Overlanding trailers

robx251

Caught the Bug
Has anyone made an overlanding trailer from the small trailers from harbor freight? I have been thinking about doing this for a little while now for my 2door too help a summer cargo capacity for this upcoming summer forcamping trips. It would also be a great way to carry my canoe.

Sent from my LG-M210 using WAYALIFE mobile app

black pearl

Hooked
I personally wouldn't use one for overlanding I put one together for someone to use as a motorcycle trailer and it flexed and twisted really bad with that on it ended up welding all bolt points to stiffen it up and the bearings are subpar for bigger tiers that being said if you were just doing fire trails to get to a camping spot I'm sure it would do fine with some small upgrades but would keep it out of the rocks

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

robx251

Caught the Bug
I personally wouldn't use one for overlanding I put one together for someone to use as a motorcycle trailer and it flexed and twisted really bad with that on it ended up welding all bolt points to stiffen it up and the bearings are subpar for bigger tiers that being said if you were just doing fire trails to get to a camping spot I'm sure it would do fine with some small upgrades but would keep it out of the rocks

Good points. I know they are el cheapo on the parts and some/most of the quality of parts. I should state that I suppose that I wouldn't be using it for "true" overlanding but for much of what you said dirt fire roads and logging roads up on the north maine woods, drag it to the camping location unload and go from there.

black pearl

Hooked
Good points. I know they are el cheapo on the parts and some/most of the quality of parts. I should state that I suppose that I wouldn't be using it for "true" overlanding but for much of what you said dirt fire roads and logging roads up on the north maine woods, drag it to the camping location unload and go from there.

For that I'm sure it would work fine for your needs as you wouldn't be putting a lot of excess stress on it... they say there rated for 2000lbs I would check it before and after trips

Brute

Hooked

I tried using one to carry extra camping gear to the beach...barely lasted a year before it fell apart

Mark W.

My son bought one of the 1000lb rated units bolted it together and has to date moved about 1100 lbs of stuff from One side of the USA to the other 3400 miles each way Oceanside VA to Salem OR and back twice. Then Oceanside to Pensacola FL then Pensacola to San Diego and two or three trips trips San Diego to Salem OR the last one with at least 1300lbs on the little trailer. He was in the US Navy at the time and used it to move his Sport bike and personal possessions.
In all them miles he repacked the bearings twice and always carried a spare set of bearings and spare tire. Never used either. His Brother in law now uses the trailer as a camping trailer with dozens of trips up into the mountains to go fishing and camping most likely less then a 500lb load. Its also been used to go pickup Jeep bodies on 200 mile one way trips.

So they might be cheap but if you take care of them the cost to value ratio is amazing.

Last edited:

Webe

IMG_0162.jpg
Built mine from ground up. I personally feel that buying a pre-made base limits you in what fits you and on suspension. :twocents:

Sharkey

Word Ninja
There are some decent plans on the net for how to reconfigure those HF trailers, and how to make them a bit stronger. I almost pulled the trigger about 6 months ago figuring even if I was $1k all in, that was still a bargain. Then I started looking at Timbren trailer suspensions and the cost of a large, locking box, both of which bumped the price up significantly so I didn't get the trailer.

Now I have my eye on Lead Dog Motorsports' trailer. It's not going to run tougher trails, but it would be perfect for 95% of everything I would ever do and I like the idea of no tent to screw with. Price point is a lot higher though, but nowhere near what a Moby1 runs.

Journeyman

I personally would not use a harbor freight trailer for this!
I have a 416 replica with a rtt and lid sitting on 32" and it's my belief that the gravel wash board roads are harder on my equipment than when I slow down and am just crawling things. But I tend to camp where I'm 50-100 miles from asphalt so my experience could be different from yours [emoji848]
Harbor freight has its place, but definitely not when there's wheels involved and being towed behind my jeep, when I'm completely off the grid!

robx251

Caught the Bug
These replies are all great info to have. I really appreciate the responses. I still haven't made up my mind. But all good info to think about.

I would like to ask if anyone here knows someone in southern california that can fabricate and mount a fresh water tank for me I would like it to fit between the rear suspension and go toward the front of the trailer I’m thinking of using a bladder in it or stainless steel? Any thought or suggestions? Have a wife and 2 kids so need enough water for dishes and short showers (will have propane tank and thankless water heater later down the build) IMG_2308.JPG

If you don't mind me asking. Where did you buy it and what did it cost?

Sent from my iPad using WAYALIFE mobile app

We put down a deposit at the four-wheel-drive store in Santa Ana and payed the balance when it became available talk to Luis he can help you

You can order it complete with the rims and tires or less rims and tires we ordered it less rims and tires saved $1000 without tax I think it was 5000

Top Bottom