Project "Thanos" Build

DWiggles

Caught the Bug
Been a hectic new year so far, but a quick update that I officially have one of the new Dynatrac XD60s on order :)
View attachment 187361
:shock: :clap2: That is going to be AWESOME under Thanos! Congrats on the purchase

I also picked up one of these little guys from Drake but haven't decided where to mount it yet:
View attachment 187363

Funny, I was actually looking at this Drake mount for my rear roll bar just the other day! Was going to wait until I found a reliable review/opinion on it... :thumb:

iRonin

I hope you lose, cause I wanna win! LOL.

Jeeps lookin good.

Thanks! Unfortunately neither of us won, but it's all good!

Btw I know you said you planned on swapping your axles into your wife's jeep. But if you change your mind dibs on the pr44! [emoji16][emoji16][emoji16]

lol we'll see; it could just as well be that she doesn't want it!

:shock: :clap2: That is going to be AWESOME under Thanos! Congrats on the purchase

I received word this weekend that it will be here on Wednesday... I'm so stoked. I may do a time-lapse of the swap. I'm also curious if it's one of the first coming into TX :) (doubt it, I'm sure there were folks that pulled the trigger the instant it was announced lol)

iRonin

Phase 3 - Rear Axle

Dynatrac ProRock XD60 Rear
March, 2016

Whelp, it arrived today as advertised. FedEx Freight dropped off the crate @ the shop and we soon had Thanos on the rack for the swap.

ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1457595806.573836.jpg ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1457595815.823726.jpg

Unpacked I had to take a moment to drink in the fact that this was the cleanest I would ever see this axle again...
ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1457595908.948524.jpg

Started by getting the old stock 44 dropped out and away (the TEN Factory chomys will be swapped to my wife's JK)
ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1457595984.220671.jpg

We had to migrate the hub assembly over from the D44, which meant pulling shafts on both axles, so I snapped a couple comparison pics between the TEN and the Dynatrac.
ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1457596105.180283.jpg ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1457596114.379873.jpg

Here's the new XD60 mounted up - the bracket fitment was absolutely flawless.
ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1457596306.815879.jpg
ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1457596443.757005.jpg

I forgot to snap pics, but I ordered the axle with the 1350 yoke not thinking about the fact that it would make it completely incompatible with the stick rear driveshaft. Thankfully, the shop has an extra one from Adams and it measured out to be absolutely perfect. I'm hugely appreciative for that as I was not excited about the alternate prospect of driving 15mi home in front wheel drive.

The final task was filling the diff with oil, which was honestly slightly annoying as the top-fill hole recommended for ensuring the HP sump gets greased is passenger side facing, which puts it about 2-3 inches from the gas tank/skid.

So after rigging up a hose to route the oil into the upper fill hole, the installation was finally complete and I was ready for a test drive!
ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1457597090.038706.jpg

The drive was flawless. The only thing left to do is to run the ARB airline up to the engine bay, and wire up the rear locker switch and solenoid - all provided - but something I can do later in the garage.

Repurposing a pair of the magnetic Lux rock lights made for a smooth goodbye booty pic before heading home...
ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1457597357.625341.jpg

Now comes the dreaded break-in period where all I wanna do is wheel it!!! :p p

Last edited:

DWiggles

Caught the Bug
Whelp, it arrived today as advertised. FedEx Freight dropped off the crate @ the shop and we soon had Thanos on the rack for the swap.
View attachment 192133

Now comes the dreaded break-in period where all I wanna do is wheel it!!! :p p

WOW! SO awesome man! Looks killer, Drive killer, and its going to be stout as hell! :thumb: congrats man! :thumb: cant wait to read your thoughts on it after a little use!

iRonin

Congrats man!
That's awesome! Congrats!
Sweeeeeeeettttt!!!!!!Congrats man! :thumb::thumb::thumb:
Looks great dude. Now get out there and give it hell.
WOW! SO awesome man! Looks killer, Drive killer, and its going to be stout as hell! :thumb: congrats man! :thumb: cant wait to read your thoughts on it after a little use!
man that looks amazing! Congrats! I hope the axle is ready for Thanos [emoji14]

Thanks, y'all, the break-in can't happen fast enough - there are a few obstacles/trails I've had my eye on for a long while now that I've been too nervous to try with the stock rear (not to mention lack of locker). Can't wait to get out there! :driving:

I'd be a little pissed the shop left your calipers dangling like that. Hopefully your brake hoses are ok. Congrats on the new awesome axle though!

