PSC Big Bore Box Flex? Keep breaking bolts...

jpkjeep

Caught the Bug
The JL is on a relatively fresh build (finished in October.) Since then I have had constant issues trying to keep the steering box attached to the frame. Ever since the first trail, I noticed the bolts were backing out. I liberally applied loctite thinking that would rectify the issue. I have now broken two 10.9 bolts.

My only logical conclusion at this point is the box/frame is flexing and causing these issues. My new plan is to get a Synergy Sector shaft/trackbar brace and see if that gets me anywhere. Granted I am running 42's and have about 30 trail runs on 8-9 rated Sand Hollow trails, but there must be a solution.

Anyone experienced this or have any advise for a fix?
322185124_1585285935274134_3347739857708056996_n.jpg

The JL is on a relatively fresh build (finished in October.) Since then I have had constant issues trying to keep the steering box attached to the frame. Ever since the first trail, I noticed the bolts were backing out. I liberally applied loctite thinking that would rectify the issue. I have now broken two 10.9 bolts.

My only logical conclusion at this point is the box/frame is flexing and causing these issues. My new plan is to get a Synergy Sector shaft/trackbar brace and see if that gets me anywhere. Granted I am running 42's and have about 30 trail runs on 8-9 rated Sand Hollow trails, but there must be a solution.

Anyone experienced this or have any advise for a fix?
View attachment 383545
Man, this is definitely odd. Any chance you think the threads in the box are bad or damaged? Looks like you are also using a ram assist so that should really help take some stress off the box preventing any kind of flexing. Nice looking JL 👍🏼

jpkjeep

Caught the Bug
Man, this is definitely odd. Any chance you think the threads in the box are bad or damaged? Looks like you are also using a ram assist so that should really help take some stress off the box preventing any kind of flexing. Nice looking JL 👍🏼
The first time it happened, I also noticed the two bolts closest to the bumper were way too long. I added quite a few spacers. Maybe that made them weaker? I have the synergy bracket and hardware kit on the way so bolt length should not be an issue anymore.

The threads could be damaged. The bolts I pulled were pretty messed up. It's worth a careful look on the box threads for sure.

Thanks! I am loving the Jeep and it has been an absolute beast on the trails. Chasing little stuff to get it 100% dialed but it's getting close.

The first time it happened, I also noticed the two bolts closest to the bumper were way too long. I added quite a few spacers. Maybe that made them weaker? I have the synergy bracket and hardware kit on the way so bolt length should not be an issue anymore.

The threads could be damaged. The bolts I pulled were pretty messed up. It's worth a careful look on the box threads for sure.

Thanks! I am loving the Jeep and it has been an absolute beast on the trails. Chasing little stuff to get it 100% dialed but it's getting close.
Compared to say a JK, the JL steering gear bolts go all the way through and are definitely longer. I’d make sure they are engaging the threads all the way through and even out the back side a bit. Too many spacers could be a contributing factor.

I would definitely give the threads inside a good look as they could be damaged if the bolts themselves were messed up.

jpkjeep

Caught the Bug
Compared to say a JK, the JL steering gear bolts go all the way through and are definitely longer. I’d make sure they are engaging the threads all the way through and even out the back side a bit. Too many spacers could be a contributing factor.

I would definitely give the threads inside a good look as they could be damaged if the bolts themselves were messed up.

Thanks for the input! I will report back when I get the new bracket and hardware. Hopefully before this weekend 🤞

jeeeep

Hooked

This^^

If the threads on the inside need to be chased / re-tapped, get a cobalt steel tap in case they are hardened like the threads on the roll cage.

proper size of course

jpkjeep

Caught the Bug
This^^

If the threads on the inside need to be chased / re-tapped, get a cobalt steel tap in case they are hardened like the threads on the roll cage.

proper size of course
That's definitely worth doing since the box already has to be dropped. I'm hopeful this will finally solve this issue.

kevman65

Hooked
If you still have the damaged bolts, take pictures of the threads and post up please.

To utilize full strength of bolts/nuts, you have to have a minimum of full thread engagement on the nut (female thread) end.
The front two bolts ARE exceptionally long, but they go all the way through the steering pump base. You shouldn't be using any spacers on any of these bolts.

If the threads on the pump are boogered bad, tapping them to clean them up may not do any good. I have the feeling they have been cross threaded.

CalSgt

Hooked
This^^

proper size of course
I thought the JL & JT boxes were aluminum...

They should make bank vaults out of the steel in the roll cages though, I busted a dozen drill bits on 6 holes.

JimLee

Hooked

They should make bank vaults out of the steel in the roll cages though, I busted a dozen drill bits on 6 holes.
They switched to an iron box sometime in late 2020 or early 2021 if I remember correctly. The iron boxes are black, the aluminum are silver. I just recently discovered that the front fender supports (the braces not the tabs) are hardened steel as well and a MF to drill through.

jpkjeep

Caught the Bug
If you still have the damaged bolts, take pictures of the threads and post up please.

To utilize full strength of bolts/nuts, you have to have a minimum of full thread engagement on the nut (female thread) end.
The front two bolts ARE exceptionally long, but they go all the way through the steering pump base. You shouldn't be using any spacers on any of these bolts.

If the threads on the pump are boogered bad, tapping them to clean them up may not do any good. I have the feeling they have been cross threaded.
I would hope they are not cross threaded. A very reputable shop did the install.

jpkjeep

Caught the Bug

The stock box is long gone. This is the PSC Big Bore.

Top Bottom