Re gear cost $$

Aloy

I was wondering what would be a decent price to re gear. I called my local shop I was told 2800 to re gear.

benatc1

Hooked
Yes very reasonable, I swung into a shop here in town a couple weeks ago for something else and asked what they got parts/install and they told me 4800 lol

Aloy

Book time is probably 6 hours per axle. Most shops are between 150-200 per hour. So just labor is about 2000.
What do you mean?. I heard that work takes most 2 hours if they know what they are doing

WJCO

Meme King
What do you mean?. I heard that work takes most 2 hours if they know what they are doing
I can't imagine a mechanic that does gears all day and every day doing a regear on even one axle in two hours.

Absolutely not true. Speed doesn’t mean you are doing it right. We also quote 6 hours per axle. Sometimes you can get a good setup within two adjustments or sometimes they take more time to get right. I have also heard guys say “it’s close enough” when setting them up, you don’t want that.

If all goes smooth (don’t find any other issues), we can usually do a full set of gears in about 7-9 hours. I also take my time as any small oversight can be trouble.

Last edited:

Aloy

Absolutely not true. Speed doesn’t mean you are doing it right. We also quote 6 hours per axle. Sometimes you can get a good setup within two adjustments or sometimes they take more time to get right. I have also heard guys say “it’s close enough” when setting them up, you don’t want that.

If all goes smooth (don’t find any other issues), we can usually do a full set of gears in about 7-9 hours. I also take my time as any small oversight can be trouble.
What’s the cost ?

duktrx

In May I just had a full regear and rear ARB install done at a local shop, $1000 cash in labor. In December when they found the mysterious clunking in my rear diff, they couldn't find a set of gears for me, so they let me source my own parts. The guy who did my work said it was the easiest gear install he had done in a long time. The original quote was $1500, said a lot of guys want Yukon, but they are a PIA to get right as they tend to whine a lot.

I did some research and heard good things about Carbon gears, so I called Ron at Carbon Offroad and chatted. I decided to go with Carbon and ordered gears, 35 spline rear axles, and the matching ARB locker.

If I knew Disciple Off Road sold Carbon, I would have given him a call.

Carbon drills out the holes in the locker for the larger gear bolts and presses the bearings on the axles, so less labor for my local shop. I ran the stainless airline from my compressor to the rear axle. These guys also rebuilt the transmission in my 1997 Ram 2500, my wife's VW TDI transmission, and I sent a neighbor there to build his axles for his K5 Blazer. All this may have helped lower my out the four cost.

Top Bottom