Padless cage

JK1

I don't like how faded my cover on my cage is and i know they make aftermarket covers but i think the exposed cage would look good and i'm going to be painting a Rock Hard sport cage so i was thinking just exposing it all… I'm sure there are some that have pulled the padding off there cages. I'm wondering what needs to be done to make it look nice and how hard is it? Pics would be nice too like a silver 4 door lol:beer:

thanks

I would be interested in seeing this as well.

If you decide to just freshen up the existing padding I believe they make some sort of spray paint for fabric that makes is look like new. I rememeber seeing some members on here use it.

^ the majority of the factory cage is not color matched, so get extra spray cans made up with the color from napa ($20 can) or paint it all black

I've gone with the pad less cage only spots not painted are at the bends at the back of the cage not a big deal i took it off and liked it so kept it I'll post up some pics in a little bit

Why not freshen up the pad covers? You could easily dye them back to black. I would use a fabric dye over the paint option, but both would work.

As far as running without pads, the factory cage is not painted and is pretty small compared to the thickness the pads make it appear.

If it were me I would dye the pads back to black.

Subscribed - I am in the same boat as the OP. I hate the fabric. Our 13' is already faded and it is very tough to clean. A summer project I was planning was to remove it and paint the bars. I know there is some wiring that will need to be routed inside the tube, but that is easy enough. I also plan to make some sort of cap for the rear top brace that is on my JKU. I'm curious to see what others have done.

One problem I do had without the fabric to add ass a barrier the speakers do rattle against the metal in some songs where bass is hard not terrible but something I am going to address soon

Last edited:
i pulled mine off i like the look it does look unfinished but i dont mind it. im gonna be installing my rockhard cage when i return to the states. mine was all commando green (guess they decided to paint the jeep commando then changed there mind and painted it black. Weird) so i may paint the sport cage that color too and just roll with it.

Not convinced. I prefer the padding on. But I always wondered how it would look without, thx for the pics...

I have never really taken the time to photo my cage without the padding, but I have not run any for a few years now. Here are some random shots that kind of show bits and pieces

Edit: forgot to add that I did take the time to cover the body matching gloss black paint and sprayed all exposed tubes with satin black Rustoleum spray paint. Like others have mentioned, some of the tubing is only covered with olive green primer from the factory. The satin black spray has a very low sheen to it, and is not completely dry looking like a true flat black.

image-3400687709.jpg

image-128874227.jpg

image-1967176782.jpg

image-4243897035.jpg

image-2029346219.jpg

Last edited:
Mainly because all of my decals and my front hooks are silver. It was unfinished on the rear, so i had to repaint it either way.

makes perfect sense to color match. adds a little bit of a different look which is good!

Top Bottom