Questions about factory trail cam

I wish I had gotten this as an option, but live and learn. I was looking at the Z automotive one and appreciate the tire tracks in the factory one, although would be slightly skewed with aftermarket wheels/tires. So I'm debating between doing the factory or the Z Automotive one (already have a Tazer).

Have any of you spent time behind both? One vastly superior?

The factory one appears to be a way more difficult install. Has anyone of you installed it? If so what is the time with this? If you had it installed after the fact what did you pay for the factory one to be installed?

I appreciate any input!

IMG_1262.jpeg

I always wondered too how handy it would really be. My winch sits on top of the bumper so didn't know if I'd have much of a view either.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
About the only use I see it having is in a parking lot.
Yup. And actually, when our Gladiator was still stock, it was helpful for pulling into our front garage as it was very tight and it did help to know when to stop. But even at that, I got more familiar with things and no longer needed it.
I always wondered too how handy it would really be. My winch sits on top of the bumper so didn't know if I'd have much of a view either.
If you're out on the trail and in a position where you need to see what's going on in front of you, NOTHING beats a good spotter.

I think what would be more useful. Is if we can leave the rear camera on while driving forward. So you’d know if you cleared an obstacle and can start turning.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Can the tazer do split screen with front and rear? That might be cool. Not necessarily helpful but maybe slightly.
I don't think so but then, they're always coming out with new things. That Acumen rear view mirror that we showed off at SEMA did though.

Brute

Hooked
I honestly can't say that I know anyone who would ever use one for wheeling. I mean, legitimate wheeling on the rocks. I have one on my JT and literally never use it for anything.
Was just thinking about this. Was building a Jeep online. I automatically clicked that option then realized I’ve had one for two years and used it zero times. lol
About the only use I see it having is in a parking lot.
I use it in our garage...so I don't hit my wife's car as we are a four car garage, two deep...

Brute

Hooked
I think what would be more useful. Is if we can leave the rear camera on while driving forward. So you’d know if you cleared an obstacle and can start turning.
I'll try to turn on the rear camera while driving forward in the 392...I can do it on my JK6 with the Alpine head unit...it eliminates the blind spot on the passenger side...

Sharkey

Word Ninja
You can turn the camera on at speed to briefly check a trailer too. But, like others have said, I really only use the cameras in parking situations (I do light the rear to help see that no little kids have wandered behind my Jeep). I’d still get them if I order red another Jeep.

I'll try to turn on the rear camera while driving forward in the 392...I can do it on my JK6 with the Alpine head unit...it eliminates the blind spot on the passenger side...
I think it lets you do it only for a few seconds. And it’s kinda cumbersome to get to or takes a bit to load the off-road pages. I’ll have to try again

kevman65

Hooked
I think it lets you do it only for a few seconds. And it’s kinda cumbersome to get to or takes a bit to load the off-road pages. I’ll have to try again
You can put a "camera" button on the task bar of your middle monitor. Then it's just a touch and you can see the guy behind you picking his nose.

Slaphitter

Caught the Bug
I use the trail cam for parking often. When I configured my jeep, it was clear to me that’s what it’s really for. On a previous car I really got used to the 360-degree camera/parking system. The combo of front and rear cameras isn’t quite the same, but it’s nice to have the front visibility. I have a tight garage and it’s helpful for tucking up close to the wall.

Top Bottom