Rear Diff leaking oil

LeyoM52

Hey guys! I was wondering if anyone could give some advice on the rear diff leaking oil on my ‘07 JKU. It has a 3-1/2” rough country lift on. I had it parked in the garage overnight and came out to a massive amount of oil leaking out of the rear. I had help draining the oil, cleaning the cover, putting it back on, putting more oil in and sealing it all. It’s still leaking a decent amount but not nearly as bad as it was. Any advice on what could be happening? We did notice a slight dent on the cover putting it back on so maybe it’s not sealing properly but I wanted to see what you guys thought! Thanks!!

black pearl

Hooked
A warped diff cover can cause leaks. You could pull it again, clean it up and set it on a glass table top to see how out it is. Could also run a little bit more RTV and lat it setup longer before torquing. Then there is always just replacing the cover.
That is definitely where it’s coming from?

LeyoM52

That’s what I’m thinking also because if so, it’s warped just enough that it’s leaking maybe quarter sized stains on the garage floor instead of giant pools of oil. It’s definitely coming from the rear end

LeyoM52

The oil spots on the floor are directly below the cover….but it very well could be the pinion!! I will check that out thank you!!

BlackKnight

After draining the oil did you clean the diff cover and mating surface on the Diff very well?
What did you use for a Gasket? Personally, I'm a Lubelocker guy, but others swear by the paste.
Also, OEM Diff Cover? is it dinged up on the edge? could need to be replaced if it is...

CalSgt

Hooked
The oil spots on the floor are directly below the cover….but it very well could be the pinion!! I will check that out thank you!!
The oil spot will almost always be directly below the lowest point... Like Snowboard says clean it up then track down where its coming from

LeyoM52

Thanks for the comments!! I’m definitely gonna go back through and check everything out again. Yeah we used a shit ton of RTV to seal it back up after draining and cleaning the oil out. Thanks again

Thanks for the comments!! I’m definitely gonna go back through and check everything out again. Yeah we used a shit ton of RTV to seal it back up after draining and cleaning the oil out. Thanks again
If you used thet much rtv on a clean surface it isn’t a dented cover. Rtv will seal a dent when used in excess like that.

thombull

To the OP, are you finding that the bolts holding on the cover are coming loose over a few days of driving? If so, the axle housing is flexing causing it, which in turn causes the seal to break on the cover when using rtv.

MericaMade

I had this issue with the Dynatrac diff cover on my rear stock 44 and front PR44. I switched to the lube lockers and the issues went away.

Top Bottom