Rear wheel well paint

rockwell

Just pulled my rear wheel well liners and trimmed the fenders in anticipation of moving up to 37's. I noticed many don't paint the wheel wells, but with having a white jeep they really stand out. Just wondering what everyone is using to paint the wheel wells? I am considering rubberized undercoating and was wondering how that held up to all the crap that is going to be flung up there? How about that spray can bed liner. Looking for something that won't chip off and be easy to hose off.

zimm

Caught the Bug
Spray on bed liner in a can. They aren't kidding about the "light coats". I went with a medium coat and got a few runs. I taped off and left the outer part body color and only sprayed the wheel liners.

Before:
34413221301_7ae11f415e_b.jpg

34041465963_048ef4d6c1_b.jpg

Robertcrav

I scuffed everything with a red scotchbright, then self etching primer and finally satin black rustoleum
autocompress1498421440990.jpg IMG_20170630_152404_105.jpg

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk

thombull

I scuffed everything with a red scotchbright, then self etching primer and finally satin black rustoleum
View attachment 266679 View attachment 266680

My OCD is kicking in! You should finish up by matching the front fenders right behind the back of the tires like you did the rear fenders in front of the back tires. Does that make any sense? Like the area at the front of your rock sliders.

Sent from my QMV7A using WAYALIFE mobile app

Robertcrav

I plan to...dont worry...bugs me too...i have to pre install my sliders, then remove the front flares trim a little bit then paint

[emoji106] [emoji106] [emoji106] [emoji41]

J

JKDream

Just pulled my rear wheel well liners and trimmed the fenders in anticipation of moving up to 37's. I noticed many don't paint the wheel wells, but with having a white jeep they really stand out. Just wondering what everyone is using to paint the wheel wells? I am considering rubberized undercoating and was wondering how that held up to all the crap that is going to be flung up there? How about that spray can bed liner. Looking for something that won't chip off and be easy to hose off.

Don't use the rubberized stuff. Literally everything sticks to it and doesn't wash off.
Looks like shit after one trip.

Sharkey

Word Ninja
Do the pinch seam along the bottom of the Jeep too. It will add to the pop of your sliders and it also gives the appearance of a little bit extra height.:thumb:

Jackal01

I did the rubberized undercoat. I touch up every 6 months or so when it has faded enough. I haven't had issues with stuff sticking to it however. No different than any other regular paint in my experience. Now the spray on bedliner that is not as easy to keep clean. I have it on my sliders. I touch that up every 6 months as well.

WJCO

Meme King
We used flat black paint and touch up accordingly. On some of the areas where metal lines are, we used flexseal to hide the lines. You can't see the difference.

Bierpower

Hooked
Don't use the rubberized stuff. Literally everything sticks to it and doesn't wash off.
Looks like shit after one trip.
I did the rubberized undercoat. I touch up every 6 months or so when it has faded enough. I haven't had issues with stuff sticking to it however. No different than any other regular paint in my experience. Now the spray on bedliner that is not as easy to keep clean. I have it on my sliders. I touch that up every 6 months as well.

They make two different types of this rubberized undercoating. One never dries and stays tacky while the other will dry completely. If you use it, be sure to read the entire can in the store and get the stuff that dries. Lesson learned.

Sent from my SM-P550 using WAYALIFE mobile app

J

JKDream

They make two different types of this rubberized undercoating. One never dries and stays tacky while the other will dry completely. If you use it, be sure to read the entire can in the store and get the stuff that dries. Lesson learned.

Sent from my SM-P550 using WAYALIFE mobile app
Good point. I used to shit the stays "flexible" assuming it would hold up better to scratches. Can't say for sure that it does, but it certainly looks faded and shitty after a couple of drives lol

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3000 using WAYALIFE mobile app

rockwell

Before painting do you guys tape up the holes and openings up in there, looks like it goes into the tail light cavity. How about the seams? Road salt could get into those areas and get nasty.

WJCO

Meme King
Before painting do you guys tape up the holes and openings up in there, looks like it goes into the tail light cavity. How about the seams? Road salt could get into those areas and get nasty.

We didn't plug/tape anything on ours.

Top Bottom