Painting wheel wells..

Clifford33

Caught the Bug
Ok so iv had my fenders trimmed for quite a while now. And I'm really wanting to paint my wheel wells. Can anyone give me some advice or some comments on doing this mod. Also would love some pictures of what you guys have done. Thanks!

TennJK

I'm assuming you are just paining the rear wells. I never painted my rears, but I would imagine you just need to clean it really well and use the rattle can on it. Maybe a Berliner or a chassis paint. Just an idea

Peak

I didn't do too much prep work and I think mine turned out great. I removed my rear fenders and painted the lip as well.
Clean the wheel well completely then get some high grit sand paper and sand lightly. Tape some newspaper to cover what you do not want painted. I did a about 3 coats, 20min in between each coat. I didn't bother with clear coat.
ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1462937968.997088.jpg ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1462937986.451460.jpg

Clifford33

Caught the Bug
I'm worried about sober spray that may get on the body through the seam I've the fender and body I will put masking take there to make sure but just asking before I try it. Also will the paint chip from rocks and sand? Would I have to sand the paint first. I have the inner fender on the rear cut so it protects the paint inside and also to kinda keep it clean I may paint it and then put it back in.

Clifford33

Caught the Bug
I didn't do too much prep work and I think mine turned out great. I removed my rear fenders and painted the lip as well.
Clean the wheel well completely then get some high grit sand paper and sand lightly. Tape some newspaper to cover what you do not want painted. I did a about 3 coats, 20min in between each coat. I didn't bother with clear coat.
View attachment 202846 View attachment 202847

Good idea that looks good Thanks Peak. Are you running 35s? Also is that a stock tire carrier?

JAGS

Hooked
A folded brown paper grocery bag stuffed in the seams between the fender and body worked great for me.

In terms of prep, I just washed and dried. Then hit the body paint with some primer. Then a few coats of rustoleam pro enamel. Has lasted nearly two years.

ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1462939345.210390.jpg

JAGS

Hooked
Wow that's holding up really good thanks jags. Yeah I'm definitely going to put some primer on first.

I didn't feel like sanding and I had the primer already. It was auto primer. I think it may have helped against flaking???

For what it's worth, I'd stay away from bedlining or other textures. You don't want dirt getting built up. At least that's my $0.02. [emoji106]

Peak

Good idea that looks good Thanks Peak. Are you running 35s? Also is that a stock tire carrier?

NP. 37" BFGs, pretty close to 35's. The tire carrier is the smittybilt oversized carrier, but the stock carrier is pretty much the same.

Clifford33

Caught the Bug
I didn't feel like sanding and I had the primer already. It was auto primer. I think it may have helped against flaking???

For what it's worth, I'd stay away from bedlining or other textures. You don't want dirt getting built up. At least that's my $0.02. [emoji106]

Yeah I'm not a big fan of bed liner on my jeep. My bumpers are smittybilt and now I'm gunna stay away from the Bed liner texture aha if you know what I mean.

Clifford33

Caught the Bug
NP. 37" BFGs, pretty close to 35's. The tire carrier is the smittybilt oversized carrier, but the stock carrier is pretty much the same.

How is the tailgate holding up to the 37? I'm gunna run no rear bumper on my jeep when I can get a tire carrier. But I know that the stock carrier can hold a 35 with the bump supports jammed on the tire so I may do that but just a little worried so I leave my tire in the garage.

GoldenJK

Just finished mine. Used about 3 coats of rustoleum undercoating and need to let it dry for two days before installing fenders. Prep was just scuffing up with sand paper. It looks great and think it should hold up well. I'll let you know in a year or so....

Peak

How is the tailgate holding up to the 37? I'm gunna run no rear bumper on my jeep when I can get a tire carrier. But I know that the stock carrier can hold a 35 with the bump supports jammed on the tire so I may do that but just a little worried so I leave my tire in the garage.

No issues at all. I got this carrier to give me a little more piece of mind. 37's and beadlocks are pretty heavy, and when I go wheeling I usually strap my 4 gallon Rotopax to the tire which adds even more weight. It's been about a year and its held up, I'm really happy with it[emoji106]

Ausjeep113

ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1462950900.066163.jpg
just taped around the lip then painted where the fender attaches and then one I put my new fenders on I cleaned up under the wheel well and then just sprayed with primer and rustoleum same as what JAGS did and that was about a year ago. Been down plenty of gravel roads and holds up well.
ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1462951090.064986.jpg

Stone_JKUR

ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1462962832.852611.jpg
I used rustoleum bedliner spray paint. It took maybe an hour if that. After cleaning cleaning them a bit, I just taped off below the wheel well and sprayed from inside the well to avoid having to tape off the top portion. Easiest thing I've done to the jeep yet.

Red_rox_jk

ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1462968199.021604.jpg
I've been using this for a few years now. I've never had to bo back and touch up for chip marks. Involved minimal prep. It's only shortcoming is that it greys out in direct sunlight. Not an issue in wheels wells as mine still look good two years later. But I have had to go back and apply rustolium flat black to some other pieces that see the light of day.

Clifford33

Caught the Bug
I got the rustoleum flat black but now I think I should go semi gloss so it's easy to clean and doesn't get as dirty. I'm thinking the flat might hold the dirt more. What do you guys think?

Top Bottom