POLL : MORE POWER for MOBY - Supercharger or Hot Cam & Headers?

LT4 Supercharger or Hot Cam & Headers?

• LT4 Supercharger

Votes: 29 53.7%
  • Hot Cam & Headers

Votes: 23 42.6%
  • I honestly don't have a clue what either are

Votes: 2 3.7%

• Total voters
a little late to the power curve but take a look at some texas speed or maybe even hit them up and see what they can do for you.

mackey

Any updates on this? I was just given a quote for a LT4 from Motech. They are recommending the 8 speed over the 10 speed and suggest I upgrade my Atlas 2 speed to the Pro Series Atlas 2 speed.
Would you keep your 5.38 gears or go to 5.13?

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Any updates on this? I was just given a quote for a LT4 from Motech. They are recommending the 8 speed over the 10 speed and suggest I upgrade my Atlas 2 speed to the Pro Series Atlas 2 speed.
Actually, been talking to Motech more and being that we really want to swap in an LT in our Gladiator as well, we may change things up a bit for Moby. Specifically, we're kicking around the idea of going back to just a cam on Moby and doing the supercharger on the Gladiator. Not 100% sure on this though.

As far as transmissions go, the 8-speed is stronger and what I would go with as well with an LT4. Haven't given the t-case too much thought but I would trust them on this as well. As far as gears go, there really is no need for 5.38 with a V8.

mackey

Actually, been talking to Motech more and being that we really want to swap in an LT in our Gladiator as well, we may change things up a bit for Moby. Specifically, we're kicking around the idea of going back to just a cam on Moby and doing the supercharger on the Gladiator. Not 100% sure on this though.

As far as transmissions go, the 8-speed is stronger and what I would go with as well with an LT4. Haven't given the t-case too much thought but I would trust them on this as well. As far as gears go, there really is no need for 5.38 with a V8.
With running 40s a 60/80 combo and the LT4, would you drop down to 5.13s or 4.88s? Thanks

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass

5.38’s not needed but is it worth the cost to regear? Probably like $4,000 now to regear a 60/80.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
With running 40s a 60/80 combo and the LT4, would you drop down to 5.13s or 4.88s? Thanks
We're still running 5.38s and we're happy enough with. I don't have any experience running taller gears but have kicked around the idea of regearing. If I were to do it, I might try 4.88. Sorry, I wish I had more first hand experience with this to share with you.

LS JK

The 8 speed is stronger but we actually just found out yesterday (1-14) that the 8L90 went on back order. Now we have the 10L80s as the option. And honestly I really didnt want to like the 10 speeds at first but after driving Moby and alot other 10 speeds I love them. And we have multiple LT4s with 10 speeds, on 40s and they are holding up great. So if performance was your thing Id go 10 speed as it has better ratios, but if you want to wait to have the absolute strongest stuff then Id get the 8 speed. For gearing, if this is still going to be on the highway on a daily basis and you want to drive to events then go with 4.88. The torque on the LT4 is phenominal and youll be using the transmission to its advantage by not over gearing. Hope this helps 👍

mackey

So, Cindy and I have been talking to Motech and we're wanting a bit more power for Moby... maybe something in the neighborhood of 600 HP if we can. Anyway, the question I have for you is, should we do an LT4 Supercharger OR do a hot cam and headers? What say you?

20210129163659-8da2e227-me.jpg
How much HP does Moby currently have? Thx

Top Bottom