Project Unknown a Canadian build!

Jeep_Will

This I the beginning of what is sure to be one of the longest builds in forum history. I purchased my 2 door sport wrangler new in May of 2014 and have spent the last year waiting to start this thread. I can assure you this is going to be a long one...

Okay, so I'll start at the beginning the first thing I had to do was get rid of those depressing factory tires and get some better rubber under me for these Canadian winters. ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1434082466.582506.jpg

After the 265/75/16 wrangler duratracs I decided to get some G2 wheel spacers because I wanted some stance even with my factory rims and narrow tires. ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1434082560.045754.jpg

So here we are almost 9 months in and the only things I've done are tires and spacers. So fast forward to April snows gone but rims aren't in the budget yet and I don't want to stick with 16s because I know these aren't the tires I'm going to run anyway. I'd like to get 37s with 17 inch rims. So a last minute decision to remedy my want for new rims came the idea to paint my factory wheels black. By no means do I boast to be a painter of any sort but I'm quite pleased with the outcome of my "new rims" ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1434082824.846272.jpg
ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1434082840.886815.jpg
ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1434082861.703066.jpg
ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1434082897.795432.jpg
ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1434082918.198300.jpg

Now as the last photo gives away I did decide to hop on the LED bandwagon and I bought myself a set of rigid industries cubes and pillar mounts. Likely the most effective and useful mod to date! ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1434083009.539935.jpg

As a write this I'm waiting on my new banks monster S/S exhaust system which I will post some photos of on arrival with a short review for anyone interested in the product.

I'm looking for advice or opinions on if I can run my stock axles with 37s or not, I do a moderate amount of wheeling which mostly consists of mud and water crossings, almost zero crawling or rocks in general. Shock upgrade will be a must but if I go with flat fenders can I get by with just a levelling kit and squeeze my 37s in? Thanks in advance to anyone who has any advice or comments.

I'm looking for advice or opinions on if I can run my stock axles with 37s or not, I do a moderate amount of wheeling which mostly consists of mud and water crossings, almost zero crawling or rocks in general. Shock upgrade will be a must but if I go with flat fenders can I get by with just a levelling kit and squeeze my 37s in? Thanks in advance to anyone who has any advice or comments.

Your biggest problem will be the Dana 30 front axle. There are a number of threads discussing if it can take a 37" tire, but the general consensus is that the axle will be just too weak for it, and you even need to be careful with 37s on a Rubicon Dana 44 front axle so you don't bend the weak Cs or bend the axle tubes. There are some that say it can be fixed by trussing and sleving the axle, but anything more than gusseting the Cs just isn't worth the money you could have used to a better axle and they can even cause other problems. Also, the highest you should regear a Dana 30 to is 4.88 (which might be fine for 37s, it all depends on your preference, how you wheel and if you ever need to tow anything), but once you go 5.13 or larger the pinion is just too weak and prone to breaking. I'd say don't go over 35s unless you can get a ProRock 44 or other aftermarket front axle, but maybe 33s would be a better bet (someone else might be able to give you a better idea). That said, there's lots of people on here still running the stock rear with 37s, so it should be fine.

By the way, congrats on starting your build!

Your biggest problem will be the Dana 30 front axle. There are a number of threads discussing if it can take a 37" tire, but the general consensus is that the axle will be just too weak for it, and you even need to be careful with 37s on a Rubicon Dana 44 front axle so you don't bend the weak Cs or bend the axle tubes. There are some that say it can be fixed by trussing and sleving the axle, but anything more than gusseting the Cs just isn't worth the money you could have used to a better axle and they can even cause other problems. Also, the highest you should regear a Dana 30 to is 4.88 (which might be fine for 37s, it all depends on your preference, how you wheel and if you ever need to tow anything), but once you go 5.13 or larger the pinion is just too weak and prone to breaking. I'd say don't go over 35s unless you can get a ProRock 44 or other aftermarket front axle, but maybe 33s would be a better bet (someone else might be able to give you a better idea). That said, there's lots of people on here still running the stock rear with 37s, so it should be fine.

By the way, congrats on starting your build!

Thanks for the input, looks like I will have to run 35s until I can afford new axles then.

Thanks for the input, looks like I will have to run 35s until I can afford new axles then.

I wrecked my D30 with 35's. If you watch some of the Wayalfie videos you can see the guys with 35's do everything the others do with a bit more winching. Plus you have a much better brakeover angle than us 4door guys!

I wrecked my D30 with 35's. If you watch some of the Wayalfie videos you can see the guys with 35's do everything the others do with a bit more winching. Plus you have a much better brakeover angle than us 4door guys!

Okay so to ask basically the same question, 35s levelling kit and flat fenders, am I going to be rubbing all the time?
Thanks, the feedback has been great!

With flat fenders you should not rub. But you will rub the front splash guard that attaches to the crash bar. If you don't change the backspacing you may rub some suspension components at full lock. Lfit and install the tires then cycle the suspension to check.

