Project ACCUAIR

JimLee

Hooked
Oh yeah, it's clearly not for everyone and while I like what I'm seeing and even feeling, I'd still prefer DTDs 😁
I might just be old and stogy, but living on the edge of DV I see anything rubber (left that open for you overlander, you're welcome) and think "how long before that dry rots and need to be replaced?"

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
I might just be old and stogy, but living on the edge of DV I see anything rubber (left that open for you overlander, you're welcome) and think "how long before that dry rots and need to be replaced?"
I hear ya. It's a big part of why I always garage all my Jeeps.

I don't know if it's that thick, but tire sidewalls start cracking at around 3-5 years out here. Quality tires a bit longer, cheap tires sometimes sooner.
If a tire sidewall blows, it is likely that you have a spare but with this air bag technology, there is no spare. Replacement parts are likely not readily available. However, any suspension component can fail. It is just a matter of how catastrophic the failure is and how easy it is to repair, or at least get back to the highway.

If an air bag spring blows, are the remaining 3 still completely usable or are they compromised somehow?

Great shots and write up Eddie! That is definitely more flex than I expected, looks pretty stuffed on 37s even at that ride height. While I won't get bags I do like seeing new innovations like these in action so thanks again for the coverage!

I do actually really like how that JT sits too. Still pondering between a JL or JT on 37s/38s for my next rig.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
I don't know if it's that thick, but tire sidewalls start cracking at around 3-5 years out here. Quality tires a bit longer, cheap tires sometimes sooner.
True, any idea on how often they have to be replaced?
As I had mentioned on the video thread, ACCUAIR says their air bags should last at least 100k. If one were to fail before such time, they would replace it for free. Nothing about these air pistons look or feel like tires.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
If a tire sidewall blows, it is likely that you have a spare but with this air bag technology, there is no spare. Replacement parts are likely not readily available. However, any suspension component can fail. It is just a matter of how catastrophic the failure is and how easy it is to repair, or at least get back to the highway.
LOL - if a coil spring breaks, there is no spare! And yes, I have broken a coil spring before and know of others who have as well.
If an air bag spring blows, are the remaining 3 still completely usable or are they compromised somehow?
As I already mentioned in the video thread, while it is unlikely, IF one were to fail, it would be like riding on your bump stop. Each air piston is controlled by individual solenoids.

I'm not trying to say that this ACCUAIR system is the next best thing since sliced bread but your imagination is running a bit on overdrive here. IF all the things your head is conjuring up can really happen, I intend to find out for myself and I can assure you that I will be sure to post up about them. (y)

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Great shots and write up Eddie! That is definitely more flex than I expected, looks pretty stuffed on 37s even at that ride height. While I won't get bags I do like seeing new innovations like these in action so thanks again for the coverage!
We were seeing enough stuff that the tires were rubbing the fenders. Way more than I was expecting without letting air out. Clearly, these aren't for everyone and glad to hear you like seeing them anyway.
I do actually really like how that JT sits too. Still pondering between a JL or JT on 37s/38s for my next rig.
Regardless of suspension system, the stance it has with 37's is really nice.

LOL - if a coil spring breaks, there is no spare! And yes, I have broken a coil spring before and know of others who have as well.

As I already mentioned in the video thread, while it is unlikely, IF one were to fail, it would be like riding on your bump stop. Each air piston is controlled by individual solenoids.

I'm not trying to say that this ACCUAIR system is the next best thing since sliced bread but your imagination is running a bit on overdrive here. IF all the things your head is conjuring up can really happen, I intend to find out for myself and I can assure you that I will be sure to post up about them. (y)
We are just trying to imagine all the possible failure scenarios in order to assist with your advanced testing! 🤣

kevman65

Hooked
So, is an entire air piston bolted down top and bottom? Have to alter the upper coil bucket or remove it?

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Just thought I would post an update. Unfortunately, Project ACCUAIR is still in the shop and if we're lucky, it'll be ready by the end of the week. Really sucks to have lost it for 2 weeks but what are ya gonna do.

In other news, I talked to ACCUAIR and was told that they took my suggestion about the sway bar links seriously and have redesigned them to be fixed links and with OE style joints. This should help eliminate the bolts coming loose and clunking and squeaking. I think that most people who go this route will have a Rubicon or just not need to disconnect and for those who do, there are tons of aftermarket options available that are better. Anyway, I should be getting the new links next week.

Top Bottom