Random Photos

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Still trying to figure out exactly how this happened but I was very surprised to say the least. My brother and I got stuck in similar mud holes. I was winched out from my dring mount and pulled out. Then my brother same method and snap goes his stinger off his bumper. Welds broke and bolts. How idk. The winch line was connected to a D Ring on the d ring mount and in no way was the stinger being used to pull. Funny thing is my smittybilt is fine his Evo qtr pounder stinger not so much.... And after the stinger popped off we just kept pulling his jeep out like nothing happened since the D Ring connection was still intact with the winch line

Okay, I've been looking at this for a while and after giving it a lot of thought, I can see how this could of happened but ONLY if the 6 top mounting bolts were missing, missing their nuts or were even loose. The top of the tube where it's welded to the D-ring mount isn't sealed and open enough to allow water to get in. Over time, I could see how this will allow the unfinished tube to rust at this point and make it weak. IF the top bolts were missing or loose, a sudden hard jerk of the Jeep, the kind that you would see from trying snatch strap it out of a mud bog could cause enough inertia to break the already weak welds that are only on the bottom of the tube. What I don't understand is why I'm not seeing some kind of foot print or color difference on the top of the bumper where the top plate would have been bolted up to. I've had to remove my stinger from my bumper in the past and you could clearly see where the top plate was pressing firmly against it.

attachment.jpg

attachment2.jpg

Well, that's just my best guess anyway and only based on what I can see and trying really hard to give you the benefit of the doubt that you are telling it to us straight.

JRied

Okay, I've been looking at this for a while and after giving it a lot of thought, I can see how this could of happened but ONLY if the 6 top mounting bolts were missing, missing their nuts or were even loose. The top of the tube where it's welded to the D-ring mount isn't sealed and open enough to allow water to get in. Over time, I could see how this will allow the unfinished tube to rust at this point and make it weak. IF the top bolts were missing or loose, a sudden hard jerk of the Jeep, the kind that you would see from trying snatch strap it out of a mud bog could cause enough inertia to break the already weak welds that are only on the bottom of the tube. What I don't understand is why I'm not seeing some kind of foot print or color difference on the top of the bumper where the top plate would have been bolted up to. I've had to remove my stinger from my bumper in the past and you could clearly see where the top plate was pressing firmly against it.

View attachment 144082

View attachment 144083

Well, that's just my best guess anyway and only based on what I can see and trying really hard to give you the benefit of the doubt that you are telling it to us straight.

What your saying makes sense. And I'm not asking for benefit of the doubt, not my jeep or bumper. It could've been loose or not idk. From what your saying it seems more likely then not that that's what happened.

JRied

And more often then not were in mud and water that's deeper that our bumpers so the rust up there makes sense

CJW

View attachment 144082

View attachment 144083

His explanation still sounds weird to me. I agree with what Wayalife explained but, if it was tied off by the d ring mount, the mount would have to twist to exert force on the stinger right? I just can't see the super thick mount moving as long as it's bolted down.

View attachment 144041

View attachment 144042

View attachment 144043

View attachment 144044

Still trying to figure out exactly how this happened but I was very surprised to say the least. My brother and I got stuck in similar mud holes. I was winched out from my dring mount and pulled out. Then my brother same method and snap goes his stinger off his bumper. Welds broke and bolts. How idk. The winch line was connected to a D Ring on the d ring mount and in no way was the stinger being used to pull. Funny thing is my smittybilt is fine his Evo qtr pounder stinger not so much.... And after the stinger popped off we just kept pulling his jeep out like nothing happened since the D Ring connection was still intact with the winch line

So my first question is how much time do you guys spend on the beach driving in the surf with your Jeeps?

Second question is the mud and water you are in, is it brackish?

I am not a metalurist but I do know a little about corrosion and the effects salt water has on metal. Looking at your pictures it looks like there is a build up of salt on the bumper. Additionally it looks like there is a packing peanut still in the bumper which will hold water. Lastly the ends of the stinger where the break is shows significant rust which tells me that water had penetrated a crack that was already present. For fresh water to do that much damage it would take months and months standing water in the tube area. As WAL stated there is not too making where the stinger was attached to the top of the bumper which acts as an anchor point. With out this anchor point the stinger will vibrate going down the road which will cause stress fractures in the welds no matter how good they are, which allows moisture even salt air to penetrate the metal and start the corrosion process.

Again this is just my humble opinion.

JRied

So my first question is how much time do you guys spend on the beach driving in the surf with your Jeeps?

Second question is the mud and water you are in, is it brackish?

I am not a metalurist but I do know a little about corrosion and the effects salt water has on metal. Looking at your pictures it looks like there is a build up of salt on the bumper. Additionally it looks like there is a packing peanut still in the bumper which will hold water. Lastly the ends of the stinger where the break is shows significant rust which tells me that water had penetrated a crack that was already present. For fresh water to do that much damage it would take months and months standing water in the tube area. As WAL stated there is not too making where the stinger was attached to the top of the bumper which acts as an anchor point. With out this anchor point the stinger will vibrate going down the road which will cause stress fractures in the welds no matter how good they are, which allows moisture even salt air to penetrate the metal and start the corrosion process.

Again this is just my humble opinion.

Never been on the beach with the jks and I don't mean on the sand/water I mean never been to the beach at all with them.

I don't believe it's brackish at all, most of our mud is Everglades/homestead trails or dirt roads flooded from storms. And the other is fields in the woods that have flooded as well from rain.

To me I believe it has had a crack for a while, rusted from repeated water exposure, not mounted correctly, poorly extracted, etc etc. all that accumulated cause for why appeared to be a freak failure. If it was my jeep I could be more specific and sure about torque specs, condition, etc etc I'm a little more ocd with my belongings

olram30

Not That Kind of Engineer
I would 2nd this except Wyoming is still God's country. I'm trying to leave Cali soon as possible.

With a population of 584,000 in the whole state it's hard to leave. there is nothing like going out into the mountains or exploring and not seeing a single vehicle or person. I really enjoy this state.

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass
With a population of 584,000 in the whole state it's hard to leave. there is nothing like going out into the mountains or exploring and not seeing a single vehicle or person. I really enjoy this state.

I want to buy property there. My parents have wanted to move to Wyoming for as long as I can remember, my dad in particular.

olram30

Not That Kind of Engineer
I want to buy property there. My parents have wanted to move to Wyoming for as long as I can remember, my dad in particular.

Really beautiful here. I've only lived here since 2004 and I have so many places to see. I can't really see myself living anywhere else.

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass
Really beautiful here. I've only lived here since 2004 and I have so many places to see. I can't really see myself living anywhere else.

Not sure I want to live there full time but I wouldn't mind a house there.

How is the weather in the winter where you are? Is it really cold and a lot of snow or more mild?

Top Bottom