Okay so to ask basically the same question, 35s levelling kit and flat fenders, am I going to be rubbing all the time?
Thanks, the feedback has been great!

May need small bump stops. Shop for a kit that is complete with them and other components.

With flat fenders you should not rub. But you will rub the front splash guard that attaches to the crash bar. If you don't change the backspacing you may rub some suspension components at full lock. Lfit and install the tires then cycle the suspension to check.

Are you referring to the factory wind guard? If so that was removed gently by a submerged stump on the trail, as of now it's MIA and presumed dead. ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1434122900.329360.jpg

As long as you have wheel spacers or aftermarket wheels with the correct backspacing, you shouldn't have any issues running 35s with a small lift and flat fenders.

My suggestion would be to pick up a set of 4dr Rubicon springs, a leveling kit and trim your fenders. I had the 4dr springs on my 2dr with 285/75r16s with stock fenders and only had minor fender rub at full flex. My plan was going to be throwing on a set of leveling spacers and trim the fenders to run 35s.

As long as you have wheel spacers or aftermarket wheels with the correct backspacing, you shouldn't have any issues running 35s with a small lift and flat fenders.

My suggestion would be to pick up a set of 4dr Rubicon springs, a leveling kit and trim your fenders. I had the 4dr springs on my 2dr with 285/75r16s with stock fenders and only had minor fender rub at full flex. My plan was going to be throwing on a set of leveling spacers and trim the fenders to run 35s.

I've heard of guys doing that but I'm having trouble getting my hands on rubicon unlimited springs and shocks. If anyone has any suggestions they would be greatly appreciated. Thanks guys never dreamed I'd have this much help on such a low key build.

What's was the most effective mod you guys have done to your jeeps? Also I'd love to see some of your builds if you want to shoot some photos up on here!

I've heard of guys doing that but I'm having trouble getting my hands on rubicon unlimited springs and shocks. If anyone has any suggestions they would be greatly appreciated. Thanks guys never dreamed I'd have this much help on such a low key build.

What's was the most effective mod you guys have done to your jeeps? Also I'd love to see some of your builds if you want to shoot some photos up on here!

Craigslist, there are many in my area for cheap.

The paint on the rims came out great by the way. Changed the whole look of your jeep.

As mentioned, Craigslist is probably your best bet, or call a local 4x4 shop.

The springs were one of the first things I did and it made a huge difference. As far as builds, feel free to check mine out. If you have any questions, I'll be happy to do my best to help.

http://wayalife.com/showthread.php?t=19193

As mentioned, Craigslist is probably your best bet, or call a local 4x4 shop.

The springs were one of the first things I did and it made a huge difference. As far as builds, feel free to check mine out. If you have any questions, I'll be happy to do my best to help.

http://wayalife.com/showthread.php?t=19193

Unfortunately Craigslist won't help me up here in Canada, going to check out eBay tonight when I get home, as well as ask the dealership when I'm getting my oilchanged today.

I've noticed a new sound coming from what seems to be the transmission if I get it up to operating temp and put it in neutral with the clutch out I can here what sounds like a grinding and other nasty noises but as soon as I push the clutch in it goes away... Ideas?

Unfortunately Craigslist won't help me up here in Canada, going to check out eBay tonight when I get home, as well as ask the dealership when I'm getting my oilchanged today.

I've noticed a new sound coming from what seems to be the transmission if I get it up to operating temp and put it in neutral with the clutch out I can here what sounds like a grinding and other nasty noises but as soon as I push the clutch in it goes away... Ideas?

Sounds like either the throw out bearing or the clutch itself. I don't have much experience with the JK manuals so maybe someone else will speak up. But typically if you have a noise while not having the pedal pushed in and it goes away when you step on the pedal, it's going to have something to do with the throw out or simply the clutch itself.

Sounds like either the throw out bearing or the clutch itself. I don't have much experience with the JK manuals so maybe someone else will speak up. But typically if you have a noise while not having the pedal pushed in and it goes away when you step on the pedal, it's going to have something to do with the throw out or simply the clutch itself.

Throw out bearing is exactly what a few mechanic buddies of mine said aswell but your clutch comment has me thinking because I've noticed a complete change in how it acts, it's been stalling the a lot lately. No it's not my first manual I'm 19 but I've owned 3 trucks and they have all been manual never owned an auto. It feels like the clutch is all the way at the top, is there anyway to have this adjusted?

Alright, banks monster exhaust is installed took just under an hour. Over all the install was a breeze everything fit just right, the most challenging part of the install is cutting the section which goes over the axle; I would recommend cutting well above the 10.5 inch mark and trimming level afterwards. The sound is great, just what I was looking for, nice and deep but not much louder than stock. I chose the system with the black tip and it looks great. I would absolutely recommend this system to anyone with a daily that's looking for something that can turn heads.

Top Bottom