PEARL PASS: Crested Butte CO to Summit in Stock 2000 TJ

In 2000 I moved from Livermore California to Crested Butte Colorado. I knew I was going to need a winter vehicle so I bought a brand new 2000 JEEP Wrangler Sport from the dealer in Dublin/Pleasanton and drove it off the lot with only 7 miles on the odometer. After getting settled in Crested Butte, I decided to explore the surrounding Rocky Mountains. I had never owned a JEEP, any truck, or 4x4 so I was very inexperienced. So naively, I decided to take this horse trail alone in this brand new stock JEEP which had yet to have license plates attached.

I can't believe how foolish I was attempting this on my own with no other rigs accompanying me! However, I made it with only a small compressed air tank, floor jack, fire extinguisher, a couple of bags of sand, and a shovel. Fortunately nothing went wrong and I was able to make it to the 12,705 foot summit and back down to Crested Butte. I decided, wisely, not to continue to Aspen as the snow was still thick on that side of the pass.

I recently watched some current YouTube videos of this trail and can't believe that I made it past some of these areas or even remember them. Of course the trail could have changed in over 20 years creating obstacles that were not there before. In any event, in retrospect, I was pretty stupid doing this all alone back in September of 2000!

This JEEP basically was my daily for the most part and became a work truck when I moved to the Reno/Tahoe area then Back to the Bay Area. I even shipped it to Maui when I lived there for 3 years! I sold my 2000 JEEP in 2018 to my mechanic of 30 years after putting 224,000 miles on it. It currently sits at his cabin in the western Sierra's and still runs like a champ and is still only stock with no mods!

I currently own a 2001 TJ that I bought a couple of years ago with only 88,000 miles on it. These have been the best vehicles I have ever owned!

TH-ID_0001.jpg TH-ID_0002.jpg TH-ID_0003.jpg TH-ID_0004.jpg TH-ID_0005.jpg TH-ID_0007.jpg TH-ID_0009.jpg TH-ID_0010.jpg

Last edited:
Here is a recent video a two team crawler group took on August 15 2022 from Crested Butte to Aspen, a whopping 22 years since my solo endeavor.

I get the willies (pun intended) just watching this thinking I did this all alone to just the summit! I remember crossing the streams but have no recollection of the washout at the 8:28 mark of the video. It may not have been there in 2000. I seriously doubt I would of tried it in a stock JEEP! Watch as these two lifted rigs have to flex to get through it!

onlyone

Ahhh. The days when you could run those trails and rarely see many people. Cool pics! The last time I ran it, the Aspen side was pretty rough, at least in a grand Cherokee.

Top Bottom