Oscillating Vibration at Speed

CarolinaJK

I feel like I'm definitely over sensitive as well, but just like to be sure noises don't become problems down the road. [emoji23]

JAGS

Hooked
I feel like I'm definitely over sensitive as well, but just like to be sure noises don't become problems down the road. [emoji23]

My vibration became pretty severe after not really paying too close attention. Kept thinking it was tire balancing issue. Long story short, after the Rubicon run, the drive home was a bit worse than normal. Mentioned the situation to Eddie and few others and they all suggested driveline. Sure enough, it needed to be re-built and rebalanced.

Not saying yours is that level, but better to check things out. A decent driveline shop will check balance for nothing or close to it. A balance was only $80.

CarolinaJK

My vibration became pretty severe after not really paying too close attention. Kept thinking it was tire balancing issue. Long story short, after the Rubicon run, the drive home was a bit worse than normal. Mentioned the situation to Eddie and few others and they all suggested driveline. Sure enough, it needed to be re-built and rebalanced.

Not saying yours is that level, but better to check things out. A decent driveline shop will check balance for nothing or close to it. A balance was only $80.

Wow thats much cheaper than expected. May have to do some research for a reputable shop near me.

CarolinaJK

Well guys, finally I found out what was causing this. I paid Treadquarters to put the Dynabeads in my tires months ago. However, they shook HORRIBLY. Today, I had my tires road-forced and asked the technician how far off in weight they were. He told me there was never any beads nor weights in my tires. So needless to say, Treadquarters will be recieving a nasty call tomorrow.

WJCO

Meme King
Well guys, finally I found out what was causing this. I paid Treadquarters to put the Dynabeads in my tires months ago. However, they shook HORRIBLY. Today, I had my tires road-forced and asked the technician how far off in weight they were. He told me there was never any beads nor weights in my tires. So needless to say, Treadquarters will be recieving a nasty call tomorrow.

Bastards. Glad you found the vibration though.

EDIT: On a similar note, My brother just had to replace a set of 4 Toyo OC tires on his truck for a similar issue. He had a shop rotate them every oil change. He suspected they weren't being rotated as they had weird choppy wear. He put a chalk mark on the inside of one of them. Sure enough when he picked up his truck, it was still on the same tire. Not sure how he's going to handle it at this point.

Last edited:

CarolinaJK

Crazy how shops can just use people like that. The same shop also tried to charge me $289 to mount my tires after quoting me $66 over the phone.

Ozon8r

Re-gear vibes

I was thinking drive shaft as well. I have the same issue ever since I installed front and rear 1310 drive shafts with 513 gears. Happens while driving around 65-70 MPH. I've been chasing this problem for 80,000+ miles. Re-balanced drive shafts, new drive shafts, repeat. Still does it. :crazyeyes: I have given up trying to fix it and just drive at speeds below 65 or above 75. :cheesy: :yup:

I just upgraded to 5.13s and now have quite the massage chair running down the highway at 55-70mph. While the front DS is stock on 4.5" lift and I know it's days are numbered, the vibes went away when I removed the rear ds and ran in 4hi. I immediately suspected a rear ds balance issue. I hoped it was the ds b/c its a simple fix. I have experienced a bent shaft before and know the feeling in the driveline. However, before re-gear, the 1310 aftermarket rear ds was butter smooth at 90+ mph. No pinion/t-case angle issues. Just took the ds in today for balancing at a place that specializes in race car drivelines and a solid biz with jeeps. The ds checked out fine. I was kinda bummed but eliminated one more potential vibration source.

My tires are new and road force balanced.

I read somewhere else that I guy chased this problem for months and come to find out he had a bad master install kit with defective pinion bearing. Replacing the bearings solved the vibration he only experienced 50-75mph. He was elated and the gear installer was shocked that it wasn't a ds issue.

While I am still chasing the source, if I find a solution, I will be sure to share. But I am certain the DS is not the source.

WJCO

Meme King
I just upgraded to 5.13s and now have quite the massage chair running down the highway at 55-70mph. While the front DS is stock on 4.5" lift and I know it's days are numbered, the vibes went away when I removed the rear ds and ran in 4hi. I immediately suspected a rear ds balance issue. I hoped it was the ds b/c its a simple fix. I have experienced a bent shaft before and know the feeling in the driveline. However, before re-gear, the 1310 aftermarket rear ds was butter smooth at 90+ mph. No pinion/t-case angle issues. Just took the ds in today for balancing at a place that specializes in race car drivelines and a solid biz with jeeps. The ds checked out fine. I was kinda bummed but eliminated one more potential vibration source.

My tires are new and road force balanced.

I read somewhere else that I guy chased this problem for months and come to find out he had a bad master install kit with defective pinion bearing. Replacing the bearings solved the vibration he only experienced 50-75mph. He was elated and the gear installer was shocked that it wasn't a ds issue.

While I am still chasing the source, if I find a solution, I will be sure to share. But I am certain the DS is not the source.

Any play at the rear pinion? Or binding when spinning it by hand? Sure sounds like something in the rear end. You should try running it on a lift with a stethoscope to see if you can isolate the issue.

Ozon8r

Any play at the rear pinion? Or binding when spinning it by hand? Sure sounds like something in the rear end. You should try running it on a lift with a stethoscope to see if you can isolate the issue.

Great recommendation. I'm taking the jeep back to the installer Wednesday, a well respected gear guy in Denver. I'll be sure to mention this as a troubleshooting technique.

JeepFan

Hooked
Great recommendation. I'm taking the jeep back to the installer Wednesday, a well respected gear guy in Denver. I'll be sure to mention this as a troubleshooting technique.

I hope you have better luck than me. Keep us posted.

Ozon8r

I hope you have better luck than me. Keep us posted.

Having experienced both a low frequency oscillating vibration felt primarily in the steering wheel and a high frequency vibration on two different occasions felt in the seat of the vehicle here is what I did to resolve.

Oscillation was resolved through balancing the tires, replacing the stock ball joints and re-fabricating the axle side trackbar connection. The primary cause was tires out of balance. However, running the jeep hard off-road on big tired wore out the stock ball joints and the track bar bolt hole on the axle.

The vibration in the seat for both instances related to the driveline. The first issue related to bending the rear driveshaft on French Creek obstacle on Holy Cross trail in Colorado. The symptom was a high frequency vibration at highway speeds. The correction was replacing the stock ds with a custom 1310 ds and new yokes on both ends, t-case and pinion.

The second vibration issue related to a bent pinion yoke somehow bent during a new gear install (I suspect a hammer was used to remove). The symptoms were similar to the bent ds experienced on Holy Cross. I used a dial indicator which showed a 3/100th" which is significant runout that reversed when rotating the ds 180 degrees in the yoke which indicates a yoke or pinion problem. Replacing the rear pinion yoke resolved this issue. With the new yoke, the run out is less than 2/1000th", no problem.

Last edited:
Top Bottom