Power steering failure ???

So I just went out and tried to look at it again. My steering box seems to be leaking, I can feel a good amount of oil on top of the pitman arm. Im fairly confident this is the issue after talking to some people and looking at it, but Im no expert. I would change it myself if I had the necessary tools at school with me, and I also dont want to snap the bolts holding it to the frame, which I have watch other people do on other vehicles

While, yes that needs to be fixed, A leak alone won't cause the symptom you're talking about. Now there is a chance that something mechanical failed inside and took out the seal. If you can, grab ahold of the output shaft with a glove and see if you have any play there. Either way, nowadays, gear boxes are replaced and not rebuilt, so chances are you'll get a whole new gear box.

in my experience dealing with my PSC, a leak will cause the issue described. If you have a leak chances are it's also letting air to seep in which will affect your steering at low rpm.

I chased a similar issue and found a leak at the hose (couldn't see it on the black wrapped hose used), once I repaired the leak and bled the system it worked better.
raise the front axle of your jeep and remove the cap on your PS reservoir, with the key in the "ON" position and without starting the Jeep, slowly turn your wheel full lock to lock at least 10 times and let it sit overnight to allow the air to escape on it's own, put the cap on loosely so no bugs etc.. get in the fluid. Add some fluid in the morning.

If your steering seems ok when you 1st drive it, you've found your problem. It will go back to what you are experiencing after a little while.

in my experience dealing with my PSC, a leak will cause the issue described. If you have a leak chances are it's also letting air to seep in which will affect your steering at low rpm.

I chased a similar issue and found a leak at the hose (couldn't see it on the black wrapped hose used), once I repaired the leak and bled the system it worked better.
raise the front axle of your jeep and remove the cap on your PS reservoir, with the key in the "ON" position and without starting the Jeep, slowly turn your wheel full lock to lock at least 10 times and let it sit overnight to allow the air to escape on it's own, put the cap on loosely so no bugs etc.. get in the fluid. Add some fluid in the morning.

If your steering seems ok when you 1st drive it, you've found your problem. It will go back to what you are experiencing after a little while.

But how would a hydraulic failure of any type allow his steering wheel to move 90-180 degrees before the wheels even move? I could see a hydraulic problem causing an intermittent hard steering concern, but not what he's having. At the same time, I have no experience with PSC systems, so maybe I'm off base here.

But how would a hydraulic failure of any type allow his steering wheel to move 90-180 degrees before the wheels even move? I could see a hydraulic problem causing an intermittent hard steering concern, but not what he's having. At the same time, I have no experience with PSC systems, so maybe I'm off base here.

Could it be an air bubble is being chased back and forth in the hoses causing the steering wheel to hit a 'dead spot' which is a momentary shortage of fluid?

Could it be an air bubble is being chased back and forth in the hoses causing the steering wheel to hit a 'dead spot' which is a momentary shortage of fluid?

But that would cause a hard steering symptom. The steering should still be 100% mechanically connected. So if his steering wheel is moving that much before the tires actually do, I would think that there would have to be something mechanically loose or disconnecting intermittently.

But that would cause a hard steering symptom. The steering should still be 100% mechanically connected. So if his steering wheel is moving that much before the tires actually do, I would think that there would have to be something mechanically loose or disconnecting intermittently.

I thought the same thing too until Jeeeep mentioned the air in the system possibility. I don't understand how something in the box could be intermittently loosening & tightening that much.
I gotta google a parts breakdown on the box....

OP - make sure you post up what the problem ended up being.

the OP states he has a momentary loss of steering at low RPM there was another post that indicated a lot of play before his steering kicks in, I'm replying to the original post

the OP states he has a momentary loss of steering at low RPM there was another post that indicated a lot of play before his steering kicks in, I'm replying to the original post

Lol. I see. I'm replying to the guy in post #8 from yesterday. This thread was originally from 2013.

Top Bottom