wheel relative to the knuckle. Movement bad!

Thanks for the suggestion, I actually replaced the wheel bearing less than a month ago and I have only driven it on the road, so I don't think that would be the issue.

MericaMade

Also, talking about ride quality, I am replacing my ball joints as soon as they get here in the mail. I am replacing them because of death wobble and crap handling, and the fact I haven't replaced them in like 50k miles. Yes, I did do the basic check, lifted the Jeep and the tire rocks back and forth. So it isn't a question of whether or not they need replaced. However, I just realized I have never upgraded or replaced the track bar on my Jeep and its a stock Rubi track bar. If I am still getting a lot of vibration or wobble in the steering line, could that be the next thing I need to replace? I read that wobble and vibration is a sign of a worn out track bar but because the ball joints are so jacked its hard to tell if it the track bar is bad.

Edit: In case anyone hasn't noticed, there have been a lot of problems with my Jeep piling up over the last couple years that have gone unchecked. Just trying to get a hold on all of them now.

Check the bushings on the trackbar and the mount on the frame to see if the hole is starting to oval out. If the hole is oval you can get the Synergy Track bar bar reinforcement to fix and I highly recommend the Synergy track bar as well. Currie is another great option to look at as well.

NME

Check the bushings on the trackbar and the mount on the frame to see if the hole is starting to oval out. If the hole is oval you can get the Synergy Track bar bar reinforcement to fix and I highly recommend the Synergy track bar as well. Currie is another great option to look at as well.

The whole front steering assembly is pretty much trashed. All stock rubi parts and need replaced anyways. Everything down there has an unusual amount of play anyways. So I went with JKS track bar and I plan to get the Currie Currectlync once I figure out if the normal upgrade would be all I need for my application over the extreme duty one that is almost double the price.

Edit: Over double the price.

Last edited:
Top Bottom