Power Steering Loss on a Jeep Gladiator

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
I was driving down the highway today in the ACCUAIR Jeep Gladiator, just cruising at about 65-70 and as I got to the next town, I started to slow up as there was a slight curve in the road and noticed that my steering wheel felt like it was locked in place. Surprised by this, I used more force and found that it would turn only, it was really really heavy like I had no power steering. Anyway, I slowed up to pull into a parking lot and as soon as I got to about 35 MPH, the power steering came back to life. It was the craziest thing especially being that when all this was going on, there were no warning lights on the dash, no dings - no nothing.

Anyway, I pulled over, popped the hood and checked for power steering leaks and checked the fluid level and all was good. Assuming it was just a fluke, I closed up and went on about my day. About an hour later, same deal happened. I was just driving behind a really slow guy on the highway doing 45-50 MPH, stepped on the gas to pass and then just like that - no power steering! Again, no warning lights or anything and just like before, I went to pull over to see what was going on and as soon as I got down to about 35 MPH, the power steering started working again.

Has anyone else had this happen to them?

Last edited:

GP NOIR

Hooked
Yes, in my JK. It's how I knew it was time for a replacement (and upgraded) power steering pump. From what I understand, the electric power steering pump in JL/JT Jeeps is known for this, especially with larger tires.

benatc1

Hooked
Had this happen in our red JLU, was a few years ago, but Alex was driving, and if I recall correctly it had something to do with the aux battery, we were also having some start/stop issues then too. Really trying to jog my memory right now.

kevman65

Hooked
There have been various "patches" replacing AUX battery takes care of some, hard reboot takes care of some, early in 2020 they had a computer flash they tried and it helped some.

I don't know if they ever got to the root of it, but majority of cases were cured by replacing AUX battery.

JeepFan

Hooked
I had the same thing you describe happen on our 2018 JL. After the dealer replaced the aluminum steering gearbox with the steel gearbox and installed a software update, the problem never returned. My guess is the software update fixed it.

There are tons of reports online that a loose aux battery ground cable and/or a bad power steering pump can cause the problem. Your mileage may vary...

Time for PSC?

JT@623

Hooked
In guessing here but the wife’s 22 grand Cherokee has the electric power steering and dealership just did a recall update and flash.
I’d guess it’s a similar system if not the same. The shity part is we weren’t even aware of the recall.

cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door
Some electronic gears will have an over heat fail safe built into them to reduce steering assist if they get too hot and allow them to cool down. I assume the Jeep has this as well and maybe the reprogram of the steering module increases the heat limit to reduce this effect

LS JK

Our JL has done this a few times, I thought it was maybe our side causing it but after doing diagnosis on it I didnt find anything relating to us causing it. That was about a year ago and it hasn't done it since, but 2 weeks ago I was driving to California and the steering wheel would freeze mid turn for a few seconds. I would kind of turn the wheel side to side to get it to work again.

Last edited:

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Yes, in my JK. It's how I knew it was time for a replacement (and upgraded) power steering pump. From what I understand, the electric power steering pump in JL/JT Jeeps is known for this, especially with larger tires.
Hmm, I've racked up about 10k miles on this Jeep and I would have thought this steering problem would have shown it self a long time ago if that were the case. But thanks.
Had this happen in our red JLU, was a few years ago, but Alex was driving, and if I recall correctly it had something to do with the aux battery, we were also having some start/stop issues then too. Really trying to jog my memory right now.
There have been various "patches" replacing AUX battery takes care of some, hard reboot takes care of some, early in 2020 they had a computer flash they tried and it helped some.

I don't know if they ever got to the root of it, but majority of cases were cured by replacing AUX battery.
If it is the auxiliary battery, that just sucks especially being this is a 2022. If it is, there hasn't been any indicator of it on the EVIC.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
I had the same thing you describe happen on our 2018 JL. After the dealer replaced the aluminum steering gearbox with the steel gearbox and installed a software update, the problem never returned. My guess is the software update fixed it.

There are tons of reports online that a loose aux battery ground cable and/or a bad power steering pump can cause the problem. Your mileage may vary...

Time for PSC?
I'll definitely have to give the ground cable a look. As far as PSC goes, if it were my Jeep, maybe but it isn't so I'm hard pressed to do more than I need 😁
In guessing here but the wife’s 22 grand Cherokee has the electric power steering and dealership just did a recall update and flash.
I’d guess it’s a similar system if not the same. The shity part is we weren’t even aware of the recall.
Great…hopefully a software update fix (ugh)…
If it is a software thing, I guess I'm just gonna have to deal with it until we give this Jeep back to ACCUAIR. So far, it hasn't happened again so maybe we'll get lucky.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
The Accuair Wayalife repair receipt be like:

View attachment 388842
LOL - no kidding!
Some electronic gears will have an over heat fail safe built into them to reduce steering assist if they get too hot and allow them to cool down. I assume the Jeep has this as well and maybe the reprogram of the steering module increases the heat limit to reduce this effect
Our JL has done this a few times, I thought it was maybe our side causing it but after doing diagnosis on it I didnt find anything relating to us causing it. That was about a year ago and it hasn't done it since, but 2 weeks ago I was driving to California and the steering wheel would freeze mid turn for a few seconds. I would kind of turn the wheel side to side to get it to work again.
I gotta say, I really really hate all this electronic and computer shit on just about every component on these new Jeeps. So much to go wrong and no real way of knowing what caused it or how to fix it. :rolleyes:

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Was it cold out? I've read of some JL owners saying it happens more frequently to them in very cold weather.
I was cold but not like it's been for the better part of the winter. Maybe in the 30's but we driven this thing in single digit temps for weeks on end and without issue.

So what happens if this occurs while on a windy road and you have to make a turn in the opposite direction, do you just crash? 😳

Top Bottom