Paypal

Jeep_Dawg08

I have a cpl questions here on selling my soft top, concerning Paypal.
I posted my top on Craigslist for sale here in sounthern Indiana, an hr later I get a txt from a guy in NY wanting to know said condition of top.
Without seeing or asking for pics, he said he would paypal the money now, then have his guy arrange for pickup of the top. Not having arrangements done before wiring the money.
I am no expert on paypal or selling things in such a manor, but because he is pushy and buying sight unseen... this seems fishy and like a scam.
I need advice or educated on how this all works.
I read the legal stuff from paypal, amd it seems that if he claims that I misclaimed the condition, something was missing, or never received that I can be forced to pay the money back + his shipping costs + any fees occurred during this sale.

Seems as though the seller isn't prtected from scams as much as I thought. And its up to the powers that be at paypal to make the decision!?
I am also wondering that simce my paypal is linked to my checking account, if he can empty that as well with just my email addy???

Need help!!!

●|||||||●

I was thinking that as well.. just ppl figuring out the loop holes in paypals system I guess.

I was wanting to sell it to get the trek top nx.
Good thing is its not a have to kinda thing. I just dont wanna get screwed.

●|||||||●

As overlander said it's a scam. I usually try to work with people locally when posting stuff on craigslist that way I can meet them and hand them cash or they can hand me cash. Usually works better that way. I will only use paypal with everyone on here since I trust you all.

Sent from my iPhone

It is a scam, I was approached the same way, but they wanted me to contact their preferred shipper and pay them to come out and pick up the merchandise, and then add the shipping fee to the cost. Then they would wire me the money upon proof of shipping arrangements. If they sent you an email from PayPal, it's not really PayPal, I noticed because they were using an older letterhead. I told them that I would send them a PayPal invoice, and I did, they stopped calling.

Just ignore it. It's a scam. I tried to sell a set of push bars from my ram on Craigslist and same thing within an hour someone wanted to pay me an extra $100 for it and wanted me to send it to FRANCE!

Sent from my obama monitoring device

I lost a $3500.00 downpayment for a piece of equipment on eBay through PayPal and they both said oh sorry for your luck. I have not looked at eBay since and that was years ago. It made me bitter towards selling and buying things to people. I'll throw stuff away before I list it for sale

As overlander said it's a scam. I usually try to work with people locally when posting stuff on craigslist that way I can meet them and hand them cash or they can hand me cash. Usually works better that way. I will only use paypal with everyone on here since I trust you all.

Sent from my iPhone

^^^This^^^ Plus when I sell stuff on Craigslist, always meet them somewhere away from your house, unless it's absolutely necessary for them to come to your house to pick the item up. I always just meet them in the Walmart or Lowe's parking lot. Call me crazy, but you can't trust anybody these days.

I've always had good luck with Craigslist but the horror stories concerning Paypal are many.
Check out Youtube - many Paypal stories of people getting scammed.
I will only Paypal people I have verified as trustworthy, I NEVER accept Paypal for payment from someone I don't know.

Ebay is a crapshoot - many sad stories there as well, mostly concerning payment.

I've even sold guns through Gunbroker.com and insisted on payment other than Paypal.

^^^this^^^ plus when i sell stuff on craigslist, always meet them somewhere away from your house, unless it's absolutely necessary for them to come to your house to pick the item up. I always just meet them in the walmart or lowe's parking lot. Call me crazy, but you can't trust anybody these days.

absolutely!!!

always meet them somewhere away from your house, unless it's absolutely necessary for them to come to your house to pick the item up. I always just meet them in the Walmart or Lowe's parking lot. Call me crazy, but you can't trust anybody these days.

Yup, I aways meet in a large public businesses parking lot

You mean you guys don't put your home address and phone number in the ad itself? :idontknow:

Yea.. I thought it was bs from the beginning.. oh well!
Sure I'll find someone that wants a soft top....lol
*hint hint* :)

●|||||||●

Well, I just sold two different items and used Paypal. I think as long as you ship it using UPS/FedEx, paypal can confirm it got delivered and you are covered. If it didn't get delivered, then the buyer can void the transaction. Otherwise I have been told to do what everyone else is saying and only take cash.

Only take PayPal from a buyer you will ship to. If you ship to a confirmed address and can show it was delivered to that address, PayPal will often side with you. Likewise if you pay with PayPal and don't receive your goods, the seller will have to prove to PayPal that it was delivered to you. When in doubt, insure your packages.

In this case this is a scam. You could tell the potential buyer that you would accept PayPal as a gift. Scammers won't pay this way because they have no leg to stand on with the scam.

They send me that all the time is a scam and people here knows that scammers think I will fall for that dumb I buy you your product for more money be I pay you shipping lol

I lost a $3500.00 downpayment for a piece of equipment on eBay through PayPal and they both said oh sorry for your luck. I have not looked at eBay since and that was years ago. It made me bitter towards selling and buying things to people. I'll throw stuff away before I list it for sale

Talking about paypal..... PM me lol

Top Bottom