Pros and cons to genright tire carrier?

Christarp

awesome, thanks for the feedback guys! From what it sounds like it's a pretty rattle free carrier. Hopefully Rooster can figure out how to keep his bottom pin from rattling though, just hope I don't run into the same issue.

IBeHeWhoIsJoshua

Do you guys think the genright would stand up to high speeds in the sand? That's most of what my wheeling is, with a few trail runs up in the mountains, but for the most part I'm on the dunes going as fast as I feel comfortable with stock axles.

That's how they test all their stuff....I would say it'd be fine for that. It's landing on rocks that I am unsure of. They keep trying to assure me though haha

Holeshot

Banned
Do you guys think the genright would stand up to high speeds in the sand? That's most of what my wheeling is, with a few trail runs up in the mountains, but for the most part I'm on the dunes going as fast as I feel comfortable with stock axles.

yeah Im pretty sure it can handle that.

Having a bumper with the 35" makes a big difference in the appearance!

sure is! the only way it looks nice w/o bumper is with a 40+ tire mounted.

JKU EXTREME

awesome, thanks for the feedback guys! From what it sounds like it's a pretty rattle free carrier. Hopefully Rooster can figure out how to keep his bottom pin from rattling though, just hope I don't run into the same issue.

Don't forget, jeeps were built with integrity, ingenuity and duct tape

rinkishjk

I have the steel genright carrier and love it.....but my pins do rattle. Well atleast my bottom pin does.... The top one is tight while the bottom one is loose....any fixes?

U can remove the metal sleeves on the bushings for the pins and that should help. U could also find a o ring that fits the pins so when the pins are in they sit on the other ring.. My steel genright carrier has been quiet and would definitely recommend it.

VADER JK

I have heard that when installing the genright carrier, if you line up and put on the left mount while no tire is on the carrier then when you do get the tire on it will droop a little and make it more snug with less chance of rattle. Hope that makes sense. I'm on the same page as OP so curious to hear any input as well.

hinrichs

Caught the Bug
No rattles here, carrier is solid. I would bet the guy having the pin rattle is using the one that comes with the carrier. My pins were missing so I went out and got some replacements from tractor supply which wont rattle due to design.

Rooster jk

U can remove the metal sleeves on the bushings for the pins and that should help. U could also find a o ring that fits the pins so when the pins are in they sit on the other ring.. My steel genright carrier has been quiet and would definitely recommend it.

i will try this thanks

HDGasser

Love my genright tire carrier, mine is aluminum. And no rattles here at all!

Looks beautiful with a 37 and a genright bumper.

StrizzyChris

well to be honest it's more than aesthetics. Price is my biggest concern, good to hear that the genright seems to be completely rattle free!

just to update this thread and clarify for anyone curious about the rattling of the carrier...The Genright carrier has large rubber busshings that sqeeze to fit into the bracket for the pin. This is rubber on metal and VERY snug so when its closed there's absolutely not a single rattle/jitter/peep out of this carrier! I would recommend it, and do to EVERYONE!

Christarp

Oh hey, this thread! Just wanted to let y'all know that I ended up going with the EVO Tire carrier (which by the way I think looks fine with 35's as long as I keep my bumper on), circumstances led a bit of extra cash and I really liked the evo! I'm glad the genright is working great for everyone though and it looks like a solid carrier.

StrizzyChris

You won't be sorry that you did! If I had the spare cash in my Jeep fund, that's the route I would have went. The skins and carrier are just sexy! I went GenRight due to the cost savings and material quality. Post up some pics of your ride! :thumb:

Christarp

Well I don't have a dedicated build thread but here's how it sits right now!

jeep.jpg
jeep2.jpg

The "third brake light" is just something I made out of some scrap steel, and the holes are a bit off but whatever. It's a combination third brake light / reverse light indicators / license plate light and I wanted to include a decent sized mounting surface on top for a rigid dually or two eventually.

Real happy with how everything turned out!

Well I don't have a dedicated build thread but here's how it sits right now!

View attachment 82720
View attachment 82721

The "third brake light" is just something I made out of some scrap steel, and the holes are a bit off but whatever. It's a combination third brake light / reverse light indicators / license plate light and I wanted to include a decent sized mounting surface on top for a rigid dually or two eventually.

Real happy with how everything turned out!

Looking good! Ditch the rear bumper though. I'm running 35's on my evo carrier and no bumper. It looks fine

StrizzyChris

I personally think the 35's look better with a bumper. ID probably paint or plastidip the center back, but I think it looks great as is :thumb:

Top Bottom