Random Willys of the day

2nd.gunman

Caught the Bug
I've been searching through the Australian War Memorial archives recently for info on my grandfathers war service and found a few Jeep pictures from the pacific that i thought were worth sharing
015802.JPG
061633.JPG
017451.JPG
078821.JPG
063179.JPG

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Whoa, those are some cool shots!! I wonder what happened with the crushed Jeep under the plane.

2nd.gunman

Caught the Bug
From the AWM description:
'Tadji, New Guinea. 1945-01-21. A badly smashed Australian Army jeep under the tail of A9-557, a DAP Beaufort bomber aircraft operated by No 100 Squadron RAAF. This aircraft returned from a strike against Japanese positions at Wewak with one unexploded 40lb bomb loose in the bomb bay. In order not to shake it free on landing the pilot, Flight Lieutenant H J Fowler, decided to make a "flaps up" landing, only applying the brakes at the last possible moment. When he did however, only one wheel gripped slewing the aircraft into four jeeps parked on the edge of the runway and also crashing into the Air Transport Command office. Fortunately, despite the rough treatment, the bomb did not explode and strangely enough was found on the seat of one of the wrecked jeeps. One man, in one of the jeeps, was killed in the accident. (Donor S. Lightfoot)'

a couple more of the same incident
P02589.001.JPG
078819.JPG

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
From the AWM description:
'Tadji, New Guinea. 1945-01-21. A badly smashed Australian Army jeep under the tail of A9-557, a DAP Beaufort bomber aircraft operated by No 100 Squadron RAAF. This aircraft returned from a strike against Japanese positions at Wewak with one unexploded 40lb bomb loose in the bomb bay. In order not to shake it free on landing the pilot, Flight Lieutenant H J Fowler, decided to make a "flaps up" landing, only applying the brakes at the last possible moment. When he did however, only one wheel gripped slewing the aircraft into four jeeps parked on the edge of the runway and also crashing into the Air Transport Command office. Fortunately, despite the rough treatment, the bomb did not explode and strangely enough was found on the seat of one of the wrecked jeeps. One man, in one of the jeeps, was killed in the accident. (Donor S. Lightfoot)'

a couple more of the same incident

Oh wow, that's a great story. Thanks for posting that up. :thumb:

DannyD

Those are awesome I too gotta wonder how they managed to get a jeep stuck sideways under an plane

MKorn

I parked next to this one at Jeeps on the Beach
ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1470011957.695739.jpg

The guy drove it around the speedway to be part of the parade.

ob_tj

While at work today a guy pulled up in this next to our station! He said it was a CJ2A and his grandpa bought it new when he got home from the war. Cool willys for sure!!

Attachments

• 1470440283179.jpg
    1470440283179.jpg
    76.7 KB · Views: 133
  • 1470440296172.jpg
    1470440296172.jpg
    61.8 KB · Views: 124
Top Bottom