Plasti dip wheels. Again......

Emptybrass

Yes this again. Don't like the whole idea please just move along. I'll hopefully see you on a trail soon.

Being it's my first ever Jeep and not wanting to get rid of brand new wheels and tires. I decided to make them black.

I did this to my previous truck and they held up great for 2 years. Some minor touch ups but nothing major. When I sold it, it just pulled off.

So for all my new fellow jeepers I'll show you how I did it. I removed the wheels. I know you can do it on the jeep but take the time to do it right.

First step clean the wheels good.
I used sonix wheel cleaner then a wash with dawn dish soap. The sonix will remove a lot of the brake dust. (May need to do more then once if really bad) then the dawn will take care of all the grease and oils.

Second step tape the tires off.
I found this exterior painters tape that is more plastics then tape and works great. ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1402521795.573416.jpg
For the area right around the wheel use about 2" sections tucking under the wheel. I have heard of people using playing cards but this stays put in the wind.ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1402521935.310936.jpg The 2nd layer can be longer just make a solid ring. ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1402521919.826812.jpg

Take some lug nuts and tape them off right above the bevel. I also took my valve stem cap off and taped that. Also this is a good time to grab your favorite beverage ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1402522124.970954.jpg

3rd step
Lay the wheel down on some cardboard and put the lug nuts where they belong.

Now I know a lot say just dust the wheel and let dry. This is true but follow me. Hit all the tight areas first. Inside of holes, wheel lip, lug nut area. I would stay about 6-7" away. The key is not to make it look too wet. I did this for the first 2 coats then I coated the rest of the wheel. Doing light coats is key. Too close and it won't dry right. Too far away it will be feathery when dry and not smooth. I did 10 light coats for my each wheel. ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1402522413.281930.jpgImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1402522425.131029.jpg

Don't worry about taping the inside off. Wait about 48 hours then just rub it off.

As I said before my experiences doing it this way has worked for me. They will get in need of a touch up and I will explain how I dealt with this in a bit.

Any questions please let me know. I'm sorry for the poor pics from my ipotato.

I'm glad I found this site as you all have been a great help with my new jeep

looks good! another tip for you if you like. To save on tape (for other projects outside of this) if you spray the wheel with tire foam this will keep the dip from sticking to the tire and allow you just to rub it off when your done. i did that on my brothers subi when we dipped his wheels about a month ago.

looks good! another tip for you if you like. To save on tape (for other projects outside of this) if you spray the wheel with tire foam this will keep the dip from sticking to the tire and allow you just to rub it off when your done. i did that on my brothers subi when we dipped his wheels about a month ago.

Thanks for the tip. That would have made it easier. Taping took was longest part

Top Bottom