rear pinion nut too loose??

Ny in az

I installed adams rear driveshaft and my electric impact doesn't seem to have enough power to get that nut tight enough. It's close but flange just seems to have a little more play now then before I removed the stock one. Everyone makes a big deal about it being too tight but, nothing about it maybe not being tight enough. Am I worring about a nonissue or is this a problem waiting to happen??????? Oh yea Happy Thanksgiving!!

I installed adams rear driveshaft and my electric impact doesn't seem to have enough power to get that nut tight enough. It's close but flange just seems to have a little more play now then before I removed the stock one. Everyone makes a big deal about it being too tight but, nothing about it maybe not being tight enough. Am I worring about a nonissue or is this a problem waiting to happen??????? Oh yea Happy Thanksgiving!!
Does it feel loose rotational wise or is it plunging in and out? Which axle and front or rear?

Rear pinion is torqued to 120-190ft lbs. Any decent impact should get it tight enough but a torque wrench can’t hurt to confirm. If a JL\JT, they do set up super light around 14-19 in lbs so it feeling “loose” is normal.

Last edited:

JeepFan

Hooked
Just fyi...Neapco makes a 1350 flange that that fits the factory rear diff pinion flange so you don't need to disturb the crush sleeve.

JeepFan

Hooked
LOL - really??? I feel silly for not knowing this. Please tell me more!
LOL! I don't know if you remember me telling you the JL has this strange humming sound transmitting through our JL above 65 MPH after I installed the lift. Turns out it's coming from the rear factory drive shaft. I knew eventually I would have to replace it but didn't want to mess around with the rear pinion crush sleeve. After a few hours of research, I found out Neapco makes an OE style flange for a 1350 u-joint.

https://neapcoparts.com/n3-2-jl01-driveshaft-flange-yoke/

Most driveline shops do not advertise this on their websites but if you call them, tell them you're looking for a rear shaft with an OE style flange on the rear axle. They will build one for you! I have one on order through JE Reel.

I'll report on how it performs.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
LOL! I don't know if you remember me telling you the JL has this strange humming sound transmitting through our JL above 65 MPH after I installed the lift. Turns out it's coming from the rear factory drive shaft. I knew eventually I would have to replace it but didn't want to mess around with the rear pinion crush sleeve. After a few hours of research, I found out Neapco makes an OE style flange for a 1350 u-joint.

Most driveline shops do not advertise this on their websites but if you call them, tell them you're looking for a rear shaft with an OE style flange on the rear axle. They will build one for you! I have one on order through JE Reel.

Wow, I do remember you telling me about the hum but didn't realize it was coming from the drive shaft. How did you figure that out?

Either way, the flange is awesome! I stopped by Neapco at SEMA and was told they didn't have anything new this year so I'm guessing this has been out for a while now LOL

Very cool on the info! I'll be giving JE Reel a call about this (y)

JeepFan

Hooked
Wow, I do remember you telling me about the hum but didn't realize it was coming from the drive shaft. How did you figure that out?

Either way, the flange is awesome! I stopped by Neapco at SEMA and was told they didn't have anything new this year so I'm guessing this has been out for a while now LOL

Very cool on the info! I'll be giving JE Reel a call about this (y)
I removed the rear shaft and drove it up to 75 MPH. No more noise. It seems unusual a factory shaft would have this problem, but it must not like the additional angle from installing the lift. Strange thing is I cannot feel a vibration what soever, just the sound. It was driving me nuts! LOL! I even tried changing the pinion angle and it made no difference. I replaced the front drive shaft when I installed the lift as well. JE Reel will build you a front shaft with the OE style 4 bolt flange. No need to mess round with the crush sleeve.

I think they have been out for a while, and I bet your local DS shop would build you one! I found a driveline shop up in Idaho that actually gives you OE style flange option on their web site.

Anyway, I hope it solves my humming noise. I'll keep everyone posted on my chronicles thread...

Super cool I’ve never seen these before! Thanks for the info sir, will definitely keep these in mind when needed.

Lperdue

Reminds me of the one Dana spicer made for the JT a few years ago I believe.

Attachments

• IMG_6394.png
    IMG_6394.png
    615 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG_6395.png
    IMG_6395.png
    1 MB · Views: 9
Top Bottom