Rear pinion seal

desertrunner

I think it's safe to say my rear pinion seal is finally at its end and in hind sight probably the root cause of my burnt up shaft bearing a year and half ago.
Anyone got any good write ups for it? I feel like it should be as simple as removing the flange replace seal be on my way but not 100% on all the pinion preload stuff since a shop did the rear gears for me.

20230615_143331.jpg

Yes you will remove the yoke and then the seal. When you put it back together, I wanna say the torque is 160 or 190 ft lbs. If using an impact, you can zip it down but make sure you don’t keep tightening (smaller impacts shouldn’t) as it could crush the crush sleeve adding more preload on the bearings.

WJCO

Meme King
You can put fingernail polish on the nut, axle housing, and yoke as witness marks to make sure it ends up in the same place too. Of course assuming the nut has gone around enough time to achieve proper torque.

desertrunner

So basically as long as I torque it back to what it was I don't have to mess with a new crush sleeve or pinion preload is what I'm gathering?
I do have some torque paint from work we have that stuff all over our aircraft

So basically as long as I torque it back to what it was I don't have to mess with a new crush sleeve or pinion preload is what I'm gathering?
I do have some torque paint from work we have that stuff all over our aircraft
Correct, just have to make sure the nut is torqued but don’t over tighten to crush the sleeve more. And it takes some good torque to crush it more so don’t be too afraid of it.

desertrunner

got the seal replaced. When I pulled the old seal i pulled what appeared to be pieces of the old seal spring out so i imagine thats why it was leaking. reinstalled the nut to 160 ft-lbs which linded up the marks i made prior to removing. drove it to work today with no leaks or weird noises so think im good to go for now. thanks for the help gents!

got the seal replaced. When I pulled the old seal i pulled what appeared to be pieces of the old seal spring out so i imagine thats why it was leaking. reinstalled the nut to 160 ft-lbs which linded up the marks i made prior to removing. drove it to work today with no leaks or weird noises so think im good to go for now. thanks for the help gents!
Glad it all worked out! And that spring is prone to popping off when hitting the seal on.

Top Bottom