Oversized Brakes for 2021 Rubicon 392

robicon63

Anyone with experience or suggestions on oversized brakes for a 2021 Jeep Rubicon 392? I was considering Teraflex, Wilwood or APB. Suggestions appreciated. Travel often with our trailer and I would like a bit more peace of mind with other inconsiderate drivers on way to destination.

robicon63

Appreciate reply. We have trailer brakes. To be more specific, would installing oversized brakes improve braking performance?

Upvote 0

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Appreciate reply. We have trailer brakes. To be more specific, would installing oversized brakes improve braking performance?
Me personally, I don’t think so. A good set of trailer brakes will always do better than better brakes on your Jeep.

Upvote 0

J. Dub

Me personally, I don’t think so. A good set of trailer brakes will always do better than better brakes on your Jeep.
Yea, @robicon63 "better brakes" is a wide open world.
For what you're doing, all you need is the brakes to not overheat when going down a steep hill and to not fade.
Considering your purposes wayoflife is right. Trailer brakes is all you need.

If you were tracking the Jeep or doing high speed desert races then you'd worry about brake fade. Then it would be time to look into larger rotors w/ calipers under those conditions.

Upvote 0

kevman65

Hooked
First, on 17" wheels there isn't any room to put anything bigger in there.

Second, the best improvement would be something with a double piston caliper, but go back to first.

Third, there is a "Big Brake" kit available, but it's expensive and I believe they say to upgrade to a 20" wheel. But I could be mistaken on that.

Upvote 0

J. Dub

First, on 17" wheels there isn't any room to put anything bigger in there.

Second, the best improvement would be something with a double piston caliper, but go back to first.

Third, there is a "Big Brake" kit available, but it's expensive and I believe they say to upgrade to a 20" wheel. But I could be mistaken on that.
Good point. I didn't think of there being no room since he's on 17" wheels.

Upvote 0
Top Bottom