Question from a very green 4 wheeler..........when to shift into 4 wheel drive

Hangemhigh1

I always thought that as soon as I went off pavement, is when the correct time to shift t 4wd. Hearing others talk about offroading, I sometimes hear people say that they stay in 2wd off pavement until its absolutely needed. Could someone please give me some examples of when 4wd is absolutely needed?

Will

There really is no need to go into 4wd just because you hit the dirt. Having said that, I don't recommend that you wait till its absolutely necessary either.

I agree with the other people. I mud a lot and if I'm frame deep in mud and not moving its 4x time, one time I basically do 4x from leaving pavement on sand because typically if u stop I. Sand ur screwed, and I don't crawl(yet) so I couldn't tell u either way on. I do these challenges this way mainly for maneuverability, because ur turning raidius is cut pretty significantly when 4 wheel drive is engaged. Hope this helps

My $.02

I'm going out for the first time with the Desert Wranglers tomorrow here in Las Vegas. We will be going over Wheeler Pass. I know I'm a beginner, I am trying to be an informed beginner. Thank you both for clarifying.

Will

I always went by the slip rule, if it feels like I'm occasionally losing traction I'll slip it into 4-hi since that can be done on the fly, also where you need to maintain speed like sand, mud, or winter conditions where you can use it for long periods of time. You don't want to use 4-hi on dry pavement, it needs some slippage. Most flat dirt roads 2wd is more than enough.

4-Lo for slow and steady crawling - not recommended over 20 or 25 mph or for long periods of time and not on dry pavement. slow and steady is in reference to crawling over obstacles where 4-hi doesn't provide enough torque, rock crawling etc..but always into 4-lo before or if i'm already into a situation and I feel I need it, I do it where I can come to a stop (keep your foot on the brakes), put it in neutral, shift to 4-lo then continue. It's also good for steep downhill speed control (steep loose dirt, gravel roads where there is some slippage), the lower range will help slow you down and you won't have to work your brakes so hard. Again, never on dry pavement or flat surfaces where you are traveling any distance, even though it's stated up to 20-25mph, I always come out of 4-Lo as soon as I'm done with the obstacle - complete stop, always in neutral 1st then shift in or out of 4-Lo, others may do it differently but I've never experienced any lockups or other issues.

I'm not familiar with the area you're going to but hopefully someone here is and will chime in.

Read your manual, it has good tips. Have fun!

I did read the manual and thought that what it described was the rule of thumb. Then I started to hear others talk about what they do when they go off pavement. Thank you for sharing your knowledge and experience with me.

Will

Here in Carolina we have a lot of loose sand so I almost always slug it into 4w hi when I hit the trail.

The key is anticipation. If you wait till you need 4wd it's too late.

Until your spidie scene gets tuned in from experience throw it into 4hi if its something you would feel nervous driving a street car on, put it in 4lo if you have to crawl over something.

Here in Carolina we have a lot of loose sand so I almost always slug it into 4w hi when I hit the trail.

The key is anticipation. If you wait till you need 4wd it's too late.

Until your spidie scene gets tuned in from experience throw it into 4hi if its something you would feel nervous driving a street car on, put it in 4lo if you have to crawl over something.

yes - in sand and mud you want to anticipate and be in 4HI before you get into it - momentum and speed get you through sand and mud

Top Bottom