PSC SK284 - BIG BORE XD2 Overlander Kit

wjtstudios

Hooked
Always build to go beyond where you think you want to end up. My mistake was buying 1310 drive shafts. Should have gotten 1350's from the get go...haha.

Sent from my SM-G973U using WAYALIFE mobile app

Yup, did that with everything and had to replace it. Tires, wheels, axles, suspension.... everything just keeps getting bigger

The never ending rabbit hole [emoji106]

2015 JKUR AEV JK350
1985 CJ8 Scrambler

I ran it that way for years. Definitely a big improvement over stock. You can always add the pump, cooler, and ram at a later point.

The ported box has two added ports that are on the bottom of the gear for the ram otherwise they are the same. They come capped do you can add the ram later.

2015 JKUR AEV JK350
1985 CJ8 Scrambler

Perfect, thank you, sir.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE

jdofmemi

Side tangent here...I’ve been re reading this big bore related thread as well:

https://wayalife.com/showthread.php/60646-Considering-a-Big-Bore-Box-Some-Questions

I want to buy the ported big bore box and the pitman arm. That’s all I can afford at the moment. Anybody run this without the upgraded pump or cooling lines for any significant amount of time without issue. I’ll be on 35s for at least another year.

Bonus question: what does the ported vs Non-ported look like? Is it just a few extra drilled and tapped holes? Seems like a big price difference .

I echo what wjt says.

I have run the ported box for nearly a year, and have run 8 Moab trails, 4 in Colorado, Dusy Ershim, and all the Big Bear trails with it, plus others I'm forgetting.
Stock pump, no cooler, and a huge difference in performance. I'm also running the 2.5 ton drag link and tie rod, so no worries about overpowering them like the stock parts.

I also like having the ability to add a ram when I decide to go bigger.

To my thinking, you are on the right track, with one exception. Be sure to add a quality drag link, the stock won't hold up to the added power of the big bore.

treys1

I echo what wjt says.

I have run the ported box for nearly a year, and have run 8 Moab trails, 4 in Colorado, Dusy Ershim, and all the Big Bear trails with it, plus others I'm forgetting.
Stock pump, no cooler, and a huge difference in performance. I'm also running the 2.5 ton drag link and tie rod, so no worries about overpowering them like the stock parts.

To my thinking, you are on the right track, with one exception. Be sure to add a quality drag link, the stock won't hold up to the added power of the big bore.

So your comment has me thinking that the extra cost of the ported version may not even be needed if one plans to stay on 37s and is mainly looking to beef up the sector shaft. You could always go to the PSC pump if you needed a little more. Thoughts on if you feel like you'll upgrade the pump or go to a ram in the future after using just the box?

Last edited:

cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door
So your comment has me thinking that the extra cost of the ported version may not even be needed if one plans to stay on 37s and is mainly looking to beef up the sector shaft. You could always go to the PSC pump if you needed a little more. Thoughts on if you feel like you'll upgrade the pump or go to a ram in the future after using just the box?

I just purchased the big bore without being ported. I have yet to install it but I will give you my two cents on why I went without the ported box.

I personally have no plans on going larger than 37’s. The stock box has done wel for me over the years in the rocks and on the street. I felt that the ram route was going overboard for me and not needed. The benefits of the larger sector shaft and more fluid volume will help the steering big time over the stock box. I daily drive my Jeep and didn’t want to sacrifice the drivability of the Jeep. If needed I do plan on adding the psc pump for increased volume but I doubt I will need it.

treys1

I just purchased the big bore without being ported. I have yet to install it but I will give you my two cents on why I went without the ported box.

I personally have no plans on going larger than 37’s. The stock box has done wel for me over the years in the rocks and on the street. I felt that the ram route was going overboard for me and not needed. The benefits of the larger sector shaft and more fluid volume will help the steering big time over the stock box. I daily drive my Jeep and didn’t want to sacrifice the drivability of the Jeep. If needed I do plan on adding the psc pump for increased volume but I doubt I will need it.

Hey, thanks for the input!

RockinAZJK

Caught the Bug
Did you install it yourself? Easy job?

The box and pump are pretty straightforward. I wish I had thought of the strap trick, even with a buddy helping. That box is a heavy SOB

As stated the cooler doesn’t really have any instructions, and they give you a bunch of fittings, not just what you need so that’s confusing. And if you do the kit with all the hoses you should pull the old hardline out before you install the other hoses. I thought I needed it still until most of my other parts were in and I still have enough hose left for that haha

I echo what wjt says.

Nice, thanks for the experience. And yea I smashed my stock steering stabilizer on a rock, removed it and finished the trail without it. By the end of the trail, I had bent my tie rod as well. Replaced the tie rod with Synergy. Not too long after, bent my stock drag link just from turning in rocks. Replaced with Exodus and 1 ton ends.

I figure if I bent my tie rod and drag link by turning my steering wheel, my sector shaft is next!

I also snapped the head off of a SnapOn impact tool at work the other day, so not a good omen there...

IMG_2290.jpg

May be a pattern here...[emoji23]

MericaMade

The box and pump are pretty straightforward. I wish I had thought of the strap trick, even with a buddy helping. That box is a heavy SOB

As stated the cooler doesn’t really have any instructions, and they give you a bunch of fittings, not just what you need so that’s confusing. And if you do the kit with all the hoses you should pull the old hardline out before you install the other hoses. I thought I needed it still until most of my other parts were in and I still have enough hose left for that haha

Yeah, I spent time cutting the splice line only to find out once you put the cooler in that whole line comes out. Had me perplexed for a little bit.

tjeeper

The part number is SG688R, it is ported. I posted the link in my previous post. I can send pics to anyone who is interested.

tjeeper

I've gotten several PMs about the box. I feel like I have derailed the thread, and that wasn't my intent. I am asking $1000. I would really like to sell it locally as it is going to be expensive to ship. If I can't find a local buyer, then I will post it in the for sale column and whomever responds first can have it. I am currently in Las Vegas for a couple more weeks, then I'll be heading home to Utah.

Attachments

• IMG_5748.jpg
    IMG_5748.jpg
    144.3 KB · Views: 75
  • IMG_5747.jpg
    IMG_5747.jpg
    96.7 KB · Views: 76

tjeeper

I haven't had any local interest. If anyone is interested in paying shipping, you can calculate the price. The box weighs 55lbs. The dimensions are are 19"x10"x14". The shipping zip code is 89118.

Top Bottom