question for those with short wives/girlfriends/children

2 door nightmare

grab handles are your best choice, getting into the rear seat on a 2DR is just a dream, it aint possible:naw:
I thought I would try these new bars that bolt to the front A pillar and charge it to R and D

I've thought of doing the same thing. How much lower is the step though? In the pic, it doesn't look like much.

you'd be surprised how much difference a little drop makes even though it does not look that low. you'll still want grab handles. since installing the rockhard sport cage I've had several comments on much easier it is to grab and use versus the upper roll bar handles.

To the OP, I've tried the stirrup's, you definitely want to make sure they are adjusted properly and there is something to hang onto as they tend to want to swing under the jeep and can get you off balance real quick IMO not a good idea for a pregnant wife or too short a wife with no balance...ask me how I know :doh: get used to helping her in, you'll be doing it from here on with helping the kid(s) until they get old enough lol

I currently have the smittybilt src's (only thing quickly available when I had to replace the stirrup) and still carry a folding plastic step stool (ACE hardware carries black) just in case, it holds my weight and I've had to use it a few times for my shorter passengers. i'll be installing the LOD's cause they do give a bit more clearance, not sure how high it'll raise the step.

http://youtu.be/3FVUPt4yz7E

I have these on my jeep. Running a 6.5 in lift with 37's. I'm 6'3" and I don't really use them. I like hopping lol. But my wife is 5'8" so it's prolly not as difficult for her to get in as for your wife, but since putting on the lift she absolutely loves them. You can remove the latch on them so that the steps are in the up position at all times, go down when stepped on, and then once you step off they automatically go back up. They bolt to the tub so I wouldn't try any hardcore wheeling where you're going to be laying or dropping your rockers on rocks. But for every day driving and light trail use I think they work amazing. Price tag isn't too bad either IMO, considering the amount of use you can get out of them, especially once the little ones get older.

I've thought of doing the same thing. How much lower is the step though? In the pic, it doesn't look like much.

It's a few inches lower than the door sill. It's a huge help for the kids at the read doors. My wife uses the grab handle and the step to get in. Best slider/step IMHO.

Have you had any issues with smaller children stepping through the sliders at all? I am currently planning on these for my new build, but I'm afraid the kids could slip and have their feet/legs go 'through' the bars on the sliders.

Kids don't have any issues they've developed their own system of what/where to grab, step and pull themselves in. Even on inclines. :yup:

Have you had any issues with smaller children stepping through the sliders at all? I am currently planning on these for my new build, but I'm afraid the kids could slip and have their feet/legs go 'through' the bars on the sliders.

It's a few inches lower than the door sill. It's a huge help for the kids at the read doors. My wife uses the grab handle and the step to get in. Best slider/step IMHO.

Kids don't have any issues they've developed their own system of what/where to grab, step and pull themselves in. Even on inclines. :yup:

I too have the angled EVO sliders. Kids, wife and I all use them. Great step with this set up.

As for kids slipping through, where they end at the rear door is basically like a little platform where the EVO logo is. When first installed I just told them to be careful. Watched/helped them when they were in flip flops. Now, they've mastered on their own. Like Frank said, they also figured out their own little grab handles and best ways to get in and usually just jump out.

The folding step stool also isn't a bad idea if you need that extra height.

http://youtu.be/3FVUPt4yz7E

I have these on my jeep. Running a 6.5 in lift with 37's. I'm 6'3" and I don't really use them. I like hopping lol. But my wife is 5'8" so it's prolly not as difficult for her to get in as for your wife, but since putting on the lift she absolutely loves them. You can remove the latch on them so that the steps are in the up position at all times, go down when stepped on, and then once you step off they automatically go back up. They bolt to the tub so I wouldn't try any hardcore wheeling where you're going to be laying or dropping your rockers on rocks. But for every day driving and light trail use I think they work amazing. Price tag isn't too bad either IMO, considering the amount of use you can get out of them, especially once the little ones get older.

Those look really nice, except for the fact they are tub mounted. If they were true rock rails I would be all for it.

This is what we did for the wife's Jeep. Grab handles and the door frame to grab onto when using the stirup,,, Don't laugh,,,,

View attachment 200968

Nobody's laughing around here. It's one of the best and nicely done ideas I've seen lately.:thumb::thumb: and a snap!

It looks from the posting that this is something you made - and is attached to the Jeep. I was looking for something like this that is removable and ran across a purpose made device that is called a Cowboy Stirrup Step that hooks on the bottom of the door frame, is made out of strong strapping, has a sturdy stirrup and a plastic covered metal hook. My wife tells me that it is easier to get in with this device (35s/3.5" lift) than it was with no lift and 32s (stock Rubicon). After she uses it, she just pulls it in and it sits unobtrusively at her feet. Costs about $45.

I too have the angled EVO sliders. Kids, wife and I all use them. Great step with this set up.

As for kids slipping through, where they end at the rear door is basically like a little platform where the EVO logo is. When first installed I just told them to be careful. Watched/helped them when they were in flip flops. Now, they've mastered on their own. Like Frank said, they also figured out their own little grab handles and best ways to get in and usually just jump out.

The folding step stool also isn't a bad idea if you need that extra height.

Awesome, thanks for clarifying gents. I loved my last EVO sliders but wanted this build to be a little more family friendly, hence some sort of step. I'll be doing the EVO low angle sliders on my this rig.

How do the low angle sliders effect access to the nutserts? Compared to if you had standard evo sliders i mean...

They allow easy access. We installed Drew's skins AFTER his low angle sliders were installed. Went on fairly easily.

Top Bottom