Weeeelllllll... "the shop" for 99% of this Jeep's build is me, so I accept full responsibility for all bad habits that may be portrayed in the install pics. :blush:

Assuming they are steel braided lines, no issue hanging them at all.
This is exactly why I don't personally mind hanging my own, but when I work on others I'm much more mindful :) we actually use the retainer wires that ship with new shocks as hangers, they work really well :)

iRonin

Axle Swap Timelapse

Threw together a quick timelapse vid of the swap. Pardon the mess; the shop we work out of is a temporary arrangement :)

Napalm

Threw together a quick timelapse vid of the swap. Pardon the mess; the shop we work out of is a temporary arrangement :)

AWESOME! So envious of the swap, can't wait to wheel with you sometime brother. I'll need you to pull me out of all the sticky stuff ;) haha

iRonin

AWESOME! So envious of the swap, can't wait to wheel with you sometime brother. I'll need you to pull me out of all the sticky stuff ;) haha

Yeah dude shame we couldn't wheel last year hopefully you'll be back out!

You made that look so easy!!!!!! :)

Well, I had several factors working in my favor... between it being the rear, having an extra set of hands to help, access to a lift, and the fact that Dynatrac ships the unit damn near ready to bolt on, it really was easy. I also opted to keep the 5x5 bolt pattern to match the front and keep my existing wheels, which helped. Thanks for taking the time to watch! :like:

iRonin

4D Texas Tactical Spiderweb Shade

Wednesday I upgraded the SpiderwebShade, which isn't much to mention, but it came with a cool situation and outcome, so I thought I'd share the story.

I had a basic black shade before; but it was the kind that only covered the front cabin, so it was handed off to the wife's 2 door.

As it goes, for the second year in a row, I was able to join Harvey and Sergio from SpiderwebShade as they passed through Texas on the way to Llano JJ and ultimately EJS Moab . They come into Austin and one of the local clubs here (Austin Jeep People) organizes a lunch/meet-greet with them.

Last year, we ate at a great BBQ place in town (Stile's Switch) and Tim Pellegeino was able to join us as well. This year it was just Harvey and Sergio, and we all met up at Taco Deli.

Knowing that they were coming, I really wanted to snag one of their custom shades featuring the tactical Texas Flag, so I worked it out to have it sent with on their journey.

Arriving at Taco Deli, it was great to see everyone again. They had MatteBlack parked out front for folks to check out:
ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1458509615.565878.jpg

After greeting Harvey, I'm given the shade and we all go in to eat and chat. After lunch, there was a raffle for the regularly colored flag shade, and we snapped pics:
ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1458509642.751918.jpg
ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1458509272.044609.jpg

As we broke from lunch, the plan was to head to one of the local jeep shops (Just Jeeps) and take a group photo with our rigs out front. I thought it would be good to have my shade on for the pic, so I unraveled it... only to realize I was given the wrong one (tactical grey, but no flag).

When we arrived I told Harvey about it, and luckily they had just grabbed the wrong one from the truck to bring to lunch- but they definitely brought it. So he offered to let me follow em back to the hotel to snag the right one. So we snapped our group photos and hung around for a while before leaving:
ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1458510815.847522.jpg
ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1458509907.618341.jpg

As we were leaving, they mentioned that they'd seen a cool spot on the way over that they wanted to take some pictures of with the MatteBlack. I didn't have anywhere I needed to be, so I was happy to follow them.

The spot they saw was the underside of the upper deck of 183 as it carves through part of Austin. Below the highway there's gravel, and the road above makes for a nice "long hallway" effect. So we snapped a bunch of pics:
ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1458510168.155827.jpg
ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1458510188.077189.jpg
ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1458510211.493461.jpg

It turned out, this location just so happened to also be *directly across* from the dealership where I purchased Thanos. (What are the odds?) I told them they had a big rock ramp/pile that they sometimes pose Jeeps on and that we'd be able to play around on it if they wanted. They were hesitant at first, understandably not wanting to piss anyone off, so I called the man who sold me my Jeep, and asked him if it would be ok. "Can we come watch?!" was the confirmation I received :)

So we swung over and started with a basic ramp shot:
ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1458510520.584336.jpg

Then switched to something a little more exciting:
ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1458510574.956008.jpg
ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1458510615.110778.jpg
ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1458510766.839174.jpg

There was a fun small crowd of customers and sales guys standing about taking pictures and videos, it was fun :) I even got to stretch Thanos' legs a bit even though that rear axle is still breaking in (worth the risk);
ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1458510734.685083.jpg
ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1458510746.705918.jpg

After we were done, I followed them back and was soon paired with my requested Texas shade-
ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1458510941.603701.jpg
ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1458510923.088134.jpg

I never thought getting handed the wrong product would result in such a cool opportunity! Those guys really are some of the nicest, chill dudes I've met for letting me tag along, and I love that my shade has a story to it that's much more memorable than finding it on my doorstep a few days after placing the order :) Very cool turn out on an already awesome day!

Last edited:
Top Bottom